House Price Crash Forum
200p

The Elite Live At Sea

our-story3.jpg

http://www.aboardtheworld.com/our_story

Since our launch in 2002, The World has continuously circumnavigated the globe, spending extensive time in the most exotic and well-traveled ports, allowing us - the Residents - to wake up in a new destination every few days, exploring with depth we had never before thought possible. It's a lifestyle we are truly grateful to live each day.

At 644 feet, The World is the largest privately owned yacht on the planet. Each of us owns one or more of the 165 private onboard Residences, and collectively, we own the ship, ensuring that our experiences - both onboard and off - are far beyond current luxury travel standards.

Who wants bricks and mortar?

More for the aspiring elite.

Probably a bit too pretentious for anyone with serious wealth.

And alarmingly similar to the plot of the Pixar film Wall-E

And the cost:

(from Wiki)

Prices

As of 2010, a 328 sq ft (30.5 m2) studio (Ocean Studio 661) has a list price of USD $600,000. Ocean Residence 1006 (2 bedroom, 2.5 bath) list price USD $2,950,000. The World Suite 1108/1110 list price USD $13,500,000.

Monthly homeowner dues range from $20,000 per month (for the smaller units) and up, and cover fuel, crew, maintenance and a meal allowance for the owner.

Meh!!

Edit to add - what exactly is "2.5 bath"? :huh:

Edited by Roseland69

The big advantage is that the residents are not tax resident in any country meaning zero tax on the incomes they receive from their assets. Thus their bank balance actually increases by living this way.

The big advantage is that the residents are not tax resident in any country meaning zero tax on the incomes they receive from their assets. Thus their bank balance actually increases by living this way.

Nope - this argument was tried but it failed.

when ever i see this man i get the feeling he won't die of natural causes. I'm sure it's just not possible to be so flamboyantly wealthy and not incite your own demise. Maybe it's a Freudian jealousy thing though and i'm projecting my own hatred, but i still could be right.

But I guess they still have to be domiciled in an actual state. Can't have human beings roaming the planet without restraint.

Maybe if they launch into outerspace ...?

when ever i see this man i get the feeling he won't die of natural causes. I'm sure it's just not possible to be so flamboyantly wealthy and not incite your own demise. Maybe it's a Freudian jealousy thing though and i'm projecting my own hatred, but i still could be right.

I think he keeps a high profile to make it more difficult for Putin to bump him off, should he ever decide so to do.

They're scheduled to pass through pirate alley off the coast of Somalia, good of them to post their travel plans well in advance.

Must be one of those honeypot things.

Q Ship.

Not a very compelling argument.. lacked substance.

Indeed. Having lived in several countries and had all the joys of filing taxes in multiple jurisdictions at once, I think the answer is probably pretty damn complicated and will depend on where you came from and where your assets are. If you were a US citizen, you would still be subject to US federal taxes (and maybe state too if you had housing or other ongoing residential ties there) but, if you came from the UK, I think the situation would be much less obvious unless most of your income was UK sourced. Having said that, I think you'd have be seriously deranged to want to live on that thing all year round just to avoid paying some tax. Surely better to live in Monaco (no income tax so long as you're not French) and keep a yacht in the harbour?