House Price Crash Forum
200p

Bbc News - Infected By Bears

The bears are out today. We're doomed!

Good interview with nigel from propert-finder.co.uk on the rental situation. More are renting - "housing market in limbo". More people renting in to their 30-40s, never owning a home.

Edited by Money Spinner

These two presenters are retards! When you retire you downsize to what you can afford. The same as if you own your home. And with house prices as they are not many will have there mortgages paid off by then anyway.

The bears are out today. We're doomed!

Good interview with nigel from propert-finder.co.uk on the rental situation. More are renting - "housing market in limbo". More people renting in to their 30-40s, never owning a home.

It was cr@p.

As a tenant, the most worrying thing is the absurdly short, 60 days notice, that can come through the letter box any morning. This is ridiculous. Just medieval. We are serfs here. Actually, much less secure, less rights than a medieval serf!

The guy from shelter is better. "house prices out of control"

Yes, finally! The new guy there just said that other EU countries offer much more secure, longer term tenancies!

Exactly! THAT is our main problem here: 60 days notice! . Pity he didn't mentioned that directly "60 days" thing.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

Feature about 'tenants rights' on now (which should be of interest as I'm also a tenant).

The guy from Shelter is surprisingly bearish - 'Unsustainable house prices', 'rampant unemployment', 'government doing nothing', 'the market's broken'.

Obviously these guys have their own agenda but is refreshing to hear this kind of chatter on the Beeb, even if it's GCSE-standard in its content.

edit: *snap*!

Edited by Mr 0.01%

I think the system is so broken right now, that a change in tenancy laws is inevitably on the cards in the next 5 years. Low wages and high house prices have painted a whole generation into a corner, and it's this generation that I feel wont take this kind of shit when they start getting into their mid 30's.

I think the system is so broken right now, that a change in tenancy laws is inevitably on the cards in the next 5 years. Low wages and high house prices have painted a whole generation into a corner, and it's this generation that I feel wont take this kind of shit when they start getting into their mid 30's.

tennancy laws more weighted in tennants' favour means they are less favourable to landlords - another long term, decadal, negative influence on house prices, reducing yields and therefore capital values

And what will this locked-out generation do exactly?? eh nothing. There is more outrage about voting on some talent show than people not being able to afford a roof over their heads - house prices have been out of control for years and the locked-out generation have done nothing.

that was because their demographic numbers were too small in election terms - this is changing around

the baby boomer generation has overwhelmed politics for the past 30 years

60 days notice! .

Some have less than that.

Sure you didn't sign a section 21 when you moved in?

Agreed though.. tenants rights should be improved. I think a tenant who pays their rent should be afforded at least 3 months notice, 6 months if they have kids.

+ All possession notices should be void after 3 months if not acted upon.

And what will this locked-out generation do exactly?? eh nothing. There is more outrage about voting on some talent show than people not being able to afford a roof over their heads - house prices have been out of control for years and the locked-out generation have done nothing.

Exactly. In the Middle East they have been toppling governments with Facebook and Twitter. In the UK all they do is rant about "Britains Got No Talent" to the point I've given up with social media.

Some have less than that.

Sure you didn't sign a section 21 when you moved in?

Agreed though.. tenants rights should be improved. I think a tenant who pays their rent should be afforded at least 3 months notice, 6 months if they have kids.

+ All possession notices should be void after 3 months if not acted upon.

Yes, 3 months would be the minimum ... decent!

And I'm quite sure it would be politically very easy to pass. Who would be publicly against it?

And yes, it should be longer for families with children. The problem here is that it would probably backfire, making more difficult for families to find landlords that would accept them.

Yes, 3 months would be the minimum ... decent!

And I'm quite sure it would be politically very easy to pass. Who would be publicly against it?

And yes, it should be longer for families with children. The problem here is that it would probably backfire, making more difficult for families to find landlords that would accept them.

Indeed.

You have to be very careful to not go too far.

As an anecdotal, I've rented in Paris, where the law is very firmly in favour of the tenant - 3 year guaranteed tenancies, strict ban on evicting someone who is not paying the rent if they have kids and it's winter, etc...

The result, combined with the housing shortage in the Paris area, means that landlords are incredibly picky. Getting a flat is like going for an interview - don't forget your bank statements for the last X months, proof of permanent employment, wage slips, reference from previous landlord, and more.

Indeed.

As an anecdotal, I've rented in Paris, where the law is very firmly in favour of the tenant - 3 year guaranteed tenancies, strict ban on evicting someone who is not paying the rent if they have kids and it's winter, etc...

The result, combined with the housing shortage in the Paris area, means that landlords are incredibly picky. Getting a flat is like going for an interview - don't forget your bank statements for the last X months, proof of permanent employment, wage slips, reference from previous landlord, and more.

Exactly.

3 months minimum notice would be a good first step.

Moreover: As the tenants will have to pay for moving costs and a for new deposit, these 3 months should be rent free.

Indeed.

So we need a happy medium where if you do pay the rent you have decent rights and if you don't you lose them....