House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Embarrassing Fat Bodies C4

Anyone see this? Not tremendously helpful. Seems that most of the people on could be cured with expensive operations. The "price" for the operation being to bare all on national TV!

One woman had lost a lot of weight. However the resulting body was like something out of a horror film, with skin folds everywhere (the skin doesn't tighten of flick back after weight loss). So she had to be packed off to a Harley Street doctor for surgery, bingo wings cut off and boobs implanted. She would probably have looked better, staying fat!

Another woman had a flabby (private area) which made embarrassing noises during intercourse. She had to go on a diet before they would operate and once again had succeeded in loosing. She was pretty "fit" to be honest, running about. Feel sorry for the fat birds who I suspect don't particularly eat a lot. try and keep fit and still end up getting fat, because modern day dietary advise is so appalling bad and behind the curve.

The usually exhortations to loose weight, eat less, but the message is starting to wear a little thin. It shouldn't be this hard to stay healthy and maintain a decent weight.

I dont really understand why the "eat less" message is becoming tiresome or wearing thin.

There really isnt much more to it unless excercise is involved.

If you are putting on weight then you are eating more calories than your body needs doing what you do normally.

If you are losing weight then you are not eating enough calories for what you are doing.

It really is that simple. If you want to lose weight then either eat less calories or do more excercise and force your body to tap into the fat supplies.

I dont really understand why the "eat less" message is becoming tiresome or wearing thin.

If you are putting on weight then you are eating more calories than your body needs doing what you do normally.

If you are losing weight then you are not eating enough calories for what you are doing.

It really is that simple. If you want to lose weight then either eat less calories or do more excercise and force your body to tap into the fat supplies.

But your body has a pretty good regulatory mechanism. The quesiton you have to ask is why people keep eating when they have had enough calories? The body can detect glucose and it can detect fatty acids imbibed and has mechanisms to tell you to stop eating.

The answer is fructose, which is converted directly into fatty acids and isn't detected by the body. Avoiding fat in your diet isn't the answer; you will naturally stop eating it when you have had enough. It's sugar and high fructose corn syrup that is in almost everything processed (especially those foods that are low fat and need something to make them taste less like cardboard.) Your body just doesn't detect the fructose calories. Fruit juice is also very bad for you for similar reasons.

Sugar consumption per capita in the west has gone from a few kilograms per year at the beginning of the 20th century to 40kg or so per person now. Half of those calories don't show up on the body's radar. There are those who have argued quite convincingly that it is the increase in fructose consumption that is the cause of the surge in heart disease rather than fat directly consumed.

There are quite a few people making this point at present. Here is one: link

I think it has more to do with what is being eaten tbh. It takes time for the body to register chemical changes and it takes time for you to feel full.

You could feel just as full from a plate full of salad as from a plate full of pizza but you could probably eat either before the body registers much.

Overweight people are not that way because they are scoffing kilo's of carrots and cabbage.

Like I said, too many calories - that simple. (apple juice/fructose is high in calories....like I said....)

I think it has more to do with what is being eaten tbh. It takes time for the body to register chemical changes and it takes time for you to feel full.

You could feel just as full from a plate full of salad as from a plate full of pizza but you could probably eat either before the body registers much.

Overweight people are not that way because they are scoffing kilo's of carrots and cabbage.

Like I said, too many calories - that simple. (apple juice/fructose is high in calories....like I said....)

Nope, although food bulk does have an effect on calorie consumption. Calories are not simply calories. Here's a link with a researcher discussing the issue. The body (and brain in particular) reacts very differently to fructose and glucose:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ6fLpQ5518

It is still early days, but a lot of serious people are beginning to take an interest in this, e.g. this paper.

(As to you statement about fruit juice - sure, but you will feel much more satiated from a glass of half fat milk than you will from coke or fruit juice, yet the calories are more or less the same per unit volume.)

I have looked into what you are saying in the past when you posted about it. It is interesting and would explain quite a bit imo but my point was about the simple calorie intake.

If my body needs 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight then it doesnt matter if I take that on in apple juice, chocolate or veg because my body will use it.

If I am taking on 2500 calories then I will gain weight no matter how healthy those calories are.

The short version though is that overweight people eat too many calories largely because they eat too much sh1t.

I have looked into what you are saying in the past when you posted about it. It is interesting and would explain quite a bit imo but my point was about the simple calorie intake.

If my body needs 2000 calories a day to maintain my weight then it doesnt matter if I take that on in apple juice, chocolate or veg because my body will use it.

If I am taking on 2500 calories then I will gain weight no matter how healthy those calories are.

The short version though is that overweight people eat too many calories largely because they eat too much sh1t.

Sure. You are correct at one level. It is a simple energy balance.

I suppose the point I am addressing is why most people could balance their energy intake 50 years ago better than they do now. I don't think it has too much to do with exercise etc. (and there are a number of studies that support this) and I don't think it has anything to do with fat intake as we have gone from getting 40% of our calories from fat to 30% whilst obesity has gone through the roof, rather I suspect it is the way the regulatory mechanisms of our brains react to the food we now eat.

