House Price Crash Forum
Jimmy_James

A Quick Ftb E-Mail For Cheaper Housing?

Hi all,

A volunteer from PricedOut here.

We're running a small campaign at the moment. Trying to encourage the government to push throug its plans to allow developers to convert empty commercial property into residential without having to seek planning permission.

Because there is a very large glut of empty commerical property in many parts of the UK, it means that releasing this will put a downward pressure on residential prices. It is also very likely to 'happen' as big commerical developers are desperate in trying to improve the vaule of their assets, and it won't run into the NIMBY wall of opposition (because most of it will be in high demand, central urban areas). If you want cheaper housing - this is the fastest and politically most realistic way to get it!

It was one of the few good things announced in the Budget, and we've heard that it is getting quite a luke warm reception in government - some people are very opposed to it (Local Authority planners, who have more clout under the 'Localism' regime), the housebuilders aren't keen because it means cheaper houses. So the only lobby left supporting it is the commercial property lobby - who are seen as very partisan.

Without more active support from another group it may well run into the sand and not happen.

That's why we're trying to get First TIme Buyers to write into the current government consultation to say they support the idea - that homes are too expensive and that they think this is a good route to get more supply.

We've set up an action page on our website.

Just having fifty First Time Buyers writing in would make a big difference - as normally only 100 people write to these consultations. So if any of you want to help out that would be great!

Many thanks

The PricedOut Team

http://www.pricedout.org.uk/Campaign/GetInvolved/TurnEmptyBuildingsintoHomes/tabid/205/Default.aspx

Good luck with that. :)

The office blocks around here (Norwich) seem to have 'To Let' boards outside them as a permanent fixture! It is frustrating to see them under-used when housing is in such short supply.

Would support the campaign myself but technically I am a wannabe '2nd time buyer' having bought and sold one property so far. :D

done

Hi all,

We're running a small campaign at the moment. Trying to encourage the government to push throug its plans to allow developers to convert empty commercial property into residential without having to seek planning permission.

Because there is a very large glut of empty commerical property in many parts of the UK, it means that releasing this will put a downward pressure on residential prices. It is also very likely to 'happen' as big commerical developers are desperate in trying to improve the vaule of their assets, and it won't run into the NIMBY wall of opposition (because most of it will be in high demand, central urban areas). If you want cheaper housing - this is the fastest and politically most realistic way to get it!

It was one of the few good things announced in the Budget, and we've heard that it is getting quite a luke warm reception in government - some people are very opposed to it (Local Authority planners, who have more clout under the 'Localism' regime), the housebuilders aren't keen because it means cheaper houses. So the only lobby left supporting it is the commercial property lobby - who are seen as very partisan.

Without more active support from another group it may well run into the sand and not happen.

That's why we're trying to get First TIme Buyers to write into the current government consultation to say they support the idea - that homes are too expensive and that they think this is a good route to get more supply.

Just having fifty First Time Buyers writing in would make a big difference - as normally only 100 people write to these consultations. So if any of you want to help out that would be great!

Many thanks

The PricedOut Team

http://www.pricedout.org.uk/Campaign/GetInvolved/TurnEmptyBuildingsintoHomes/tabid/205/Default.aspx

Hi all,

(...)

Hi JJ,

First of all thanks for the work there. We need you!

And the country needs you! Please, see my forum sig., below.

About this new campaign, yes, it may help reduce housing costs a little, but ... as my sig. implies, there is a strong element of robbing Peter to pay Paul in your proposal. Sorry.

We do need to liberalise planning. I understand that NIMBYs are the main problem here (in my sig. again! :lol: ), but you will have to fight them. We will not have a better housing stock if we don't fight these b@stards. Sorry.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Would support the campaign myself but technically I am a wannabe '2nd time buyer' having bought and sold one property so far. :D

Why is that a problem?

And why shouldn't pricedout be equally interested in getting support from, for example, parents who are themselves comfortably off but concerned about their children?

Count me in, I will send of the letter today.

It is a shame that the majority of HPC members sit around on there lazy fat arses moaning and can't even summon up the 5 minute effort to press print and stuff a letter into an envelope.

Remember house building has fallen off a cliff and isn't going to get better so any improvement is better than sitting there winging in a forum.

This post will be read by 100's. If 50% reading this could just send the letter (It won't take long honestly) it would make a huge difference.

Count me in, I will send of the letter today.

It is a shame that the majority of HPC members sit around on there lazy fat arses moaning and can't even summon up the 5 minute effort to press print and stuff a letter into an envelope.

Remember house building has fallen off a cliff and isn't going to get better so any improvement is better than sitting there winging in a forum.

This post will be read by 100's. If 50% reading this could just send the letter (It won't take long honestly) it would make a huge difference.

Actually many people here are quite active letter writers. I've written to my MP, Grant Schapps (twice) George Osbourne and Eric pickles. Although the replies received makes it feel like you are wasting your time.

Even easier for HPC members, you can just send ti by email to C3consultation@communities.gsi.gov.uk

Anyone who does not send this email clearly doesn't really give 2 bits about house prices being to high!

Dear CLG,

I am writing to submit my views to the current consultation on proposals to allow the conversion of commercial to residential property.

