House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

muggle

Striking Traffic Wardens Bring Country To Its Knees

Parking fears ahead of Southampton wardens' strike

The leader of Southampton City Council has said he believes most drivers will pay for parking - despite all the city's traffic wardens going on strike.

They are striking for a week from 31 May as part of "rolling" industrial action by city council workers.

The council said managers could be used to empty parking machines and issue tickets during the action.

But a Unison spokesman said they would not have the training or the authority to stand in for the wardens.

Royston Smith, leader of the Conservative-run council, said: "I am confident that the majority of people will abide by the parking rules in the city next week...

...Andy Straker, from Unison, said of the council's 40 traffic workers, all but two were members of either Unison or Unite.

"Our understanding is every single one is coming out [on strike]," he said. He explained that the two non-union workers were on long-term sick leave.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13574109

You seriously couldn't make this stuff up! :lol:

Edited: Because I can

In other news...

Southampton Itchen Bridge toll workers start strike

About 20 toll collectors working on Southampton's Itchen Bridge have started a week-long strike in a dispute over pay cuts.

It follows industrial action by the city council's parking wardens and binmen, who are protesting over a reduction in wages of up to 5.5%...

...The Itchen Bridge remains open and managers will work there during peak times, although motorcycles are not being charged.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-13678873

This always makes me laugh. I think public sector workers striking is great, saves a fortune in wages.

The council can leave the bin men on strike for 3 weeks, offer the bin men their 5.5% back and still have saved money :lol:

Where is the best place to strike a traffice warden?....behind the knees is always a laugh.

Hopefully it will be the Diversity Officers out on the picket line next. I wonder if Southampton will suddenly be overrun by white middle class males if the DOs strike for a couple of weeks.....

:lol::lol::lol:

Sorry but that really tickled me....

This always makes me laugh. I think public sector workers striking is great, saves a fortune in wages.

The council can leave the bin men on strike for 3 weeks, offer the bin men their 5.5% back and still have saved money :lol:

Union reps generally have little or no understanding of finance. If they did they wouldn't be union reps.

Union reps generally have little or no understanding consideration of finance. If they did they wouldn't be union reps.

Oh they understand, they just don't care that we have to pay for it.

You try cutting their wages to see how much understanding they have all of a sudden.

But these lot perform an useful function, and bring revenue in.

Where is the best place to strike a traffice warden?....behind the knees is always a laugh.

I must admit, that's how I first read the thread title........

Lol didn't have the training to be a warden.

It would take 30 minutes MAX to figure out how to use the machines.The jaded persona may take a little longer to manufacture though.

It would take 30 minutes MAX to figure out how to use the machines.The jaded persona may take a little longer to manufacture though.

..quite, and most shocking, the managers cant take over because they don't know how to do the job, what do they do all day sit around drinking tea and reading the papers for a living?

The jaded persona may take a little longer to manufacture though.

They could get any wannabe copper security guard in, they all have the same desire for a bit of power.

Edited: Because I can

The 2 wardens who arent union members are both on long term sick...I wonder how many of the union members are also on long term sick...must be a really stressful job.

What a brilliant story - the first time Ive seen a strike that the public really wont be affected negatively by & really wont give a toss if their demands arent met.

I suspect however that council coffers will be desperate however...

Yes, but nowadays they probably need a degree in traffic wardenry and membership to the professional institute for stationary traffic disciplinary management.

Yes, but nowadays they probably need a degree in traffic wardenry and membership to the professional institute for stationary traffic disciplinary management.

You don't... I very nearly sold my soul to become a traffic enforcement patrol person in London, it paid £17 an hour and you got £2 commission after your 10th ticket. Somebody I know who did sell their soul told me all you needed was a CBT t oride the scooters and the ability to type into a keypad and take photos.

They got £17 an hour on account of it being danger money as they got attacked quite frequently.

You don't... I very nearly sold my soul to become a traffic enforcement patrol person in London, it paid £17 an hour and you got £2 commission after your 10th ticket. Somebody I know who did sell their soul told me all you needed was a CBT t oride the scooters and the ability to type into a keypad and take photos.

They got £17 an hour on account of it being danger money as they got attacked quite frequently.

Yes, but were you born in this country?

Hopefully it will be the Diversity Officers out on the picket line next. I wonder if Southampton will suddenly be overrun by white middle class males if the DOs strike for a couple of weeks.....

Little chance of anyone white or middle class over-running Southampton anytime soon.

Southampton and Portsmouth: town planning courtesy of the Luftwaffe.

What a brilliant story - the first time Ive seen a strike that the public really wont be affected negatively by & really wont give a toss if their demands arent met.

Unless someone's house burns down with their kids inside because an illegally parked car has blocked the fire engine.

Unless someone's house burns down with their kids inside because an illegally parked car has blocked the fire engine.

The fire brigade have the right to utterly destroy anything in their way with no comeback if illegally parked.

They'd just roll right over most cars without a care in the world.

That wouldnt happen, the strike brigade like nothing more than ploughing through parked cars.

The fire brigade have the right to utterly destroy anything in their way with no comeback if illegally parked.

They'd just roll right over most cars without a care in the world.

What about ambulances?

I wonder how much it costs to run the department. 40 staff+pensions etc must easily be a tidy £1M+ a year, which is probably 35,000 tickets a year (£30 fine?).

Between 38 of them, that's about 16 tickets a week just to stand still. Talk about creating a monster.

Of course, there is a serious function to traffic enforcement regarding safety which has been all but lost these days, but how many would you need to do that?

What about ambulances?

....they dont put out burning down houses :P

besides which, if someone is going to park in a place that could cause such a restriction do you think that some tosser in a shiny jacket with a fine pad is going to stop them? A ticket on the windscreen doesnt move cars parked in stupid places.