House Price Crash Forum

Is Anyone On A Local Authority Housing Register?

MattW

HOLA441
HOLA442

Keep bidding mate, eventually you will get somewhere. Suppose the inability to get housing was getting you down and causing you stress. It might be worth going to the doctor and reporting your mental condition and explaining how your housing situation is getting you down (they can then put a 'good word' in for you).

The new bidding cycle kicked in at midnight and I now have 12 or so to choose from. Even a few vacant 2 bedroomed flats, which I thought I was excluded from bidding on over the past month. :unsure: I suspect other people in my situation have complained to the council, who have probably done a u turn.

I have bid on a couple of them :) and come Wednesday I'll be back to 30th in the queue for them. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...
HOLA443

4,297 people registered for home options in my area, according to a news article about council housing.

Looks like I'm gradually moving on up. Instead of about 70th or 80th in the queue, I'm about 20th-35th now. :lol:

HOLA444

I have been on Waverley DC, Surrey, waiting list for Sheltered Accommodation since 2010. I am 67 years old. I have just had a letter to say that they have changed the criteria and, because I own half of a Shared Ownership/HA house, I can no longer be considered for council accommodation when I sell up and need somewhere with a Warden.

HOLA445

I have been on Waverley DC, Surrey, waiting list for Sheltered Accommodation since 2010. I am 67 years old. I have just had a letter to say that they have changed the criteria and, because I own half of a Shared Ownership/HA house, I can no longer be considered for council accommodation when I sell up and need somewhere with a Warden.

Interesting anecdote. Any excuse for the councils to shed people off their housing registers, eh? :(

I'm amazed Norwich City Council haven't kicked me off theirs for having a full time job and not claiming benefits.

• 7 months later...
HOLA446

Holy thread resurrection! :D

Haven't bid on any flats for the past 3 weeks now. :blink: The choices of flats hasn't been very good.

I wonder if this is down to this 'Spare Room Subsidy' thing whereby those in larger properties penalised by the so called 'tax' have opted to go into the 1 bedroomed homes and thus reducing the supply of these smaller homes? :unsure:

As well as the lack of choice, I'm also being a bit fussy in avoiding ground floor flats (courteously leaving those for the less mobile *halo* ) and I prefer something a bit out of town. :)

HOLA447

Holy thread resurrection! :D

Haven't bid on any flats for the past 3 weeks now. :blink: The choices of flats hasn't been very good.

I wonder if this is down to this 'Spare Room Subsidy' thing whereby those in larger properties penalised by the so called 'tax' have opted to go into the 1 bedroomed homes and thus reducing the supply of these smaller homes? :unsure:

As well as the lack of choice, I'm also being a bit fussy in avoiding ground floor flats (courteously leaving those for the less mobile *halo* ) and I prefer something a bit out of town. :)

Hit the nail on the head there. I waited over 10 years myself and only just (two people turned it down) managed to secure a one bee flat but it%s needed a lot of work, the whole place has had to be completely replastered. Admittedly I could have got a place in a big tower block for a lot less points but the place I got housed in normally would take about 5 years to secure.

Even though it was a dive when I mover in I still feel pretty lucky to have got it as I've noticed even high rise flats are going for about the same now.

HOLA448

Hit the nail on the head there. I waited over 10 years myself and only just (two people turned it down) managed to secure a one bee flat but it%s needed a lot of work, the whole place has had to be completely replastered. Admittedly I could have got a place in a big tower block for a lot less points but the place I got housed in normally would take about 5 years to secure.

Even though it was a dive when I mover in I still feel pretty lucky to have got it as I've noticed even high rise flats are going for about the same now.

Nice one, credo. :)

I have ended the bidding draught now and have bid on 2 x top floor 2 bedroomed flats. The more expensive Housing Assoc one I have bid on hasn't attracted many bids.

HOLA449

I'm on the list too; have been for about 5 years, and am also a white able bodied male with no children.

I don't do the lottery, so I regard it as a kind of free version of the same.

Absolutely love that logic. A free lottery and why not.

That sounds about right! :D

Joining the housing register could be seen as a private protest against the high cost of housing in the UK by the more analytical politicians. Just wish Grant Schapps & co take a look at the waiting lists and help to provide more rental homes at a reasonable rents in the areas that deserve them.

