House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
leicestersq

Farmers Looking For A Handout

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13683270

Here we go. I thought that a bit of a health scare was just a business risk of farming. It is one of those risks that you have to accept as part of the business.

But no I was wrong, the taxpayer is being asked to dig deep once again for something that is nothing to do with them, because, well err er, the bigwigs have more power than you and can do this and no one in the EU nor Parliament is prepared to stand up for the little people and say no because someone might just expose them in retaliation for all the overblown expense claims that they have made.

So dig deep for those unable to bear the burden of risk that they should be carrying themselves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13683270

Here we go. I thought that a bit of a health scare was just a business risk of farming. It is one of those risks that you have to accept as part of the business.

But no I was wrong, the taxpayer is being asked to dig deep once again for something that is nothing to do with them, because, well err er, the bigwigs have more power than you and can do this and no one in the EU nor Parliament is prepared to stand up for the little people and say no because someone might just expose them in retaliation for all the overblown expense claims that they have made.

So dig deep for those unable to bear the burden of risk that they should be carrying themselves.

Cucumbers, salads and the like are being ploughed back into the fields as there are few buyers. The farmers hit by this still have to pay wages and plant seed for next year's crops. Sure, a health scare is a risk of farming, but these days farming euro-wide. You didn't think those tomatoes and salads you bought in Tesco's this week were grown in the UK, did you?

The scare has hit farms in most euro countries. If Joe Bloggs and M. Dauphin and their kids are too scared to buy the stuff , what else can be done? Allow the farmers to go bust, make 100's of thousands unemployed and then have to import the stuff next year at increased prices because there's no-one left in Europe to grow it?

I'm all for the taxpayer being spared, but he won't be happy in 12mnths time when he has no cucumber sandwich, tomatos or lettuce...

Personally I could do without. Ditto with cereal when there's crop failures. Same with meat products when BSE hit us. But the majority will panic buy like they did in the 60s-70s every time there was a scare. 2hrs for a bag of sugar anyone?

Cucumbers, salads and the like are being ploughed back into the fields as there are few buyers. The farmers hit by this still have to pay wages and plant seed for next year's crops. Sure, a health scare is a risk of farming, but these days farming euro-wide. You didn't think those tomatoes and salads you bought in Tesco's this week were grown in the UK, did you?

I've done accounts for lots of farms, there is barely any labour involved it is ALL mechanised. I've done the accounts for the bloke in the middle of the M62 as well and he got rid of his farm hand ages ago.

The scare has hit farms in most euro countries. If Joe Bloggs and M. Dauphin and their kids are too scared to buy the stuff , what else can be done? Allow the farmers to go bust, make 100's of thousands unemployed and then have to import the stuff next year at increased prices because there's no-one left in Europe to grow it?

Yup, because the ones left over will pick over the corpses of the old ones and create bigger and bigger farms.

I've done accounts for lots of farms, there is barely any labour involved it is ALL mechanised. I've done the accounts for the bloke in the middle of the M62 as well and he got rid of his farm hand ages ago.

Yup, because the ones left over will pick over the corpses of the old ones and create bigger and bigger farms.

Here's a thought... they could put aside a little each year, as a sort of "insurance policy"... then, when the crops failed, then they would have enough money to tide them over, and to buy the seed for next years crop.

Crazy, I know.

Are we all so reliant on debt that we cannot buffer for anything anymore? I weep.

Is this why you are always between jobs? A lack of professional silence?

Here's a thought... they could put aside a little each year, as a sort of "insurance policy"... then, when the crops failed, then they would have enough money to tide them over, and to buy the seed for next years crop.

Crazy, I know.

Are we all so reliant on debt that we cannot buffer for anything anymore? I weep.

Hold on buy their seed? They fell for the Monsanto razorblade handles sales trick? Suckers.

Is this why you are always between jobs? A lack of professional silence?

Nah.. I haven't been an accountant foryears now. I no longer consider myself an accountant either. Nor do I really care about the joke ethics accountancy bodies claim to hold when they are bent and twisted out of all proportion purely to make money.

I'm all for the taxpayer being spared, but he won't be happy in 12mnths time when he has no cucumber sandwich, tomatos or lettuce...

Personally I could do without. Ditto with cereal when there's crop failures. Same with meat products when BSE hit us. But the majority will panic buy like they did in the 60s-70s every time there was a scare. 2hrs for a bag of sugar anyone?

Yes, allow farmers to go bust.

The shrewd ones will still be producing next year, and if others go under because they havent accounted for this, then the shrewd ones will be able to charge a higher price for their product.

The problem with a handout like this is you will get everyone putting in a claim, the thing will get out of hand. You dont think that those relatively unaffected by all this are going to not bother claiming do you?

Afraid so... Without debt the Banksters wouldn't be able to make so much money... We cannot have that now, can we?

High time the Banksters were made to entertain us if they want the money so bad...

Edited by MrFlibble

Most of our salads and Greens are grown using hydroponics in Holland

Hydroponics has got to be one of the easiest ways to contaminate a crop with a potential killer virus - bug

Yes, allow farmers to go bust.

Couldn't agree more. Farmers are the biggest, fattest welfare queens in the world.

Think about it. You have never met a farmer who hasn't got his hand out, and you've never met a farmer who drives a shit car. Nationalise all the productive land in the country with zero compensation. After all we've paid for it many times over in subsidies.

Couldn't agree more. Farmers are the biggest, fattest welfare queens in the world.

Think about it. You have never met a farmer who hasn't got his hand out, and you've never met a farmer who drives a shit car. Nationalise all the productive land in the country with zero compensation. After all we've paid for it many times over in subsidies.

Those "farmers" are shrewd:

Two other north-east farming businesses – Craigellachie-based Glenmore Properties, and Ross Bros, of Strichen – have also received £1million-plus awards from the single farm payment (SFP) regime.

Glenmore Properties is run by Stephen Strathdee and his family. Mr Strathdee has been among the main buyers of SFP after purchasing several farms in Moray on which he grows malting barley and vegetables.

"On which he grows malting barley and vegetables"..... and housing developments

http://www.strathdeeproperties.com/about.html