House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SaintJay

Business Rates Vs Council Tax

Would it make any difference to the tenant?

i think the councils would have to make it for owners - not to be passed on through higher rents / charges.

they do like their loopholes though. would flood the market overnight though...

Why would councils shoot themselves in the foot by reclassifying BTL as for business rates? (assuming it's even possible). Council's don't keep business rates, they pass them on to central government.

From wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_rates_in_England_and_Wales

Billing and collection is the responsibility of the local authorities who are funded by the tax, but rather than receipts being retained directly, they are pooled centrally and then are redistributed. The rateable value is multiplied by a centrally-set fraction to produce the annual bill; a number of reliefs are available, such as those for charities and small businesses. In 2005/06, £19.9 billion was collected in business rates, representing 4.35% of the total UK tax income.[2]

Why would councils shoot themselves in the foot by reclassifying BTL as for business rates? (assuming it's even possible). Council's don't keep business rates, they pass them on to central government.

From wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_rates_in_England_and_Wales

it was a question- the above explains why not - thanks.

although governments do like mucking about with tax..

i think the councils would have to make it for owners - not to be passed on through higher rents / charges.

they do like their loopholes though. would flood the market overnight though...

Its a lovely thought but i rent a flat for which i have to pay council tax and rent an office for which i have to pay business rates.

Its a lovely thought but i rent a flat for which i have to pay council tax and rent an office for which i have to pay business rates.

but as a tenant, you're not a business but the landlord would be.