I'm tempted to do this myself on a protest basis, just for the sport, I'd never expect to win the jackpot. I'll request a two bed flat, there's only one of me, but it's my human right to have a spare room surely. As I live in London and the private cost of renting a 2 bed flat would consume the majority of my take home salary (and I earn above the london average) then I shall also cite that that leaves me worse off than someone claiming benefits.

White, female, able bodied, no sprogs = no chance. Although being female may elevate me from 165th on a list to 130th.

HOLA4410

2 bedroomed council flat in London?! Good luck with that one Starla! :D

I missed mikey's comment about it being a free lottery. Too right! :)

I've been on the list for 2 years and 11 months now. With my current bids I'm 15th and 30th in the queue.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411

2 bedroomed council flat in London?! Good luck with that one Starla! :D

I missed mikey's comment about it being a free lottery. Too right! :)

I've been on the list for 2 years and 11 months now. With my current bids I'm 15th and 30th in the queue.

Hi Mikey, I'll be brutally honest I don't think you have a chance in those circumstances but areas may differ. You'd have needed at least double that round here a few years ago but as you pointed out the situation is even worse now the bedroom tax has hit.

I'm a single white male and I only just got one and I had 10 years points. If you go for a shit part of town you may get one with say 4 years of points but no guarantee. The reason I mentioned that I'm white is not meant to be a racist jibe but that in my experience immigrants seem much happier to accept accommodation in rough areas. It's perhaps ironic that this breeds a lot of resentment toward them given most people in the UK would avoid visiting such areas like the plague, let alone living in them.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4412

Well a fortnight ago I was invited to take a look at the Housing Association flat I mentioned in post #33. It was quite a priviledge to be invited. :D

A small gathering of bodies appeared by the entrance. Chatter amongst the people hinted that I was a bit lower down the scale than the others. The viewing was all very rushed, the poor young lady at the Housing Association was probably a bit behind schedule on viewings. Just a quick look around in less than 2 minutes.

I never got a call back to offering me the tenancy. Not a huge blow really as the rent was quite high on this one - pretty much on par with private rentals in the area. :unsure:

Bid on an LA flat a week ago on an undesirable estate. Would be OK for me as it's handy for work. I came in 15th in the queue and their 'Recent Lets' data published indicates that there were 45 bidders. Other previous bid data seems to indicate that I am about in the top 33rd percentile. :)

HOLA4413

Well a fortnight ago I was invited to take a look at the Housing Association flat I mentioned in post #33. It was quite a priviledge to be invited. :D

A small gathering of bodies appeared by the entrance. Chatter amongst the people hinted that I was a bit lower down the scale than the others. The viewing was all very rushed, the poor young lady at the Housing Association was probably a bit behind schedule on viewings. Just a quick look around in less than 2 minutes.

I never got a call back to offering me the tenancy. Not a huge blow really as the rent was quite high on this one - pretty much on par with private rentals in the area. :unsure:

Bid on an LA flat a week ago on an undesirable estate. Would be OK for me as it's handy for work. I came in 15th in the queue and their 'Recent Lets' data published indicates that there were 45 bidders. Other previous bid data seems to indicate that I am about in the top 33rd percentile. :)

Don't get me wrong though, it is a lottery. It was only because I was living in a shared house that I had so many points, I'd have had to wait another 10 years if I was living in a studio flat.

I was bidding with a huge number of points for 6 months and not once did I come higher than 3rd place although I never went below 7th. The point is even though I was highly placed there was always people with ridiculous amount of point ahead of me, what I attribute to the pressure on one beds from the bedroom tax. In the end I was offered a property because the two people in front of me turned it down and I was desperate because I was about to be evicted.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I've been looking for a flat for a family member who is about to be homeless because my dear old Mum has gone into a nursing home. To cover the home fees, not a fancy, just your ordinary urine soaked hovel is £850 per week plus expenses. Rent on her 2 bed house undecorated or repaired in a decade £650 pcm. So her capital and pension that have covered the rent for the last decade will be exhausted in a little over two years.

As the remaining family member is not her partner and does not earn enough to pay the rent I was looking for somewhere cheaper. Nothing in the private sector under £450pcm, still way out of reach. This in Bedfordshire.

Maybe its time to commit a crime that gets you bed and board for a while... call it a lifestyle choice.

The government cap on residential home fees is £485 per week. If a home took all its inmates at this figure they would be out of business in a month or two. Effectively, where a home has a couple of residents on the capped rate, the privately funded residents are subsidizing the government from their savings.

