rockhopper

Offshoring Has Destroyed The Economy

found a link on shaun richards blog to this PCR article

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article28212.htm

I first came across PCR with his article "The Brownshirting of America"

(2004) on Lew Rockwell and it was a time when I was very depressed about the

state of America under Bush and the neocons and the attacks on personal

freedoms in america , and it was a surprise to find someone who had served

in the Reagan administration attacking the neocons and their policies.

Anyway , altho I dont follow Lew Rockwell these days , from time to time

I come across articles by PCR and he has consistently attacked

globalisation ... there was a thread on here

"Former Assistant Secretary Of The Us Treasury Dr. Paul Craig Roberts"

which I missed (just found it looking to see if this article had been mentioned)

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=164111

(dated may 24 2011) this references a video and I prefer printed articles ,

and would even prefer just a transcript . So this may not say any more than

that thread . This references an article published by the CFR

"The Evolving Structure of the American Economy and the Employment Challenge"

and discusses that .

some lines from the PCR article :

"The two economists have taken a careful empirical look at jobs offshoring and concluded that it has ruined the income and employment prospects for most Americans."

it talks about free trade etc

"Daly makes the same point that I make, which is that the classic theory of free trade is based on comparative advantage, not on absolute advantage, and that offshoring is based on absolute advantage. Thus, offshoring is not free trade."

also about tradable and non tradable jobs .

It is an interesting piece , altho with no solutions offered .

cheers,

rockhopper

Yes and? Nobody seems to care as long it isn't their job being taken. I've had my job taken many times. But as long as people get stuff cheap do they give a damn of course hey don't

Yes and? Nobody seems to care as long it isn't their job being taken. I've had my job taken many times. But as long as people get stuff cheap do they give a damn of course hey don't

True , how sad.

I always try and avoid the slave goods.

Lets not allow the government to get off the hook here , tariffs should never have been removed , taxes should never have been this high.

True , how sad.

I always try and avoid the slave goods.

Lets not allow the government to get off the hook here , tariffs should never have been removed , taxes should never have been this high.

Please report to room 101 traitor scum!

you may be right about some people not caring as long as stuff is cheap,

but looking after the nation for the benefit of the inhabitants is what

govts are *supposed* to do . After the war, the govts did try to do the

right thing for the nation : NHS , council estates etc ... a land fit for heros etc.

Maybe they were aware that there was a large chunk of the populace who had

been trained to kill , and that incentivised them ... actually I think it was that there had

been a feeling that they had been thru the war together (shades of Dad's army) and that

they genuinely wanted to improve the lot of their fellow man ... there was also a much different

range of MPs especially many who had fought in the war , not today's type : public school,

ppe at oxford , internship at a party then a parachute into a safe seat , part hack.

Nowadays , it looks like the only concern of the politicos is to get their hands

on the taxpayer hosepipe so they can direct it into their trough (or their mates),

and who cares about the rest of us.

There has been a slide in opportunities from when I started work ,when there

were many jobs available at the job centre (or whatever it was called back then)

including apprenticeships and much else . I dont know how you reverse that , and the

other thread on the outsourcing at tory led Birmingham city council is one of the things that

should be stopped (sorry Paddles).

Labour were quite happy to encourage off shoring. Someone loses their job, they become dependent on the state and a Labour voter.

What people don't see is that why they get the chance to buy cheap crap, they have to pay extra in taxes to support all the people out of work, so the stuff isn't really cheaper after all.

What I find more annoying is that there are lots of potential controls in place without resorting to tariffs that could be used to control and increase the cost of imports that are used aggressively in other countries (like Germany for example, surprise surpise) but not here.

Offshoring has destroyed some employment

Inshoring has destroyed some employment (Bringing immigrants in to do jobs our dolies should be made to do)

banks have eaten all the money and sh*t it out as toxic debt.

Welcome to Britain 2011. Which one of 200 languages would you like your benefits claim form in?

Not here to take the thread in a different direction and it is only my opinion but our old favourite the NMW (national minimum wage) has to have had a large part to play here.

Economic inactivity has been rocketing for years as employers speak with their hiring record who they think is minimum wage and how how corporations won't pay NMW even for native English speakers (well, lots of Indians are 1st language English these days to be fair).

This is the key for me. Basically most of the importing is done by American corporates. They have simply reduced their costs...not competed with another country's skills and innovations.

Okay whilst they are able to increase private and public sector debts but the whole thing comes to a grinding halt eventually.

If China becomes more expensive, the corporates will not move back home - they will move to the next cheapest workshop. A company will always look to its own narrow considerations. It has to. It (unlike Ford) will not think about the broader effects on consumer demand by their policies. The only way this ends is when America is brought down to being cheap and desperate enough to bring those businesses back home.

And before someone mentions Germany - there is simply not enough of the type of work that Germany does that will allow all countries to become mini Germanies. It's just not feasible.

After China though, the list of countries with a large relatively well-educated (as in literate) potential workforce, cheap wages and social security (for want of a better word - i.e. not despotic regimes) is not very big.

Germany is not just about making high-value goods either. They also spread the profits more evenly between workers and management. Take away the gouging of money through bonuses, stock options, debt financed deals (private equity) etc. and many UK companies would be similarly viable. If they weren't already bought by a foreign competitor anyway.

After China though, the list of countries with a large relatively well-educated (as in literate) potential workforce, cheap wages and social security (for want of a better word - i.e. not despotic regimes) is not very big.