My solution would be the same as yours. Avoid sugar and other crap. Eat meat, veg etc. People I know who have done this have lost a lot of weight quite quickly without consciously restricting calorie intake, i.e. "dieting."

Sure. You are correct at one level. It is a simple energy balance.

I suppose the point I am addressing is why most people could balance their energy intake 50 years ago better than they do now. I don't think it has too much to do with exercise etc. (and there are a number of studies that support this) and I don't think it has anything to do with fat intake as we have gone from getting 40% of our calories from fat to 30% whilst obesity has gone through the roof, rather I suspect it is the way the regulatory mechanisms of our brains react to the food we now eat.

My solution would be the same as yours. Avoid sugar and other crap. Eat meat, veg etc. People I know who have done this have lost a lot of weight quite quickly without consciously restricting calorie intake, i.e. "dieting."

I think that the biggest difference with the past is that food had to be made from scratch. If you wanted a meal it had to be cooked. If you wanted a pudding it had to be made. Nothing came out of plastic pots or wrappers and no cook added the crap that is in processed food now.

Cutting out the crap is restricting calorie intake though. There are ways that people could eat all day long and still lose weight but people that are large are generally that way because they shove two double whoppers in their face at lunchtime and then have pizza for dinner.

I need to eat 1g of protein per kilo of bodyweight just to maintain my weight. If I am training and want to build muscle then I need to be eating more than 2g's. I also have to take on carbs and fats. If I dont regularly eat some fat then when my body gets some it will make a point of storing it rather than using it and burning it. Food gets complicated when doing certain things but I cant think of anything easier than overweight people being able to lose weight tbh.

The fructose thing was interesting and something i didn't know about previously. However, the evidence appears to be that a high fat diet combined with fructose increases weight gain (http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/295/5/R1370.short).

The funny thing is that back in the day when we all lived in caves and had to hunt for our food, these people would have been the most successful in that environment. The ability to gain weight rapidly is therefore an evolutionary throwback to to these times and we are in a transition period where this trait is no longer required.

I need to eat 1g of protein per kilo of bodyweight just to maintain my weight. If I am training and want to build muscle then I need to be eating more than 2g's. I also have to take on carbs and fats. If I dont regularly eat some fat then when my body gets some it will make a point of storing it rather than using it and burning it. Food gets complicated when doing certain things but I cant think of anything easier than overweight people being able to lose weight tbh.

The body is a fat burner by design. Analyse the stuff that the body stores as "fat" and it isn't too different to the stuff you put in your car as biofuel. The problem is that modern diet tends to dictate that the body burns glucose (loads of carbs).

Yes to some extent its an input/output problem, but whether the body stores fat or burns it is decided by hormones and in particular insulin. You can tell if people have an insulin problem by the shape of their bodies as its a marker for potential Type 2 diabetes. Also certain foods like wheat have "insulin like" properties. Part of the answer is cutting down (obviously) as generally there is a better hormone balance with diet restriction, and secondly avoiding foods that spike insulin.

As for the programme two brothers had gastric surgery, one markedly lost weight (we were not told about the other) but thats a very drastic procedure and costing the NHS increasing amounts.

Speeding up the metabolism would help with weight loss and is far more relevant than hormones imo.

Giving the metabolism a kick as soon as you wake up with a small breakfast is most important. It would then be better to smaller amounts more regularly rather than 3 large meals a day. I eat 6 times a day but that is to take on protein, however, I would likely do the same if trying to drop weight. Little and often but it must be sensible food with calories controlled because a piece of pizza every hour wont work :)

Speeding up the metabolism would help with weight loss and is far more relevant than hormones imo.

Giving the metabolism a kick as soon as you wake up with a small breakfast is most important. It would then be better to smaller amounts more regularly rather than 3 large meals a day. I eat 6 times a day but that is to take on protein, however, I would likely do the same if trying to drop weight. Little and often but it must be sensible food with calories controlled because a piece of pizza every hour wont work :)

Why do you need to eat, to boost metabolism by eating? Why not do some press ups, go for a walk or run? Insulin determines if the food you eat gets burned or stored. The morning high wheat cereal will raise blood glucose and shut down fat burning for hours.

A BS meter is pretty cheap these days (though the strips are expensive) so it can be an eye opener seeing how so called healthy foods can raise blood sugar.

The media won't come out against cereal / bread manufacturers as its big business and potential advertising. If you think the VI in housing is bad, its nothing when it comes to selling CRAP as "healthy eating."

Why do you need to eat, to boost metabolism by eating? Why not do some press ups, go for a walk or run? Insulin determines if the food you eat gets burned or stored. The morning high wheat cereal will raise blood glucose and shut down fat burning for hours.

A BS meter is pretty cheap these days (though the strips are expensive) so it can be an eye opener seeing how so called healthy foods can raise blood sugar.

The media won't come out against cereal / bread manufacturers as its big business and potential advertising. If you think the VI in housing is bad, its nothing when it comes to selling CRAP as "healthy eating."

Eating first thing starts the metabolism off for the day. Eating regularly keeps your body working. This is well known and understood. The body takes longer to deal with 3 large meals and stores more as fat than if given 6 or 7 smaller meals or snacks.

