House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DonnieDarker

Twisted Logic...an Old One But A Bugbear Of Mine.

How can the VI (retail sector in this case) sensible argue for lower interest rates?

The country is in huge debt so lets reduce interest rates so people can get in even more debt!?

Let's also reduce interest rates so those who have saved get less money from their savings and feel less inclined to spend?!

The argument about making mortgages cheaper is cr@p. 0.25% will make very little difference to people's mortgages.

The High Street should quit moaning and start knocking prices down if they want people to spend!

Edited by DonnieDarker

How can the VI (retail sector in this case) sensibly argue for lower interest rates?

The country is in huge debt so lets reduce interest rates so people can get in even more debt!?

I suppose the theory is that if interest rates are lower people will take on even more debt to keep the payments the same.

So why can't the retail sector apply their own recommendation and massively reduce the interest rate on store cards? :D

The High Street should quit moaning and start knocking prices down if they want people to spend!

Many people have been spending like mad for the past 5 years hence the £1.1 trillion of consumer debt.

Perhaps its time to base the economy on more solid foundations than consumer (and Govt.) spending (largely on borrowed money). If that leads to a contraction in the retail sector then so be it. I suspect half the stuff that gets bought is hardly used anyway and is the result of impulse buying by "shopaholics".

Edited by Waiting Patiently

Like 100%? Personally, I'm junked out. I'd refuse most stuff if it were free. :)

Durch. You are too Zen for your own good.

Had I had the 'ranch' I probably would have gone mad - Howard Hughes style - in a consumerist binge in the 80s.

Many people have been spending like mad for the past 5 years hence the £1.1 trillion of consumer debt.

Perhaps its time to base the economy on more solid foundations than consumer (and Govt.) spending (largely on borrowed money). If that leads to a contraction in the retail sector then so be it. I suspect half the stuff that gets bought is hardly used anyway and is the result of impulse buying by "shopaholics".

Surely the foundations of society depend upon the Sony PSP, PS3 and Apple Nano?

The argument about making mortgages cheaper is cr@p. 0.25% will make very little difference to people's mortgages.

They want more debt at lower servicing costs, they'd advocate 0% interest rates if they could, the problem is this is only putting off the day, all this debt will have to be repaid eventually and that's a huge drag on the economy, money that would have been spent in the shops is sent to the loan company instead.

For a literal demonstration I recommended drinking a bottle of vodka this evening, if things aren't so good simply put off the day and drink a bottle of whisky that way you can forget than you will have to pay for both in the morning.

Like 100%? Personally, I'm junked out. I'd refuse most stuff if it were free. :)

A man can never have too many pairs of suspenders! I bet the yanks loved your red suspenders :lol:

Too right. I recently reorganized all my furniture and things. I did try selling stuff on ebay and then car boot sales but the novelty soon wore off. Especially going to car boot sales and standing next to my car all day and only coming away with £30. In the end after re-storing boxes and boxes of stuff I could stand it no longer and took it all to local charity shops and anything they didn't want went to the tip. It feels so good to junk years and years of crap. It makes you realize that the money spent on consumerist junk is a complete waste. I now value the empty space and the freedom from clutter more than the stuff itself. I agree with you completey in that most stuff I see when I do ever go into town they would have to pay me to take it away. Odd isn't it. Maybe it's age related?

Too right. I recently reorganized all my furniture and things. I did try selling stuff on ebay and then car boot sales but the novelty soon wore off. Especially going to car boot sales and standing next to my car all day and only coming away with £30. In the end after re-storing boxes and boxes of stuff I could stand it no longer and took it all to local charity shops and anything they didn't want went to the tip. It feels so good to junk years and years of crap. It makes you realize that the money spent on consumerist junk is a complete waste. I now value the empty space and the freedom from clutter more than the stuff itself. I agree with you completey in that most stuff I see when I do ever go into town they would have to pay me to take it away. Odd isn't it. Maybe it's age related?

Agreed, one of the most cathartic things about moving abroad was the chance to clear out all the accumulated cr*p or else have to pay to have it shipped. Obviously, one has to be a little careful around kids toys, but we brought in a rule that if it hasn't been played with for a year, out it goes.

I hate shopping and now buy very little apart from food, books, dvd's and the odd piece of sports equipment. The last thing I bought was a new mountain bike relegating my older one to become my commuting bike. Even the new bike was half price as it was a demo, that was the best part about it.

Books and dvd's (essential in a country where TV is cr*p) come from Amazon or the local book/dvd exchange shop.

There is definitely a liberating feeling knowing that I, and my family, are very well off and could afford many things that people desire (SUV, plasma TV etc) but still love a 2nd hand or slighltly-used bargain. Or indeed getting that liberation by just not buying at all.

"Hi, my name's Mick and I'm frugal"