House Price Crash Forum

May Retail Sales Dip As Customers 'reluctant To Spend'

HOLA441

Remember that these figures are the overall figures for retail spending.

Certain sectors are being hit much, much worse.

EG my own - my commissions earned on Caribbean hotel/villa bookings for May were just 41% of what they were in may 2010 (ie a whopping 59% collapse). [before anyone (helpfully) suggests that I diversify my marketing to new countries etc, or change my marketing - I do neither, I supply and manage hotel booking engines which service bookings directly on hotels' own sites, so I do not actually sell anything to the public themselves - but I do get to see exactly what they are spending on non-essential purchases, and this is the public from anywhere in the globe!].

I have a spouse and kids to feed. If you feel sorry for me, please send donations to my Lagos account: Bank of Nigeria, acc # 32156789

HOLA442

Having been out on a rare sunday in the car there was MASSES of traffic about and the car park was full at the local retail park.

We went and harrassed the nice man at pcworld to let us play with a shiny new camera (£100 cheaper online so no chance of buying it there) and then spent a small sum of cash at the pet shop.

Perhaps the zombie malls are still working for the masses as a day out - but not for actually buying?

HOLA443

Having been out on a rare sunday in the car there was MASSES of traffic about and the car park was full at the local retail park.

We went and harrassed the nice man at pcworld to let us play with a shiny new camera (£100 cheaper online so no chance of buying it there) and then spent a small sum of cash at the pet shop.

Perhaps the zombie malls are still working for the masses as a day out - but not for actually buying?

Quite possibly.In 34 years in the Motor Trade May 2011 stands out as a month when everything just died.Admittedly my stock is down because I am pulling out but from 25 cars I sold just two.

HOLA444

Quite possibly.In 34 years in the Motor Trade May 2011 stands out as a month when everything just died.Admittedly my stock is down because I am pulling out but from 25 cars I sold just two.

so May 2011 was worse than any of the months in 2008/09 when the GFC was "at it's worst" ?

HOLA445
The savers used to spend their interest, but alas they were thrown out with the bathwater

If that is true. How did they get their money in the first place?

Why shouldn't it be true, if your income gets slashed by 15k you need to reign in a bit.

Unless your a credit junkie.

HOLA446
Guest eight

Out of interest, what were they?

A place near me has an Alfa 166 that has been there a full two years unsold. I'm thinking of offering him £50 for it.

eight

HOLA447

A place near me has an Alfa 166 that has been there a full two years unsold. I'm thinking of offering him £50 for it.

eight

Plus the tow truck to get it home.. Alfas being for decorative purposes only.

HOLA448

so May 2011 was worse than any of the months in 2008/09 when the GFC was "at it's worst" ?

No comparison.In 2008 we had falling car prices and that slowed things down significantly.Today things are of a different magnitude. The local Peugeot main dealer in my town who has a site with 100+cars sold FIVE new and used for the month.Watch out for big closures in the trade.

HOLA449

eight

I sold a Renault Megane DCi "55" plate at £4695 and an "04" Focus at £2995.Both quite low miles (48k &60K) and both to the same repeat customer and his wife.

HOLA4410

Yes, in the form of wage inflation, or price deflation.

Given that wage inflation means more for the government and screws savers and deflation means less for the government but helps savers I would prefer deflation. Sadly I reckon that printy-printy has to result in inflation, it might take a while but it will.

HOLA4411

When the jobs go and people cut down on spending they buy less and the sellers sell less. They cut their prices or die. I am buying various shinola for a house and finding huge cuts in prices of built-in appliances and even paint--Dulux are cutting 5L cans of their good stuff by a third! Wood flooring is down to about £21 M whereas it was well north of £30 last year. McVities bikkies are 2 big paks for £2 whereas it was £2.50 ish 6 months ago.

deflation cometh.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4412

No comparison.In 2008 we had falling car prices and that slowed things down significantly.Today things are of a different magnitude. The local Peugeot main dealer in my town who has a site with 100+cars sold FIVE new and used for the month.Watch out for big closures in the trade.

I recently bought a Peugeot from my main dealer in Brighton--he said business is awful. Went there on a Saturday morning recently and I was the only customer on their premises. Passed by other dealers on the way and noticed tumble weed rolling accross their forecourts too.

The whole country is being affected and last week, about Wednesday, was when we all went: oh.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

An anedotal.

Alas I've had a few short term retail gigs recently (motorparts, market stalls that kind of thing). A few days here and there and I've noticed the till has very little bendy money in it. Almost everybody is paying with coins...

HOLA4416

Time for a rate rise here.

Merv's plan isn't working because it isn't a plan at all. Just desperation. How are the mortgage holders going to feel when they're in negative equity too.

Having no money to buy food/clothes/fuel and paying the bank more than your house is worth for 30 years is an idiotic idea, but thats what Merv wants it seems.

Halfwits at every turn these days... :blink:

Edited by Wait & See

HOLA4417

Got any small autos in your stock?

Sorry no small anything.It seems that at the moment everybody wants to trade down in size to save fuel,tax,insurance.I see lots of people with 2 litre petrols with £250 a year tax looking for low tax cars.,Logic tells you what happens to the market then.

HOLA4418

Sorry no small anything.It seems that at the moment everybody wants to trade down in size to save fuel,tax,insurance.I see lots of people with 2 litre petrols with £250 a year tax looking for low tax cars.,Logic tells you what happens to the market then.

Shame.

Wife wants something physically small but I couldn't care if it had a V8 under the bonnet and the tax to go with it. Although I know what you mean, even my 1.6 petrol is worthless. It seems that unless it a disease-el or <1.2l petrol no one wants them.

Edited by daiking

HOLA4419
HOLA4420