House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

skomer

Its Bean Sprouts! And German Ones Too

Germans were very quick to blame others for the killer E-Coli.

It now looks like it was the lack of hygiene when growing and preparing bean sprouts in Deutschland that was the problem.

Seem to be parallels with there attitude to Greek & Irish debt too. The average German still doesnt get it that it was their banks (with others) that lie at the heart of the economic problems the PIIGS face too. Maybe attitudes will change?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8558132/Bean-sprouts-to-blame-for-E.coli-outbreak.html

Odd that Ecoli thrives int he intestines of animals.

So much for organic being more healthy if even the shite they spread on their vegies is shite shite.

One of my kids (was a baby at the time) tested positive for e coli a few years ago. Had an [ongoing] upset stomach so the Doc took a stool sample. 48 Hours later and environmental health were all over us. Remember it was a Sunday evening and they were knocking the door, the child was fine no other symptoms than the upset stomach. It was strain 517 if memory serves me right.

Rest of the family had to provide samples (that was fun), I and my youngest were clear but my partner had it (she never realised).

Biggest impact was to my employer (I worked at the time in frozen food distribution) as I was not allowed to attend work until I had provided 2 clear samples 10 days apart.

I can recall the EHO ringing my boss to tell him and he wasn't best pleased as it was mid December still got a couple weeks extra off work fully paid...

End result was everyone recovered fine with no ill effects

Not exactly an every day food stuff so why so long to trace?

Interesting that biogas production is entering the frame. I blame the greens. Don't decommission those nuclear power stations yet Germany.

must admit, no surprise that German food safety standards are found wanting again.

In January there was the Dioxin in animal feed scandal- industrial chemicals mixed with animal feeds, giving levels of 77 times upper limit for dioxins in meat and eggs, and this was allowed to continue for 9 months until action was taken. It was similar to the Chinese milk scandal. Only difference is that in China the culprits were punished. In Germany the whole thing was forgotten and seems that nobody learnt anything. Dioxins

Will the Spanish hear the word "sorry" I wonder?

They did claim that one way or another the Spanish cucumbers e coli was costing millions of pounds per day.

Oh well it was German beansprouts after all but likely they can't dig up the Spanish cucumber mountain they already dumped.

Tomorrow they're almost sure to be banging on about something like altering supermarket Sell By dates to stop food waste.

I suppose people should just be relieved they didn't just nuke the problem "into the sea".

must admit, no surprise that German food safety standards are found wanting again.

In January there was the Dioxin in animal feed scandal- industrial chemicals mixed with animal feeds, giving levels of 77 times upper limit for dioxins in meat and eggs, and this was allowed to continue for 9 months until action was taken. It was similar to the Chinese milk scandal. Only difference is that in China the culprits were punished. In Germany the whole thing was forgotten and seems that nobody learnt anything. Dioxins

Will the Spanish hear the word "sorry" I wonder?

IIRC Two of them got bullets in the back of the head, others got prison terms.

Germans were very quick to blame others for the killer E-Coli.

It now looks like it was the lack of hygiene when growing and preparing bean sprouts in Deutschland that was the problem.

Seem to be parallels with there attitude to Greek & Irish debt too. The average German still doesnt get it that it was their banks (with others) that lie at the heart of the economic problems the PIIGS face too. Maybe attitudes will change?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8558132/Bean-sprouts-to-blame-for-E.coli-outbreak.html

i grew some mung beans 3 weeks ago in a glass jug with the children , washed and drained them everyday by day 9 the smelled awful so i chucked them on the compost, a few days later i put some more stuff on the compost and it was proper rank smelling , i,m glad i did not try them , in fact its put me off growing them now. :blink:

i grew some mung beans 3 weeks ago in a glass jug with the children , washed and drained them everyday by day 9 the smelled awful so i chucked them on the compost, a few days later i put some more stuff on the compost and it was proper rank smelling , i,m glad i did not try them , in fact its put me off growing them now. :blink:

Rinsed 3 times a day? Drained properly?

http://sproutpeople.org/sprouts/grow/sprouting.html

And even if they rot in their own jar it shouldn't grow e-coli unless you are sh*tting in the jar too.

Rinsed 3 times a day? Drained properly?

http://sproutpeople.org/sprouts/grow/sprouting.html

And even if they rot in their own jar it shouldn't grow e-coli unless you are sh*tting in the jar too.

Look at the production method.

Grown in a steam tube at 38 degrees © which no doubt is a low oxygen environment. All that moisture and organic matter from the sprouting beans - perfect growth environment for E Coli (or indeed a number of other pathogens)

Bit like the mammalian gut

It was similar to the Chinese milk scandal. Only difference is that in China the culprits were punished.

The entire board of directors were sentenced to death after a couple years in Laogai (think Autswitch and you're not far off). They were then executed via lethal injection and organ harvested. With the remains cremated and scattered into the sea (which means no reincarnation as the body is destroyed and is not whole in death*)