No one mentioned high wheat cerial, that sh1t is no good for your insides. I was thinking banana or yoghurt or melon or porridge etc etc.

Agree entirely on the cerial/bread thing. I cant believe they have the balls to advertise that crap as healthy.

Eating first thing starts the metabolism off for the day. Eating regularly keeps your body working. This is well known and understood. The body takes longer to deal with 3 large meals and stores more as fat than if given 6 or 7 smaller meals or snacks.

No one mentioned high wheat cerial, that sh1t is no good for your insides. I was thinking banana or yoghurt or melon or porridge etc etc.

Agree entirely on the cerial/bread thing. I cant believe they have the balls to advertise that crap as healthy.

Fruit is basically natures junk food, and also raises sugar levels, so should really be moderated, as should juices and smoothies. Sorry don't buy the constantly stuffing food argument. Humans were designed to run probably days without food, without issue, hence why we have fat stores. The idea we can't last till lunch time without a refill is ridiculous.

If only ...

Fruit is basically natures junk food, and also raises sugar levels, so should really be moderated, as should juices and smoothies. Sorry don't buy the constantly stuffing food argument. Humans were designed to run probably days without food, without issue, hence why we have fat stores. The idea we can't last till lunch time without a refill is ridiculous.

No, there are a number of bad fruits that are high in fructose or have more fructose than glucose but there are a lot of good fruits too.

Pinched from wiki to save time....

Unfavorable foods (i.e. more fructose than glucose)

Fruit — apple, pear, guava, honeydew melon, nashi fruit, pawpaw, papaya, quince, star fruit, watermelon;

Dried fruit - apple, currant, date, fig, pear, raisin, sultana;

Fortified wines

Foods containing added sugars, such as agave nectar, some corn syrups, and fruit juice concentrates.

Favorable foods (i.e. fructose equal to or less than glucose)

Stone fruit: apricot, nectarine, peach, plum (caution - these fruits contain sorbitol);

Berry fruit: blueberry, blackberry, boysenberry, cranberry, raspberry, strawberry, loganberry;

Citrus fruit: kumquat, grapefruit, lemon, lime, mandarin, orange, tangelo;

Other fruits: ripe banana, jackfruit, kiwi fruit, passion fruit, pineapple, rhubarb, tamarillo.

It is not about constantly stuffing but eating small amounts regularly, like taking your 3 ordinary meals and making 6 smaller ones instead. Humans can survive for long periods without food and yes, that is why we have fat stores but isnt that what we are talking about getting rid of? You only get rid of it by eating regularly so that your body does not need to store fat.

If you go without food then your body goes into starvation mode so that when you do eat it stores as much as possible as fat for later use. A handy trate for stone age man that may only have eaten properly every couple of days but not now. If you eat regularly then your body doesnt need to try and store fat so it wont. You also have to eat some fats for the same reason. Fat free diets only work to a point for that exact reason.

Pretty sure your body doesn't really start breaking down fat/tissue until you have not eaten for 3 days (any weight lost during that time is just bowel movements leaving the body without food being eaten) ; for the first three days the body uses up glycogen stores in the liver instead.After the first 3 days a fast becomes far easier , so i have heard.

Pretty sure your body doesn't really start breaking down fat/tissue until you have not eaten for 3 days (any weight lost during that time is just bowel movements leaving the body without food being eaten) ; for the first three days the body uses up glycogen stores in the liver instead.After the first 3 days a fast becomes far easier , so i have heard.

You also lose muscle mass before burning fat when your body is in starvation mode.

You talk about food, fructose, fats, lack of exercise etc. but I would add two other things:

1. Big increase in alcohol intake, especially amongst women who are less able to process it. This also links into the desire for fatty foods to balance one's intake out.

2. Sharp drop in smoking.

I was looking at this from the most basic angle of calorie intake which number 1 is very high in.

It is not about constantly stuffing but eating small amounts regularly, like taking your 3 ordinary meals and making 6 smaller ones instead. Humans can survive for long periods without food and yes, that is why we have fat stores but isnt that what we are talking about getting rid of? You only get rid of it by eating regularly so that your body does not need to store fat.

If you go without food then your body goes into starvation mode so that when you do eat it stores as much as possible as fat for later use. A handy trate for stone age man that may only have eaten properly every couple of days but not now. If you eat regularly then your body doesnt need to try and store fat so it wont. You also have to eat some fats for the same reason. Fat free diets only work to a point for that exact reason.

Do you know what starvation mode is. I doubt it many of us have genuinely experienced it. Starvation mode is not "feeling a bit peckish before lunch."

In order to loose weight you might have to feel a bit hungry. That is the ghrelin response. It passes, and after that you usually feel fine.

You also lose muscle mass before burning fat when your body is in starvation mode.

Not true, not for weeks and weeks. Indeed during short term fasting HGH cuts in to help preserve muscle mass.

If it really is that simple, where does the body's ability to metabolise come in??B)

Body has limited sugar storage, liver, muscles, blood. Little more than a day. If the body was designed to store sugar we would be the size of elephants. Thats how energy dense the stored fatty acids are.