Housing is far too expensive where I live. There has been too few new homes built and prices are far above local incomes.

There is a surplus of empty commercial property where I live – offices and shops are standing empty and have been for many years. When house prices are so high this makes no sense.

I support the proposal to allow commercial properties to be converted into residential property without the need for planning permission – this includes the conversion of offices, industrial space, warehouses and more than one flat above shops.

Converting this commercial property into residential use would be good news for young people and First Time Buyers – it would increase supply and lead to lower prices. This will also free up the current frozen housing market and get things moving again with new buyers entering the market.

It is also something that would happen if permitted – there would be little opposition from locals as it is existing property and commercial property developers would have the economic incentives to get moving quickly.

Local Authority planners have a very poor record of providing enough affordable housing. They also have a poor record in providing a sensible amount of commercial property. Giving them so much control over the use of existing properties has not delivered what is needed.

High housing costs are a big problem for local businesses in my area – it increases costs for employees and means it is harder to recruit motivated and talented people. Lower housing costs should be a priority for the economic strategy of our planning system

Yours truly,

(...)

(...)

Yes, that is the main problem.

Pushing up the prices (cost) of commercial properties won't help. Please see my previous post, here: http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=164601&view=findpost&p=3009645

Hi all,

Many thanks

The PricedOut Team

Done :D

Hey thanks everyone,

Good to see everyone helping out - you can easily do it by e-mail too, so no need to worry about printing and stamps!

Tired of Waiting - we absolutely get your point, we need more liberalised planning laws. We're campaigning on that as well. I guess the key point is that this proposal on commerical property is happening now, and in the short term it is the most likely thing on the horizon to produce results (given the terrible state of the balance sheets of most UK house builders and the reluctance of landowners to release land at post crunch prices)

So giving the government a quick prod would help alot!

Cheers again for people taking this up

Best

JJ

It seems a lot easier to get a new industrial estate or shopping center thrown up then a housing estate built. That is why I support this idea.

So what if the empty commercial stock is reduced. They do not reduce rents on commercial property when it has been empty anyway.

Also there is always less of a NIMBY reaction at building new industrial areas to create jobs than building housing estates that will reduce peoples house prices. So if we tun out of commercial property I can't see much public objection to creating more.

(...) and the reluctance of landowners to release land at post crunch prices (...)

:) You do get it! Great news!

That is probably the most important point of all - regarding the supply side (essential in the south): land prices.

Though only land with planning is expensive, due to the scarcity of it, consequence of the planning blockage. Liberalise planning and the price of land with planning will fall. I still think this should be your main focus.

Your proposal will push up the prices of commercial properties, and this is definitely not good for the economy, reducing the chances and speed of the economic recovery. Sorry.

It seems a lot easier to get a new industrial estate or shopping center thrown up then a housing estate built. That is why I support this idea.

So what if the empty commercial stock is reduced. They do not reduce rents on commercial property when it has been empty anyway.

Also there is always less of a NIMBY reaction at building new industrial areas to create jobs than building housing estates that will reduce peoples house prices. So if we tun out of commercial property I can't see much public objection to creating more.

Yes, that is possible. Though it is a crazy roundabout way of doing things. But hey, if the country is crazy, we may have to find crazy ways to round it... :unsure:

Edit: Nah, to push the prices/costs of commercial properties up is a very a bad idea. Sorry. I thought it over, and the conclusions are even stronger and worse: it is a very very bad idea. We do need a recovery. Cheap commercial premises will be essential.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

It seems a lot easier to get a new industrial estate or shopping center thrown up then a housing estate built.

But that's to do with financing, not planning.

When you build a commercial property it shows as an asset on your balance sheet immediatly it is completed, even if its empty.

When you build residential property it is a liability until you have sold it

This probably explains why I have seen pubs bought up recently by "brown site developers" and then just left with nothing happening.

I expect they are speculating on this very legislation.

Here is a link to the downloads for the relevant document and "snail mail" address. Might be worthwhile addressing Theresa Donohue directly in the emails too.

http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/relaxationchangeconsultation

Increasing set of figures on relative emptiness levels, supply vs demand, etc ...

Edited by PatientlyWaiting

Unlikely. The legislation is about going from B classes to C3 class being made more easy. Pubs are mostly A4 class.

This probably explains why I have seen pubs bought up recently by "brown site developers" and then just left with nothing happening.

I expect they are speculating on this very legislation.

Done.

Hi all,

Many thanks

The PricedOut Team

What ive noticed and mentioned before, too. Building some eyesore warehouse just out of eyes view seems to go unopposed. Building a little cottage is met with cries of "your're concreting over the countryside"

Unlikely. The legislation is about going from B classes to C3 class being made more easy. Pubs are mostly A4 class.

Thanks PW.. I had no idea there were so many different classes.

For anyone else who wasn't aware, A class are essentially shops, B class is industrial, C class is residential.

A full detailed list is provided HERE.

But hey, if the country is crazy, we may have to find crazy ways to round it...

Come on TOW - you've made over 8,000 HPC posts and you still don't think that housing in this country is crazy... :lol:

Thanks for keeping to send this in people!