House Price Crash Forum
plummeting_prices

Yet Another Gold Thread :)

Hey everyone. After carefully reading the topics about gold on this forum - regardless of some peoples annoyance at the amount of gold threads, there are some people (like myself) who don't have a clue about investing in gold so the more threads the merrier. :)

Anyway, I've just gone and taken the plunge and bought 5 Krugerrands from goldline.co.uk. I'm worried about two things:

• The Company not delivering - I've been burned recently by Tiny Computers bankruptcy who failed to deliver my laptop after taking my money
  • The possibility that I have missed the boat - with Gold at it's 17-year high

However, investing involves risk and risk involves worry so we'll forget about that for now.

The purpose of this topic is to discover what those of you in the know about investing in gold would do in the following scenario:

You have decided that you do not want to invest in gold-mining shares because you feel that a general downturn in the stockmarket may have a negative impact on them. You have also decided against holding an allocated/unallocated account in gold with one of the various companies offering these services (call it a trust issue :huh: ).

So this brings us to holding physical gold. Your choices are coins or bars. With bars, you envisage finding it difficult to sell such a large quantiity of gold in single transactions in the future when gold is at $5,000 an ounce :lol: Therefore, you decide to go for coins. The question is:

Which coin would you choose and why?

Personally, I have chosen the South African Krugerrand because it's cheaper. As far as I'm aware, these are only 22kt as opposed to some of the others which are 24kt but the Krugerrand is slightly heavier meaning that it does actually contain the same amount of gold - and it's more scratch resistant.

Some people argue that Britannias are better because they are not subject to Capital Gains Tax. However, I feel that if, when you come to sell your coins, you have made enough money to use up your entire £8,500 CGT allowance on the coins you sell in any particular year, you're laughing all the way to the bank anyway.

I've used goldline..they are fine so don't worry.

As for your concern that it may be too late to buy I would be interested in a response from those with more knowledge.

Any advice guys?

Another interesting thing (if you don't think it's too personal) would be to find out how many of each type of coins you have as well as how you decide to buy more. For example, do you keep gold to a certain percentage of your total investment portfolio or do you buy as many coins as possible with each months salary.

Personally, I have just ordered my first 5 and would consider buying 3 per quarter or something similar - depending on how the value rises/declines of course.

I've got a some half and quarter krugerrands and I don't really like the look of them (though that isn't the point of course). Too coppery looking compared to the goldline bullion bar and maple. Just personal prefence really.

I don't mind listing my modest collection, which started about a year ago

17 sovereigns (aiming for 20 to fill both sovereign boxes....how sad) :rolleyes:

1 half sovereign

1oz eagle

1oz goldline bar

2x 1/2oz krugerrands

2x 1/4oz krugerrands

1/10th maple

1/10th eagle

+50 ounces of .999 silver bars

I tend to spend 200-300 quid per month of left over salary. £500 goes on mortgage overpayments, and the rest in a cash isa. So it's maybe 20%-30% of my unspent salary, and mrs bottletop puts 750 into her savings account cos she thinks I'm being stupid buying silly gold coins.

Edited by bottletop

another krugger bugger here. agree they're not the prettiest but they are the cheapest.

bought a stack of silver brittanias today though. guess they'll be prettier :) - i went off gold jewellry sometime in the early 90's ......

I buy my Gold coins from Hang Seng Bank, here in Hong Kong.

They only offer Australian Nuggets or US Eagles - both at the same price and no Capital gains Taxes in Hong Kong!

Prices will continue to rise with Gold, despite the ups & downs of the market!

I just bought my first silver boullion, I wonder if I overpayed? ! oz 999 silver £5.50. I bought it off e-bay, I cannot find anywhere else to buy.

zsuzsanna, that is where I bought mine as well. most wsa bought for £5-5.30 per ounce, so not far off what you paid. I tended to buy 10-15 ounces at a time as the postage works out cheaper.

I don't know what you paid for postage, but it's usually something like £1.50 for 1 ounce or £5 for 10 ounces.

zsuzsanna, that is where I bought mine as well. most wsa bought for £5-5.30 per ounce, so not far off what you paid. I tended to buy 10-15 ounces at a time as the postage works out cheaper.

I don't know what you paid for postage, but it's usually something like £1.50 for 1 ounce or £5 for 10 ounces.

I paid £1.75 PP, but I will get a few more and then save on PP. Thanks for the info. I am in the dark a bit when it comes to investments, so because I am a Lady and LOVE shiny things I thought I cannot go wrong with gold and silver.