House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
exiges

Social Housing Spare Rooms "a Luxury"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13671653

Spare bedrooms for people in social housing are a luxury the country can no longer afford, a minister has said.

Tenants with spare rooms will lose £11 a week in housing benefit under changes going through Parliament.

Welfare Reform Minister Lord Freud told BBC Radio 4's You and Yours the cuts were needed as the housing benefit bill was "out of control".

But the policy depends on moving families into smaller homes and critics say there are not enough available.

'Very unfair'

Asked by You and Yours presenter Julian Worricker, if a spare bedroom should be regarded as a "luxury" for those in social housing, Lord Freud said: "Exactly - we have got a housing benefit expenditure that is simply out of control.

"It's very unfair for taxpayers to have to fund people to live in property that's larger than they can afford themselves.

"And also that means that people don't make the same choices, and are faced with those choices, that they would if they were non benefit recipients."

According to the Welfare Reform Bill, those currently living in social housing with one spare room can expect to lose £11 a week while those with two or more extra rooms may lose around £20 a week.

The proposals aim to address the shortage of social housing by matching families to the right size of accommodation but critics argue that there simply aren't enough smaller properties available.

Figures from the National Housing Federation suggest that around 180,000 social tenants in England are "under-occupying" two-bedroom homes, but just 68,000 one-bedroom social homes became available for letting in a single year.

The legislation will affect England, Scotla

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-13671653

Spare bedrooms for people in social housing are a luxury the country can no longer afford, a minister has said.

Tenants with spare rooms will lose £11 a week in housing benefit under changes going through Parliament.

Welfare Reform Minister Lord Freud told BBC Radio 4's You and Yours the cuts were needed as the housing benefit bill was "out of control".

But the policy depends on moving families into smaller homes and critics say there are not enough available.

'Very unfair'

Asked by You and Yours presenter Julian Worricker, if a spare bedroom should be regarded as a "luxury" for those in social housing, Lord Freud said: "Exactly - we have got a housing benefit expenditure that is simply out of control.

"It's very unfair for taxpayers to have to fund people to live in property that's larger than they can afford themselves.

"And also that means that people don't make the same choices, and are faced with those choices, that they would if they were non benefit recipients."

According to the Welfare Reform Bill, those currently living in social housing with one spare room can expect to lose £11 a week while those with two or more extra rooms may lose around £20 a week.

The proposals aim to address the shortage of social housing by matching families to the right size of accommodation but critics argue that there simply aren't enough smaller properties available.

Figures from the National Housing Federation suggest that around 180,000 social tenants in England are "under-occupying" two-bedroom homes, but just 68,000 one-bedroom social homes became available for letting in a single year.

The legislation will affect England, Scotla

and how many one bedroom slave-boxes were built in the last 10 years in town centres around the country?

Sounds fine with me, I cannot afford a second bedroom so why should I pay for other to have the luxury.

All the bleating that will come regarding 'what happens when people come to visit should fall on deaf ears as I am a taxpayer, have to pay my own rent and when someone comes to stay they/I go on the sofa as I cannot afford a spare room.

Sounds fine with me, I cannot afford a second bedroom so why should I pay for other to have the luxury.

All the bleating that will come regarding 'what happens when people come to visit should fall on deaf ears as I am a taxpayer, have to pay my own rent and when someone comes to stay they/I go on the sofa as I cannot afford a spare room.

even if they are fit?

So the message to anyone currently living in an 'under-occupied' council or HA property is very simple: get pregnant, quick!

Or knock the wall down dividing the two rooms!

Spoke today with a guy who has £18k in mortgage arrears and four lodgers to keep the circus on the road. Lender doesn't care if it's in breach of terms & conditions - just give us the money!

Dickensian.

Another I'll thought out bit of legislation from the jokers in charge! If anyone still thinks that this bunch of no hopers will do anything for anyone other than their mates, you' better forget it.

Spoke today with a guy who has £18k in mortgage arrears and four lodgers to keep the circus on the road. Lender doesn't care if it's in breach of terms & conditions - just give us the money!

