House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
General Congreve

Sign Of The Times

Just popped out to get some bits and pieces in town (actually my girlfriend's town) and was greeted with the following sights, just thought I'd share...

By the way the magazine shots are from the front and back of First Time Buyer Magazine, a disgusting publication, should be on the top shelf! <_<

tn_Turn to Bank of Mum and Dad.JPG

tn_Go on, get in debt!.JPG

tn_Anne Diamond says it's ok.JPG

tn_Give us the precioussssssssss.JPG

tn_Highest prices for preciousssss, just sell it.JPG

tn_The future for hard working families.JPG

post-20010-0-97211200-1307206381_thumb.jpg

post-20010-0-20106700-1307206388_thumb.jpg

post-20010-0-38193900-1307206395_thumb.jpg

post-20010-0-21069300-1307206410_thumb.jpg

post-20010-0-10303800-1307206430_thumb.jpg

post-20010-0-25853300-1307206443_thumb.jpg

After looking at all of your pictures and given the current economic situation I would summarise that given the evidence in Picture two you my friend have a rather unnatural fat thumb.

Just popped out to get some bits and pieces in town (actually my girlfriend's town) and was greeted with the following sights, just thought I'd share...

By the way the magazine shots are from the front and back of First Time Buyer Magazine, a disgusting publication, should be on the top shelf! <_<

Hang on - there's actually a magazine devoted to first time buyers?!!

:blink:

Interesting to see the 'Sell your gold' sign. When the sign says 'Buy your gold here' that might make me think.

Indeed, this is what many don't seem to understand, selling to an ignorant public is bubble territory. However, as a business, buying from an ignorant public under current conditions is equally dastardly There are legions unwittingly being relieved of their gold throughout the country.

I've seen gold buying advertised before, but all three adverts were within 200 metres of each other and the Anne Diamond gold post packs were in WH Smiths of all places!!!

After looking at all of your pictures and given the current economic situation I would summarise that given the evidence in Picture two you my friend have a rather unnatural fat thumb.

Glad to hear it, I usually get accused of having slender lady-like hands, times are a changing indeed! :D

Yep, beggars belief. Saw it for the first time today, knew it would go down well on here!!!

I think the sub-title: 'We need your virgin blood' would be most appropriate for it.

Its circulation figures are in single figures.

I think it merged with Buy To Let Monthly (its me pension innit) to boost circulation.

Indeed, this is what many don't seem to understand, selling to an ignorant public is bubble territory. However, as a business, buying from an ignorant public under current conditions is equally dastardly There are legions unwittingly being relieved of their gold throughout the country.

That's not dastardly - people are exercising free choice.

My brother got married six years ago. We all stayed in a hotel in London. During the ceremony his bride left a £30k inherited gold bracelet in their hotel suite. They got back to the hotel - bracelet stolen! No insurance. That's dastardly!

I don't remind her of how much it would be worth now. They own a flat, but still can't afford a decent house in London.

"Linda Barker - Designs On Life

BUDGETING HARD AND SAVING HARD IT WILL MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OWNING YOUR FIRST HOME OR NOT"

Sensible quote though.

Except when prices are rising by more per year than you earn, then it's just pointless.

Its circulation figures are in single figures.

nah, its aimed at big issue sellers.

That's not dastardly - people are exercising free choice.

My brother got married six years ago. We all stayed in a hotel in London. During the ceremony his bride left a £30k inherited gold bracelet in their hotel suite. They got back to the hotel - bracelet stolen! No insurance. That's dastardly!

I don't remind her of how much it would be worth now. They own a flat, but still can't afford a decent house in London.

Ouch! :o

Except when prices are rising by more per year than you earn, then it's just pointless.

Yes but when deflation hits their savings will go up in value ;)

:lol:

I recall buying a copy of 'First Time Buyer' magazine from somewhere like W H Smith back in 2003 or thereabouts. :ph34r:

:unsure: Thought it had disappeared from the shelves altogether in the mid 2000s due to a niche market but seems like it has risen from the ashes like Phoenix.

The featured properties are rather disappointing however. Seem to be all new-builds, so the mag is probably subsidised by developers. Example:

Romford, in the heart of the stabbing fields, from 179, 950

The one-bedroom apartments comprise an open plan kitchen/living/dining room . . .

Less space for more money than you ever imagined possible.

It has a fawning interview with Shill Spencer:

"My father dabbled in the property market," he says, "but it wasn't until I was older that I became really interested in the industry and managed to get a job in an estate agent's in the early 90s, but unfortunately I never sold a thing!"

"If you look at the population numbers in relation to the number of houses, there is still a house shortage. Today people are living longer, leaving home earlier, marrying later and divorcing more often, and we are not building enough houses to accommodate this. Market forces dictate prices. At the end of the day it's a question of supply versus demand. If we put all the different scenarios into a melting pot, it says to me that in the long term house prices can only rise. For first time buyers the market is tough; borrowing money is a big problem, and it is extremely difficult to get enough of a deposit together today. My advice is that there is no urgency, but all the time you are renting you are actually paying someone else's mortgage off. The next Budget will be interesting because the previous government provided lots of schemes for shared ownership and HomeBuy Direct, which really helped first timers. It's now up for review, but I do believe the government appreciates that first time buyers are vital to the rest of the market. There are currently many cuts and savings being made, but I have a feeling that they know that the housing market is vital to the country's economic growth."

Strangely enough, there's no mention of Garrington Home Finders disappearing down the Gary Glitter!

Hang on, even now never mind then, £30k gold is more than you can carry ....

6 years ago 30k would have got you 3 kilos of bullion or a fancy heirloom bracelet. These days it'll buy you a kilo.

Even 3 kilos is pretty portable, equivalent to a medium weight bag of shopping.

Hmmmm, your lack of knowledge on this rather simple matter of gold weight does call into question your credentials on the several occasions you have questioned my previous posts. :lol:

Hang on, even now never mind then, £30k gold is more than you can carry ....

It was a carry-your-wealth-around-with-you thing from pakistan - never saw it, but that's what they say it was worth. Sister in law made the mistake of not reading the instructions!

Edited by okaycuckoo