House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sledgehead

Question : Property Lawyers Advice Sought

So a mate of mine is moving in with his lady friend and he is selling his house: nice quiey area, commanders, bankers and businessmen. He knows how sticky the market is and was desperate to sell. Consequently when somebody put in an offer 20k below his (reasonable) asking price, he bit their arm off.

The fact that the only people wanting to buy were a troop of chavs took the gloss off things (especially for the neighbours), but as he put it "lax lending means anyone can buy almost anywhere but it's only the stupid ones who are willing to take on high multiples."

He didn't however anticipate their moving in tactics. Let me explain.

They left their own house for people below them in the chain but failed to make sure contracts had been exchanged. When they arrived at my mates, this herd unloaded the removals wagon onto his front lawn (what a sight!), my mate being unwilling to let them move in without his solicitor's confirmation that exchange of contracts and transfer of funds had occured.

So now his front lawn is stacked with all their wordly goods, it is threatening to tip down, they are effectively homeless and he is being branded Mr masty for not letting them move in.

He realises that if he lets them put anything in the house they will have squatters rights.

But I wonder, whether having allowed them to put their tat on his lawn, he has granted them rights to leave it there. Does anybody know the answer to this. Can they set up a mini-glasto now and scupper any future sale?!?!@# I tend to think he shouldn't have let them unpack a thing onto his land. Views please! Intriguing eh?

Edited by Sledgehead

Maybe if he hires a big skip and some big lads, they might put pressure on their solicitor to speed things up!

Surely just putting things in someone's garden doesn't give you rights to their house! Chavs around here are always putting things in my garden, tyres, old washing machines etc, but never have they then asked for a bed for the night.

Hilarious tho your posts are, I'm not exactly feeling more enlightened. Still, it's been a good day. I've obviously hit upon a topic that is gonna lend itself to humour, so what the heck: go for it lads and lasses! :D

PS: any serious posters please feel free to be boring.

Oh and PLEASE will somebody have a go at my ODD One Out competition in the Off Topic ares (you should see four pictures, tho some load a little slow)

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=16385

Edited by Sledgehead

So a mate of mine is moving in with his lady friend and he is selling his house: nice quiey area, commanders, bankers and businessmen. He knows how sticky the market is and was desperate to sell. Consequently when somebody put in an offer 20k below his (reasonable) asking price, he bit their arm off.

The fact that the only people wanting to buy were a troop of chavs took the gloss off things (especially for the neighbours), but as he put it "lax lending means anyone can buy almost anywhere but it's only the stupid ones who are willing to take on high multiples."

He didn't however anticipate their moving in tactics. Let me explain.

They left their own house for people below them in the chain but failed to make sure contracts had been exchanged. When they arrived at my mates, this herd unloaded the removals wagon onto his front lawn (what a sight!), my mate being unwilling to let them move in without his solicitor's confirmation that exchange of contracts and transfer of funds had occured.

So now his front lawn is stacked with all their wordly goods, it is threatening to tip down, they are effectively homeless and he is being branded Mr masty for not letting them move in.

He realises that if he lets them put anything in the house they will have squatters rights.

But I wonder, whether having allowed them to put their tat on his lawn, he has granted them rights to leave it there. Does anybody know the answer to this. Can they set up a mini-glasto now and scupper any future sale?!?!@# I tend to think he shouldn't have let them unpack a thing onto his land. Views please! Intriguing eh?

No, he shoudnt have allowed them to use his lawn.

Things do go wrong on completion day especially where the money transfer chain is concerned.

Same with selling a car. Never accept even a Bankers draft as believe it or not they can still be cancelled. Only cleared cash counts. I told a guy this and had stipulated in the advert, yet he still turned up with a Bankers draft wanting me to give my wifes car to him. I refused and he wasnt impressed saying "its as good as cash". Anyway the draft took a week to clear (I mean really clear), so Im glad he hadnt had the car for a week knowing what an old dog the car was!

why are banks taking such risks? a default looks almost certain in this case.

they are simply guests goods. not in your house, and under no arrangement other than temporary storage.

its only like allowing them to leave a car on your drive. this doesnt give them any rights of occupation.

do not allow them to camp on your lawn in person and you will be fine.

though you might want to get a nice 'tarp' for your new feature.

they are simply guests goods. not in your house, and under no arrangement other than temporary storage.

its only like allowing them to leave a car on your drive. this doesnt give them any rights of occupation.

do not allow them to camp on your lawn in person and you will be fine.

though you might want to get a nice 'tarp' for your new feature.

Why are they guests goods outside the house but squatters right giving tat when within? I don't think I'd be happy making such a distinction.

Did he actually give them permission to put the stuff on the lawn? And do they have that in writing?

If not, he could simply claim they dumped it all there without his knowledge, and have it disposed of at their expense (although you'd need to take them to court to get the money, I guess). Either that, or just leave it there, and after a while he will have legal ownership of all their posessions.

But, all in all, it seems a bit odd. Why would anyone want to leave all their posessions on someones lawn? What about rain? Security? etc.

RJ, don't know whether he gave them permission. As for it being odd, I did say "you ain't gonna believe this!"

What get sme is how stupid the buyers are for allowing their buyers to move in without cleared funds transfer. Like I say: shows th esorts that are buying now.

i didnt say that if they put a chair or two in your home they had squatters rights. im still not sure about that one. i think if they even stored furniture in your house you would still be ok provided you yourself were living in the home at the time.

could i nip into my neighbours carry a chair, sit on it and claim squatters rights ? -i believe the whole initiation depends on a property being UNOCCUPIED at the time of entry .

your panicing as the other story has spooked you. im sure they dont want to have their goods all over your garden. leave it for 48 hours, then ask them to remove them to a local self store or something. i am sure they will do that anyway. sounds like a simple mix up. i wouldnt worry about squatters.....

...for now....

I'm no lawyer (but I do have a law degree) and would say that your mate has nothing to worry about re the goods on lawn. Think about it - if you could gain possession through snatch and grab we'd all be at it and property would cost next to nothing (without cast iron property rights it is worth nothing). THe buyers have acted on presumption, and this gives no rights. Your mate should make it clear that they should make no attempt to access his property and ergo the chattels on the lawn without permission - ensuring that they understand that he means all parts of his property over which there is no public right of way/access; namely his lawn

I would however, as previous posters recommend be very sure that funds have cleared before handing over possession.

If it turns out dodgy then your mate can demand removal within a reasonable time (say 24 hrs) and if the goods are not removed arrange for them to be moved off the property, charging reasonable costs, and if he's got a nasty streak costs for restitution of the lawn to its original state.

hope this helps