Dickensian.

how is having lodgers in breach of a normal residential mortgage?

maybe not informing them of a drop in income or lying on the appl form in the first polace, but failure to declare lodgers?

Another I'll thought out bit of legislation from the jokers in charge! If anyone still thinks that this bunch of no hopers will do anything for anyone other than their mates, you' better forget it.

If you think that any of the jokers in charge, no matter what colour tie they wear, will do anything for anyone other than their mates, you'd better forget it.

I hate the game as well as all the players.

how is having lodgers in breach of a normal residential mortgage?

maybe not informing them of a drop in income or lying on the appl form in the first polace, but failure to declare lodgers?

Depends on the mortgage terms. The thinking is that what may look like a lodger - someone you can kick out at will - turns into a tenant. The lender would be worried that if it acquiesced to what looks like lodging, the lodger may establish a practice of not allowing the owner have access to his part of the property and a de facto tenancy would be arguable. It's a grey area, and lenders differ in their small print.

Window tax variant number 139.

Boom in dressing rooms with ensuite...................

For a bunch of Etonians this lot seem particularly stupid.

Depends on the mortgage terms. The thinking is that what may look like a lodger - someone you can kick out at will - turns into a tenant. The lender would be worried that if it acquiesced to what looks like lodging, the lodger may establish a practice of not allowing the owner have access to his part of the property and a de facto tenancy would be arguable. It's a grey area, and lenders differ in their small print.

ok, thanks

You offering my darlin'?

uglyoldlady.jpg

Erm ... no thanks. Try Dominique Strauss-Kahn instead.

Assuming you're not the lady above, getting pregnant would probably involve significantly less effort...

and how many one bedroom slave-boxes were built in the last 10 years in town centres around the country?

ahh but they are all "owner occupied" by FTBs stuck in negative equity, rather than social housing ;)

I think this is a good thing though - for too long the private landlords have been able to hike up the price of private renting vs social housing renting...more social housing available with more rooms means that there will be more competition!

and also to add, when we have people stay, we let them have our bedroom & we sleep on a blow up bed in the living room. Im paying private rent & paying my taxes & I dont see why someone who has their rent paid for by the taxpayer should have it better than me!

Why is this different to what's already in place with LHA?

LHA bedroom calculator

In my case, there's me living in a 2 bed house - If I were unemployed, I'd be entitled to LHA for a 1 bedroom house. In my local authority, I'd be entitled to £75 per week to cover £92 per week's rent I actually have to pay.

If I had a partner, there would be 2 of us in a 2 bedroom house, but we'd still only be entitled to LHA for a 1 bedroom house.

I can't be bothered to go through every permutation with children, but I'd be surprised if the LHA system funds a spare room under any circumstance at all.

Loads, obviously, but haven't many of these executive apartments been deemed unsuitable for social housing?

(Yes, it is sick.)

So can they rent a room out?

Officially, they require consent from the landlord/ha/council, but yes people can sublet a room/take lodgers. It's written in the assured tenancy agreement (well it is mine anyway, though I don't know quite why as I live in a one bedroomed flat) :lol:

Loads, obviously, but haven't many of these executive apartments been deemed unsuitable for social housing?

(Yes, it is sick.)

I can't see there being much of a public outcry if they went back on that.

(Though my sympathies to the people who end up living in them if they get bad neighbours.... When I rented a loft apartment the walls were paper-thin.)

£11 a week seems half arsed to me. Either dock the bill properly but allow them to rent out the spare room, or actually have a smaller house available for them to move into.

Anything else seems a little unfair - 'you've got a spare room so we'll dock your benefits but we can't move you out and you can't do anything with it'?

In my mums area there are lots of older folks living in 2 and 3 bedroomed houses alone. This is not always by choice, as there ar far more 2-3 bedroomed houses available than single bedroomed bungalows! So what will happen to all of those?

Edited by Sourman

So the message to anyone currently living in an 'under-occupied' council or HA property is very simple: get pregnant, quick!

Really? Just to save £11 a week? I dont think that you could even convince a jeremy kyle audience that that makes sense.