House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Parking Fine Trough Explodes As Local Authorities Allowed To Pocket Profits

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8553136/Parking-tickets-soar-to-record-levels.html

.../

The tribunal, which handles appeals outside London, said councils in England and Wales issued 4,035,555 parking tickets in the 12 months ending in March 2009, compared with 2.5 million in 2003 and 794,851 in 2000-1.
These figures reflect a growing number of councils taking advantage of
“decriminalisation”, which has transferred parking control from the police to the town hall and allowed them to keep the cash raised from fines
At the last count 272 councils now have these powers with the number rising steadily each year as more authorities join the system.

Perhaps more of these crooks will be using parking fines to pad out their "bonuses" as taking it from the poor council taxpayers may be inviting pitchforks and burning torches.

This country is becoming more intolerable by the day. Who will rid us of these troublesome crooks?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8553136/Parking-tickets-soar-to-record-levels.html

.../

The tribunal, which handles appeals outside London, said councils in England and Wales issued 4,035,555 parking tickets in the 12 months ending in March 2009, compared with 2.5 million in 2003 and 794,851 in 2000-1.
These figures reflect a growing number of councils taking advantage of
“decriminalisation”, which has transferred parking control from the police to the town hall and allowed them to keep the cash raised from fines
At the last count 272 councils now have these powers with the number rising steadily each year as more authorities join the system.

Perhaps more of these crooks will be using parking fines to pad out their "bonuses" as taking it from the poor council taxpayers may be inviting pitchforks and burning torches.

This country is becoming more intolerable by the day. Who will rid us of these troublesome crooks?

Corruption is rife in this country amongst the political elite...no one has any inclination to sort it out and start imprisoning more of these crooks.

What is the basis in law for parking tickets if it is decriminalised?

Lawlessness.

This country is running roughshod over centuries of freedoms from Magna Carta. I have just had an email from my MP asking me for feedback on a local Pikey problem. I replied to the effect that Pikies are the least of our troubles and that revolution is being openly talked about on forums where normally conservative and "educated" types hang out! I tell you, I am ready for it, just bring on a modern day Cromwell and lets tear the system down and start again based on true Parliamentary Democracy and a protestant work ethic. Its been almost 400 years and we are long overdue.

Edited by Realistbear

I tell you, I am ready for it, just bring on a modern day Cromwell and lets tear the system down and start again based on true Parliamentary Democracy and a protestant work ethic.

You can keep your protestant work ethic, but the rest of it sounds good.

As far as I can tell, the protestant work ethic was something used to keep the proles busy, to stop them thinking too much. We should move on from that.

Lawlessness.

This country is running roughshod over centuries of freedoms from Magna Carta. I have just had an email from my MP asking me for feedback on a local Pikey problem. I replied to the effect that Pikies are the least of our troubles and that revolution is being openly talked about on forums where normally conservative and "educated" types hang out! I tell you, I am ready for it, just bring on a modern day Cromwell and lets tear the system down and start again based on true Parliamentary Democracy and a protestant work ethic. Its been almost 400 years and we are long overdue.

Oh, well done big mouth. Tip off the powers that be.

Edited by Jack's Creation

As far as I can tell, the protestant work ethic was something used to keep the proles busy, to stop them thinking too much. We should move on from that.

The US is built on the PWE and they managed to pull off the number 1 slot GDP-wise. Its hard work and adherence to a moral code that involves a measure of social conscience and honest dealing with neighbours. Making that which is noble the end fresult. Its an ideal but it does reign in such things as Banksterism and Councillors at the trough when properly applied. Gets watered down over time of course but the foundation is what makes capitalism really work.

Something is going to have to be done as the government are out of control and the country is divided and ungovernable especially now that immigration is no longer addressable within present structures. Too late for Dave, Anglela and Nicholai to say multiculturalism was a mistake. Should have seen the problem when Enoch was discussing the end result of mutlicultualism over against unity before we are where we are today.

Charles I lost his head for the simple reason that his government no longer represented the aspirations of the people he sought to govern. Is it not the same today no matter which party gets the most MPs?

We need a return to liberal democracy, a radical overhaul of government and a leadership willing to tackle what ails this country head on. Much as the Middle Easterners are attempting to do with little success in Syria and even less success in Saudi.

Edited by Realistbear

Would that be the same US where employers can, I believe, get rid of you rather easily and where you're lucky to get two weeks holiday a year? No thanks. We're living in the age of plenty - deflation should be everywhere, according to economic theory, look at all the goods around trying to attract your money, the problem we have at the moment is resource allocation.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have to work, far from it, you need to do something to keep your brain active, but to me the PWE is all about working a little too hard. It's time we moved on, just a bit.

I agree that something needs to be done - it's time we moved away from a political system with troughers in charge, who are only interested in running the country for the benefit of themselves and their trougher mates. Minimising inequality is the key - massive inequality causes high crime. the only tricky part is reallocating the wealth fairly.

I think we should roll back and rethink the industrial revolution.

+1

I think we should roll back and rethink the industrial revolution.

