Shares Magazine Investors Chronicle Lead Article With Btl

HOLA441
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

A mix of debt and equity is used in many financial transactions, whats so different about BTL?

To my mind sour grapes from those who have not had the guts to do it

100% debt is not a good mix, unless you expect capital gains.

The BTL is NOT A financial transaction and more than lending money to deal on the stock exchange was nothing but a ponzi scam to maintain asset values...

It is a mix of the financial transaction ( purchase) and a business (trying to gain an income).

It is a business unique to the realm where ordinary buyers are excluded from the same tax breaks for the same product in the same channel as the "investment".

It is therefore doomed to fail en mass as once a saturation point in renters is met, there can be no increase in rents at that point and the subsequent fallout in capital values will trash your investment.

Many BTL "investors" are finding this out already....many many more will find out soon also.

Where are the Wilsons now they want to "cash out"?

HOLA443

A mix of debt and equity is used in many financial transactions, whats so different about BTL?

To my mind sour grapes from those who have not had the guts to do it

BTL's not working out too well for this landlord, sounds like he's regretting following his "animal instincts"

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?4173-BTL-landlord-fed-up-and-losing-money-should-I-sell

HOLA444

Every BTL investor is different in how much leverage they are willing to take on and can obtain but in your mind all leverage BTL is excessive.

no I do not think this

but in your mind reality seems to be a bit like Rocky and Bulwinkle. heh ho.

HOLA445

Folks can look at this detailed graph from the article to decide for themselves I guess ...dividend yield on stocks has been declining rapidly since the early 1990s ...and right through the long BOOM period ...

http://4.bp.blogspot...eld+History.jpg

so what? do you actually know the differewnce between dividend and profit, one is reinvested internally, the other optionally?

the long term ex-inflation growth+dividend return has remained pretty consistent over that time, not a big deal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Edited by Si1

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

BTL is good investment so long as you get some capital growth, and buying now means your horizon for growth is probably at least 5-7 years. My concerns with BTL would be 1) its fundamentally anti-social as I'm denying someone to opportunity to buy the property to live in at a reasonable price 2) its anti-capitalistic as I am bidding up a limited resource and 3) the next generation of priced out voters may insist the government of the day penalise second homes and personal property investment.

HOLA449