House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

We Are All Potential Terrorists In Possession Of Explosives

39636.jpg

Take Cover!

"If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to be afraid of," goes the usual defence of ever greater state snooping. If you subscribe to that view consider this: knowing the missus buys the odd scented candle could be all the justification the authorities need to break your door down at 4 am.

"WUT! WHY?"

I hear you ask. Just take a look at this sentence from PART 1, Article 2(1) of the Manufacture & Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005

“explosive substance” means a substance or preparation, not including a substance or

preparation in a solely gaseous form or in the form of vapour, which is

( a ) capable by chemical reaction in itself of producing gas at such a temperature and pressure

and at such a speed as could cause damage to surroundings; or

( b ) designed to produce an effect by heat, light, sound, gas or smoke, or a combination of

these as a result of a non-detonative, self-sustaining, exothermic chemical reaction;

A candle produces "an effect" of illumination "by light... as a result of a non-detonative, self-sustaining, exothermic chemical reaction", known commonly as burning. That means a candle perfectly fits the definition of an explosive substance.

So next time you hear about a raid discovering "explosive substances" make sure you are clear we aren't talking about a 6 pack of Boots scented hibiscus and patchouli !

Oh I thought you ment farting... which is potentially more deadly as you are personal involved in the manufacturing process of said gas...

So next time you hear about a raid discovering "explosive substances" make sure you are clear we aren't talking about a 6 pack of Boots scented hibiscus and patchouli !

Yup, there was a terrorist raid recently a few months back. Whereby the police said he had 15 litres of a flamable explosive substance..... My motorbike holds 19.5 litres of a flamable explosive substance too!

How the world has changed since I was a child.

We used to make wonderful bombs, high explosive, incendiary, smoke, you name it we made it :D. Beats me how we managed not to blow ourselves up though.

In those days most kids had air rifles and some of us had shotguns. Nobody got injured by them.

In those days most kids had air rifles and some of us had shotguns. Nobody got injured by them.

Well, not badly anyway. On the whole. Kids will be kids and accidents do happen.

How the world has changed since I was a child.

We used to make wonderful bombs, high explosive, incendiary, smoke, you name it we made it :D. Beats me how we managed not to blow ourselves up though.

Yeah I feel the same way. We used to make potato cannons all the time, one day we used petrol instead of Lynx and instead of a potato we used a tin of beans. :lol: we never saw the tin of beans or where it landed but it went out of view.

More fun was had with a big steel man hole cover. Whereby we'd get something which went bang, stick it under the steel cover and stand on the man hole cover, we never managed to make anything which could throw us clear or launch up very high up. The best we made was one that jumped about half a foot but it felt like you'd had ten rounds with Tyson.

Or the stupidity we had with a vice. Whereby we'd get those devil banger things about ten packs, stick them in a bottle, then top it up with gun caps the plastic red ones were better than the paper ones. Put the cap on the bottle. We'd stick it in a vice. Then we'd take turns on tightening it 1/4 of a turn until it blew up in our faces which never hurt us but was oh so funny.

Yeah I feel the same way. We used to make potato cannons all the time, one day we used petrol instead of Lynx and instead of a potato we used a tin of beans. :lol: we never saw the tin of beans or where it landed but it went out of view.

More fun was had with a big steel man hole cover. Whereby we'd get something which went bang, stick it under the steel cover and stand on the man hole cover, we never managed to make anything which could throw us clear or launch up very high up. The best we made was one that jumped about half a foot but it felt like you'd had ten rounds with Tyson.

Or the stupidity we had with a vice. Whereby we'd get those devil banger things about ten packs, stick them in a bottle, then top it up with gun caps the plastic red ones were better than the paper ones. Put the cap on the bottle. We'd stick it in a vice. Then we'd take turns on tightening it 1/4 of a turn until it blew up in our faces which never hurt us but was oh so funny.

we used to put tins of beans on a hexamine stove and leave them cooking to the point that the can expanded and exploded. The noise is deafening and boiling beans on the skin tend to hurt a little.

We also used to do a good range of things with deconstructed fireworks, especially ones like airbombs which had what was like a small lump of pe in the center.

We never went out fishing without our air rifles in the rod bags either. We did have a few injuries shooting each other across the ponds in the middle of the night but nothing that didnt go down in a couple of days :lol:

Thinking about it, maybe it is just as well that they banned all that sh1t :D

we used to put tins of beans on a hexamine stove and leave them cooking to the point that the can expanded and exploded. The noise is deafening and boiling beans on the skin tend to hurt a little.

We also used to do a good range of things with deconstructed fireworks, especially ones like airbombs which had what was like a small lump of pe in the center.

We never went out fishing without our air rifles in the rod bags either. We did have a few injuries shooting each other across the ponds in the middle of the night but nothing that didnt go down in a couple of days :lol:

Thinking about it, maybe it is just as well that they banned all that sh1t :D

Yes, when I was maybe 18 or 19, just before the trouble started properly in NI, I used to drive round with my .22 rifle on the back seat of the car. Perfectly legal. When I told a younger guy about it a few years ago he thought I was taking the p1ss.

Found a page on the HSE website to submit queries and basically asked them if I need an explosives manufacturing licence to make scented candles. Let's see what they say.

On the issue of the banning / regulation of explosives and other chemicals, as a child I'd spend hours in my dad's garage trying to execute all the bestest experiments (read ones that make pyrotechnic effects). Save having to rinse my eyes now and again, nothing bad happened. The one thing I can say is that w/o all those *interesting* parts of chemistry, I'd never have drummed up the enthusiasm to go on to study the same at Oxford. And whilst I had a few minor near misses in that garage with my own eyesight, at least I never became so blind as to be unable to see the reason why chemistry has since died a death in the classroom.