HOLA4416

I've been looking for a flat for a family member who is about to be homeless because my dear old Mum has gone into a nursing home. To cover the home fees, not a fancy, just your ordinary urine soaked hovel is £850 per week plus expenses. Rent on her 2 bed house undecorated or repaired in a decade £650 pcm. So her capital and pension that have covered the rent for the last decade will be exhausted in a little over two years.

As the remaining family member is not her partner and does not earn enough to pay the rent I was looking for somewhere cheaper. Nothing in the private sector under £450pcm, still way out of reach. This in Bedfordshire.

Maybe its time to commit a crime that gets you bed and board for a while... call it a lifestyle choice.

The government cap on residential home fees is £485 per week. If a home took all its inmates at this figure they would be out of business in a month or two. Effectively, where a home has a couple of residents on the capped rate, the privately funded residents are subsidizing the government from their savings.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your mother's housing situation. I'm a little confused about what you're saying but are you saying that your mother needs to move into a nursing home and you don't have the capital to cover this for longer than two years?

doesn't that only kick in if you have savings over £30k though?

As for council housing, there's a lot of sheltered housing out there, I'd say a surplus in many areas so it shouldn't take to long to be housed in one.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4417

^^ Those nursing home fees are an eye opener. Hope your mum and her ex lodger are now settled in somewhere, Travisher.

Been on the list for 3 years now *drums fingers accross table* ;) . Councils are now permitted to build their own new homes to rent out but these seem to be a long time coming. :(

Edited by MattW

HOLA4418

^^ Those nursing home fees are an eye opener. Hope your mum and her ex lodger are now settled in somewhere, Travisher.

Been on the list for 3 years now *drums fingers accross table* ;) . Councils are now permitted to build their own new homes to rent out but these seem to be a long time coming. :(

Yes there`s quite a delay in getting the money in and then building. Should be some movement next year.

• 2 years later...
HOLA4419

Bump!

In a moment of madness I removed myself from the register in March 2014. Moved to another private rental a year later and after experiencing how s**t it really is dealing with letting agents and a landlord who at the time took no interest, I rejoined the register in July 2015.

Still have to wait a few years sadly until I am likely to be shortlisted.

HOLA4420

Bump!

In a moment of madness I removed myself from the register in March 2014. Moved to another private rental a year later and after experiencing how s**t it really is dealing with letting agents and a landlord who at the time took no interest, I rejoined the register in July 2015.

Still have to wait a few years sadly until I am likely to be shortlisted.

It depends where you are/how lucky you get. When this thread was last active in 2013 I signed up as I had that summer moved back in with my parents (single, white, male) with low expectations. Bid every week, on some not so great stuff at times but I was far enough down the list to not have to worry about being offered! Then January this year I had a phone call to view a place and within a week I had moved into a 2 bed ground floor flat. So a little over 2 years.

As stated previously, almost a free lottery

HOLA4421

It depends where you are/how lucky you get. When this thread was last active in 2013 I signed up as I had that summer moved back in with my parents (single, white, male) with low expectations. Bid every week, on some not so great stuff at times but I was far enough down the list to not have to worry about being offered! Then January this year I had a phone call to view a place and within a week I had moved into a 2 bed ground floor flat. So a little over 2 years.

As stated previously, almost a free lottery

2 years - Good result scb. :)

Intrigued that you were able to be offered a tenancy on a 2 bedroomed ground floor flat as a single person. My local authority bars me from bidding on these as they want to only allow persons with dependant children to bid on these. I can bid on most 2 bed upper floor flats (less child friendly).

Last week I got shortlisted to 24th in the queue on a flat that was actually in a good part of the city. Best result so far this time around. I had 20 flats to choose from (up from the usual 8 to 10), which thins out the bids.

From what I can tell I seem to be moving up the scale in my 'low priority' banding.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4422
  • 1 year later...
HOLA4423

Bump!

I actually viewed a Housing Association flat a few days ago. I was ninth in the queue at the end of the bidding cycle. 3 of us turned up to view. One wasn't interested. Looks like the other person won the tenancy for that one.

Seem to be getting close. The same Housing Assoc. advertised 2 other flats around the corner from the viewed. Both state that they want tenants with a checkable tenancy history with no history of Anti Social Behaviour. I seem to get a high ranking whenever these types of homes are advertised. Anyway, I got 5th for one and 6th for the other. I hope I get an invite to view one or both of these. :)