House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Sheffields Tallest Building Is A Bit Empty

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/tower_fire_alarm_anger_1_3452383

IT’S Sheffield’s tallest building and home to hundreds of people - but the 32-storey City Lofts Tower does not have a communal fire alarm system, The Star can reveal.

The tower and an adjoining 12-storey block contain 316 apartments which have individual fire detection systems and smoke alarms. But they are not linked together and residents are not even made aware of a fire if it occurs elsewhere in the complex.

Fire service officials insist the arrangement is safe because each property is built as a concrete box with a fire door and designed to contain a blaze for up to 60 minutes.

http://search.knightfrank.com/lrd060048

One can be bought for £100k - £200k.

http://www.artfullodger.co.uk/city-lofts-c100627.html

£950 a month rent bargain.

My mate says they are selling around 2 a month. 316 in total not sure how many of these are left but he says it's mostly empty and a number of people who bought off plan before changes where made in the plans want out, I think he said that they numbered about 30.

My mate says they are selling around 2 a month. 316 in total not sure how many of these are left but he says it's mostly empty and a number of people who bought off plan before changes where made in the plans want out, I think he said that they numbered about 30.

:lol:

We should catalogue these disasters. It will make a great history book.

funny thing is, the original developer went bust; only for the bank Hypo to take over, and the bank later on became park of PFB (the German bad bank). It's got everything really this story, speculative lending to speculatively construct flats to be sold to speculative BTL'trs. Pop

funny thing is, the original developer went bust; only for the bank Hypo to take over, and the bank later on became park of PFB (the German bad bank). It's got everything really this story, speculative lending to speculatively construct flats to be sold to speculative BTL'trs. Pop

Wasn't there a government bailout too?

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/city_centre_tower_bail_out_to_cost_millions_1_299777?action=logout

to be honest they look ok to me, a bit small but below 250 quid a square foot is probably less than the building cost to put up, 1,000 a year service charge is not a killer either .... compared to paying 6,000 a square foot for new build in central london you can only lose a small amount , with even students paying 100 quid a week for poor quality tat , I would have thought there are lots of worse things you could buy ...

Fire service officials insist the arrangement is safe because each property is built as a concrete box with a fire door and designed to contain a blaze for up to 60 minutes.

But after 61 minutes, you're toast.

It's this kind of blinkered attitude to risk that got the economy to the state it is now. What ever happened to considering the worst case scenario?

Found this comment quite a comfort :unsure:

stevee

Monday, June 6, 2011 at 10:59 PM

The fire service are right in that it is safer for residents to remain in their homes in the event of a fire as the flats are built to a standard to withstand the fire for a certain amount of time - its the safest place. A communal alarm will send everyone out and they could be walking straight into the path of a fire, it will create panic - the lifts won't work, the communal lights may be out, there may be smoke which is the biggest killer in fires.

think i'll stick to living on the ground thanks

'We pay 1000 a year service charges'

The second biggest con in the housing game. Welcome to Britain.

You know how much I pay? seventy quid a year. And someone's making a few bob off that.

Leaseholds are a nightmare. It's bad enough having an entire building infrastructure to look after, to share costs between owners, but in a newbuild:

corners willhave been cut; build quality will almost certainly be shit; the 'developers' estimates will be deliberately low to woo tenants.

Tenants will be picking up the pieces of the pissy devs for years to come. £1000 a year sounds low to me; wait till the lifts break....

I agree that a zoned fire alarm is surely a necessity, but can you imagine how many false alarms could be going off in the middle of the night at the weekend from burnt toast, spliffs, pranks etc. ??

It would be an absolute nightmare, like being back in Uni Halls, stood outside in your pyjamas twice a month.

It would be an absolute nightmare, like being back in Uni Halls, stood outside in your pyjamas twice a month.

Fun as a student though, not so much these days

A new office building was built in Oldham. Empty. So the sixth form was persuaded to buy it as a science centre.

This REALLY scrwwed up Oldham council's scheming

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/8/news/14360/science-centre-plan

The Pennine Way Hotel, bought for more than £1million by Oldham Council, will be sold for a nominal amount to create a new science centre.

Wasn't long after that they decided not to use that space and use the office building instead as it's right by the college.

(This is the same Oldham council who bought the roxy cinema as a going concern and then knocked it down. The guy retiring selling it must have thought his christmasses had come at once.)

Ahh those days, about the only chance I got to cop a look at the fairer sex.

Shame, after the third time it happened they turned the system to silent.

:(

'We pay 1000 a year service charges'

The second biggest con in the housing game. Welcome to Britain.

You know how much I pay? seventy quid a year. And someone's making a few bob off that.