Germany is not just about making high-value goods either. They also spread the profits more evenly between workers and management. Take away the gouging of money through bonuses, stock options, debt financed deals (private equity) etc. and many UK companies would be similarly viable. If they weren't already bought by a foreign competitor anyway.

Which means war then, as all home labour and production is utilised to make weapons.

Welcome to Britain 2011. Which one of 200 languages would you like your benefits claim form in?

There's a T-Shirt or bumper sticker in there somewhere.

http://www.informati...rticle28212.htm

I used to read a lot of http://www.counterpunch.org/ at the time for similar reasons. Still bitter, but less concerned now that I don't bother... ;)

He contributes a lot on that site if you like his stuff.

http://www.informati...rticle28212.htm

Anyway , altho I dont follow Lew Rockwell these days , from time to time

I come across articles by PCR and he has consistently attacked

globalisation ... there was a thread on here

"Former Assistant Secretary Of The Us Treasury Dr. Paul Craig Roberts"

which I missed (just found it looking to see if this article had been mentioned)

http://www.housepric...howtopic=164111

(dated may 24 2011) this references a video and I prefer printed articles ,

and would even prefer just a transcript . So this may not say any more than

that thread . This references an article published by the CFR

"The Evolving Structure of the American Economy and the Employment Challenge"

and discusses that .

some lines from the PCR article :

"The two economists have taken a careful empirical look at jobs offshoring and concluded that it has ruined the income and employment prospects for most Americans."

it talks about free trade etc

"Daly makes the same point that I make, which is that the classic theory of free trade is based on comparative advantage, not on absolute advantage, and that offshoring is based on absolute advantage. Thus, offshoring is not free trade."

also about tradable and non tradable jobs .

It is an interesting piece , altho with no solutions offered .

cheers,

rockhopper

Precisely.

The WTO criminals have f*cked us all over with their Adam Smith perverted nonsense.

Capital controls - End of story.

Precisely.

The WTO criminals have f*cked us all over with their Adam Smith perverted nonsense.

Capital controls - End of story.

What capital?

To have capital you need stuff behind the currency and we already shipped it overseas!

It's like selling your bakery to someone you hate and then refusing to buy a loaf in protest. ******s sake!

Guest spp

Offshoring has destroyed some employment

Inshoring has destroyed some employment (Bringing immigrants in to do jobs our dolies should be made to do)

banks have eaten all the money and sh*t it out as toxic debt.

:ph34r:

There's a T-Shirt or bumper sticker in there somewhere.

I'd also recommend "Banks have eaten all our money and sh*t it out as toxic debt." from the same post!

How about "free trade relations and enabling technology with countries with a large, educated population have ruined our currently exponentionally more expensive economy" as the title to this thread?

Not the same ring to it, obviously.

House prices are a factor; when our workers' basic human right of a reasonable shelter cost significantly less, their output was internationally competitive. Basic family homes costing the equivalent of an Indian 1st class graduate's lifetime gross wage offers some opportunity for cost savings.

How about "free trade relations and enabling technology with countries with a large, educated population have ruined our currently exponentionally more expensive economy" as the title to this thread?

House prices are a factor; when our workers' basic human right of a reasonable shelter cost significantly less, their output was internationally competitive. Basic family homes costing the equivalent of an Indian 1st class graduate's lifetime gross wage offers some opportunity for cost savings.

I'm pretty sure that last bit is pure hyperbole. Mainly because a top-class Indian graduate could often get a job overseas in a western company and get paid accordingly. Even if they stay in India, if they are in one of the tech hotspots they will be able to (and do) move from job to job to increase pay etc. (this is assuming they really are top-notch and hence in much demand).

Excellent article thanks for posting

Don't know where people get this idea that Chinese tat is "cheap."

"Cheap" kettles and electricals that need replacing 10x more often than they used.

Branded items from iPads's and trainers made in suicide camps are not exactly a bargain.

Someone is pocketing a fortune and taking the mickey in one go!

Indeed - don't forget the government borrowing feeding the imbalance too. Without said credit, the imbalance could never have grown so large. It was short termism.

Excellent article thanks for posting

Don't know where people get this idea that Chinese tat is "cheap."

"Cheap" kettles and electricals that need replacing 10x more often than they used.

Branded items from iPads's and trainers made in suicide camps are not exactly a bargain.

Someone is pocketing a fortune and taking the mickey in one go!

The hidden faces and never mentioned Middle-Men is where Trillions are skimmed off - do some research into that and find out where say a peppercorn suddenly costs well over a thousand percent more than it was grown for - a yokel Indian farmer certainly doesn't get those sort of prices!

The EU give Billions in subsidies to massive, bent sugar companies in Europe who grow/produce at a loss then sell sugar onto the World markets below cost of production price to undercut farmer/producers in the 3rd World forcing them into starvation prices or out of business.

That's just one market sector where some vile elites cause world-wide misery by 'legalised' theft

what next? technology destroying the economy?

tractors hurting farmers.

machinery killing the coal industry.

jet washers destroying car and window cleaning industry.

new dyson vaccum cleaners, and mr muscle formula, means that chambermaids can do their jobs 20% faster - employment in chambermaid industry suffering by 20%.

the list could go on and on and on.

Edited by mfp123

new dyson vaccum cleaners, and mr muscle formula, means that chambermaids can do their jobs 20% faster - employment in chambermaid industry suffering by 20%.

It stops at the point where you run out of customers.

Off shoring is not a technology advance. Its just a way for the usual spivs to make a lot of money at the expense of society