House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marko

The Bbc Is Twisting The Truth...

Just been watching BBC News 24, and the rolling news bar at the bottom of the screen has left my mouth open.

First line: "House price growth continues to slow according to Nationwide"

Insinuation - house prices are still growing

Reality - no they f**king well are NOT!

Second Line: "August Housing loans surge to highest level of a year"

Insinuation - confidence has returned, it is SURGING, SURGING I tell you!

Reality - No it is f**king well NOT!!

By referring to Annualised house price figures they are technically not lying here, but they are seriously twisting the truth, and the emotive "surge" language really annoys me! :angry:

When annualised figures go negative, I think only then will they have nowhere left to hide, and the shit will hit the fan for a lot of stupid people who until then were deceived.

Just been watching BBC News 24, and the rolling news bar at the bottom of the screen has left my mouth open.

First line: "House price growth continues to slow according to Nationwide"

Insinuation - house prices are still growing

Reality - no they f**king well are NOT!

Second Line: "August Housing loans surge to highest level of a year"

Insinuation - confidence has returned, it is SURGING, SURGING I tell you!

Reality - No it is f**king well NOT!!

By referring to Annualised house price figures they are technically not lying here, but they are seriously twisting the truth, and the emotive "surge" language really annoys me! :angry:

When annualised figures go negative, I think only then will they have nowhere left to hide, and the shit will hit the fan for a lot of stupid people who until then were deceived.

If I hear one more "annualised" figure I'm going to scream. Imagine living in a hurricane-torn place having lost everyone you know, to be told that "annually" it is extremely unlikely to be hit by a hurricane.

VP

If I hear one more "annualised" figure I'm going to scream. Imagine living in a hurricane-torn place having lost everyone you know, to be told that "annually" it is extremely unlikely to be hit by a hurricane.

VP

Have no fear. As soon as annualised prices are negative, they will be talking about decade prices, etc...

When it goes YoY negative, these phucks will either twist it some other way or keep their

mouths shut about it then! They are so annoying!!! :angry:

Guest growl

VP

Hey if you had watched BBC News 24 today you would have seen lots of spinning by their blond business tart Julie. Basically saying it was just a soft landing and the really good news was that people would now be able to get back into the property market. :rolleyes:

Dude if you don't like what the man on the telly is saying, switch it off, better still stop paying your license fee. I have to say compared to SKY, the beeb seem like brain surgeons, apart for Miss kaplinsky, shes just a brain donor.

When I worked in TV land most of the journos I knew got their stories from:

1. Newspapers & magazines

2. Radio

3. Press releases faxed through to the newsroom.

Likewise, most newspaper journos I knew got their stories from:

1. TV

Very little investigative journalism went on IMPO.

Dude if you don't like what the man on the telly is saying, switch it off, better still stop paying your license fee. I have to say compared to SKY, the beeb seem like brain surgeons, apart for Miss kaplinsky, shes just a brain donor.

Luckily I lodge (£200 pcm all in) and I don't pay the license fee....or inflation-busting council tax....or massively hiked gas energy bills...or anything else. What I do get is SKY TV and wireless broadband internet access.

My landlord is a great bloke...but sometimes I feel like I am taking advantage of him :D .

Anyway - to the moderators - keep this site backed up somewhere...when this whole thing is in full steam, we should take some of the choicest observations of VI spin that are amassed here, and then present them on a separate web page, dated and compared to the statistical reality.

I am reminded of The Running Man - 'Killian is lying to you'. Only now it is 'Kaplinsky is lying to you'.

Personally I wish she was lying on me. :rolleyes:

When I worked in TV land most of the journos I knew got their stories from:

1. Newspapers & magazines

2. Radio

3. Press releases faxed through to the newsroom.

Likewise, most newspaper journos I knew got their stories from:

1. TV

Very little investigative journalism went on IMPO.

and nowadays they just copy/paste off the internet :rolleyes:

But my local free paper says the housing market will be booming again at Christmas...

In which case that opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

But my local free paper says the housing market will be booming again at Christmas...

Thats right, Santas elves are now in the market looking, there's millions of the buggers snapping up everything in sight, buy, buy, ****ing buy.

:D:D:D

Guest Bart of Darkness

Christmas is hardly a boom time for housing, even when the market is healthy.

Maybe they mean Christmas 2010?

Christmas is hardly a boom time for housing, even when the market is healthy.

Maybe they mean Christmas 2010?

Just wondering if there is a "we want to move in before Christmas" rush in the UK like there is in Oz? I'm thinking that it probably isn't as significant in Northern hemisphere countries due to the seasonal factors???

VP

Exactly. It's like telling people that although they have been ravaged by wind speeds of upto 190mph, if you take the average wind speed over the course of the previous year it was only 20mph. Therefore everything is ok and there is no hurricane.

yes, the headline was...... ''House prices slow''.......followed by ''prices up 1.8% in past 12 months''......

Then hidden away underneath ...'' prices last month fell by 0.2% the same as month before''........

Presenting it like this is blatant spin!......worthy of Alistair Campbell

Edited by Michael