Without seeing the accounts you have no idea if it's a con or not. Do you know how much it costs to maintain a lift, for example?

And you'll find service charges for communal blocks in all European countries. These things don't get done by the fairy at the end of the garden.

I agree that a zoned fire alarm is surely a necessity, but can you imagine how many false alarms could be going off in the middle of the night at the weekend from burnt toast, spliffs, pranks etc. ??

Yep, communal alarms are a PITA.

Ours went off a couple of weeks ago, fortunately in the middle of the day. We all traipsed outside whilst waiting for the fire service to arrive with no sign of a fire. It was a false alarm!

The block's only two stories high. If there really was a fire, once the smoke set off each individual alarm occupants could escape out of the window.

tim

http://www.thestar.c...anger_1_3452383

http://search.knight...k.com/lrd060048

http://www.artfullod...ts-c100627.html

I'm sure it'll be even easier to sell the flats after the Hyde Park Flats makeover puts 700 new ones onto the Sheffield city centre market ....

and home to hundreds of people

People are living in there? It still looks unfinished to me.

Nothing like the original gleaming (pre-credit crunch) design.

sheffield.jpg

versus

3525152916.jpg

(Note the lovely corner-cutting brown fascia.)

£150k fecking quid for a fecking high rise fecking rabbit hutch or the same will buy you this.

41162_829720A_29720_IMG_01_0000_max_620x414.JPG

Surely I can't be the only sane person left in Sheffield?

Yes, i always looked at the skyscrapercity thread during construction. Cant be bothered to check through the whole thread, but if you find a night shot, there only appears to be a couple of lights on in the whole building.

Whoever these 'hundreds' of people are, i guess they like living in the dark. More than likely, its nigh on empty.

Funny that, people dont want to spend a six figure sum to live in some refurbed ex office block or council block in some nondescript northern town.

Oh, and apparently the window panes are falling out or cracking too...

with even students paying 100 quid a week for poor quality tat , I would have thought there are lots of worse things you could buy ...

When they start paying £9k tuition fees, students are probably going to be a lot more careful with their cash. The student BTL gravy train is about to hit the buffers.

Yes, i always looked at the skyscrapercity thread during construction. Cant be bothered to check through the whole thread, but if you find a night shot, there only appears to be a couple of lights on in the whole building.

Whoever these 'hundreds' of people are, i guess they like living in the dark. More than likely, its nigh on empty.

Funny that, people dont want to spend a six figure sum to live in some refurbed ex office block or council block in some nondescript northern town.

Already, sounds like great build quality.

Whoever these 'hundreds' of people are, i guess they like living in the dark.

Prolly can't afford the electric bill.

Still, these people have been "in the dark" for a long time now.

Have to agree that given choice it's the house every time.

If you're in your 20s, yes, a nice pad in the city centre makes some sort of sense. Perhaps even Sheffield city centre, though personally I'd rather have root canal carried out by a drunken trainee.

But if you get married and have kids, who wants to bring 'em up in a "Centro" shoebox?

Especially one with bits falling off of it.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/tower_glass_panel_plunge_1_3343511

Here is the stunning view you get from one of the lower flats.

41450_P2405_IMG_00_0000.jpg

But after 61 minutes, you're toast.

It's this kind of blinkered attitude to risk that got the economy to the state it is now. What ever happened to considering the worst case scenario?

I don't think I've ever lived in flats that had linked fire alarms. I set ours off once a fortnight by leaving the toast in a bit too long.

60 minutes is probably enough for the fire brigade to arrive and sort out a proper evacuation if one is needed.

Although I'm not sure I need linked alarms where I live at the moment, I can hear the upstairs one anyway due to the poor sound insulation :P.

I had a catch up read of the skyscrapercity thread last night, the sales website used to show the number of completions, but I can't find the page any more. There were quite a few posters on there who had paid a deposit back when mega-mortgages were possible, but now couldn't raise the finance to complete, double kick in the balls when the developer started price cutting on non-reserved units, but tried to make these buyers complete at original prices.

Anyway, how dare you, Sheffield is not some nondescript northern town and amazingly, even though it's got 1970's coloured cladding, the tower is a new build, not a refurbed office block.

:D

60 minutes is probably enough for the fire brigade to arrive and sort out a proper evacuation if one is needed.

On the plus side the brand new main fire station is literally down the road.

Let's hope they didn't follow Richard Chamberlain's cost cutting measures from The Towering Inferno.

Paul Newman: Dick, you didn't cut corners at City Lofts Sheffield did you?

Richard Chamberlain: Of course I did. Haven't you noticed that it's the only 32 story building in the world with only 28 floors?