Actually we need a second industrial revolution, which we'll have soon. This time it'll be a tech revolution, and I think it'll go some way to breaking the stranglehold of major corporations with regard to some things.

I'm not sure that has any basis in fact. The wealthy of the time shared the same work ethic.. and since they were at the top were expected to lead by example.

I'm not sure we are quite in a position yet were we can move on from work and self discipline.

To add to the general revolutionary fervour ... :D

I have now got to the point where I think the situation we now find in Britain as regards the behaviour and actions of the media, political and financial classes is nothing more than a scarcely disguised grand theft of wealth from the ordinary people of Britain.

I feel like we are living through reverse Robin Hood times: the elites are stealing from the poor to give to the rich, and it is blatant in a way that it never has been before. They are impoverishing us to pay for their luxurious lifestyles.

We are being exploited.

Every time I read the newspapers, something else comes up. If it is not MPs using taxpayers' money to buy designer sofas for their own homes, it is councillors using our money to pay for their trips abroad, or MEPs buying Tiffany jewelry, or license fee payers paying for BBC executives to have private healthcare and go to festivals etc.

But the thing that really got me yesterday was that story about civil servants spending £1300 on a civil service credit card for a night out at a club. I really hope the story is not true, because, if it is, it signifies an attitude in government towards taxpayers that suggest a kind of master/serf relationship, or that taxpayers are just some sort of milk cows to feed the appetites of those who are able to exploit them.

£1300 is more than the entire annual income tax payment of someone on the National Minimum Wage (about £956 a year), so, basically, you could say some NMW cleaner or retail assistant or driver worked for a year and paid tax so a bunch of civil servants could, literally, piss the money up the wall in one night.

It has all got beyond a joke now. I have noticed that people no longer get angry about these things; instead, there is a certain hard stillness about, like that moment of assessment before an animal strikes, and I suspect that we are heading to that point where the zeitgeist switches suddenly, and things "turn" very quickly.

I'm not sure that has any basis in fact. The wealthy of the time shared the same work ethic.. and since they were at the top were expected to lead by example.

So, perhaps the problem these days is that the average person see the wealthy as sitting on their arses, letting all the others do the hard work and reaping the rewards, and want a piece of that for themselves. The basis of HPI?

I'm not sure we are quite in a position yet were we can move on from work and self discipline.

If the burden was shared more equally, then a lot would have to work less. Why do you not think we're ready for that yet?

Back to the OP - it amazes me that only 14,000 drivers (outside London) appealed tickets. A lot of road markings and signage for parking restrictions are defective, and are therefore unenforcable - in some cases, actually illegal. The councils won't give you latitude for overstaying a meter, but expect to be able to charge people for parking when the council fails to stick to the letter of the law.

That said, I have only had one parking ticket in 3 decades (which I should have appealed, but I didn't know the law so well then). Most parking restrictions are for safety reasons or to ensure traffic flows better. Where I live, they seem to be intelligently applied. Bad parking is still antisocial and can create a hazard for drivers or pedestrians.

If councils use them to raise revenue, or to pursue a campaign against motorists for idealogical reasons, then it could become reasonable to ignore them, and possible to where the signs are defective.

I have no expectation of ever having to pay for another parking ticket. Even if one were ever to be issued.

Edited by happy_renting

To add to the general revolutionary fervour ... :D

I have now got to the point where I think the situation we now find in Britain as regards the behaviour and actions of the media, political and financial classes is nothing more than a scarcely disguised grand theft of wealth from the ordinary people of Britain.

I feel like we are living through reverse Robin Hood times: the elites are stealing from the poor to give to the rich, and it is blatant in a way that it never has been before. They are impoverishing us to pay for their luxurious lifestyles.

We are being exploited.

Every time I read the newspapers, something else comes up. If it is not MPs using taxpayers' money to buy designer sofas for their own homes, it is councillors using our money to pay for their trips abroad, or MEPs buying Tiffany jewelry, or license fee payers paying for BBC executives to have private healthcare and go to festivals etc.

But the thing that really got me yesterday was that story about civil servants spending £1300 on a civil service credit card for a night out at a club. I really hope the story is not true, because, if it is, it signifies an attitude in government towards taxpayers that suggest a kind of master/serf relationship, or that taxpayers are just some sort of milk cows to feed the appetites of those who are able to exploit them.

£1300 is more than the entire annual income tax payment of someone on the National Minimum Wage (about £956 a year), so, basically, you could say some NMW cleaner or retail assistant or driver worked for a year and paid tax so a bunch of civil servants could, literally, piss the money up the wall in one night.

It has all got beyond a joke now. I have noticed that people no longer get angry about these things; instead, there is a certain hard stillness about, like that moment of assessment before an animal strikes, and I suspect that we are heading to that point where the zeitgeist switches suddenly, and things "turn" very quickly.

That's a nice turn of phrase.

It's the moment when people realize that they have to act in their own self interest in order to survive.

Guest eight

And they could have been bankrupted to pay it, too.

This mindset is endemic in the public sector, but then why wouldn't it be? It's the natural consequence of public funding. Can't say too much, but I know of a public sector place near me where the words "petty cash" and "staff sandwich money" are interchangeable.....

eight