House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

Lotus Adds To Unemployment Misery As Axe Falls

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Lotus-Cars-To-Axe-99-Staff-At-skynews-2493809866.html?x=0

Lotus Cars To Axe 99 Staff At HQ
Sports car firm Lotus is shedding almost 100 staff at its Norfolk headquarters, it has confirmed.
The firm is making up to 99 back-office employees redundant at its base in Hethel in Norfolk, where it has around 1,200 staff.
Lotus chief executive Dany Bahar has issued a memo to affected staff in which he states there is "a need to reduce headcount in a number of areas of the business."

99 people working in the back office seems rather a lot when you consider Ford only have 234 back office workers globally. :(

Ford only have 234 back office workers globally. :(

I can't believe that. Ford Europe alone has 44,500 or so employees, I'm sure more than 234 of them are "back office" staff.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/Lotus-Cars-To-Axe-99-Staff-At-skynews-2493809866.html?x=0

Sports car firm Lotus is shedding almost 100 staff at its Norfolk headquarters, it has confirmed.
The firm is making up to 99 back-office employees redundant at its base in Hethel in Norfolk, where it has around 1,200 staff.
Lotus chief executive Dany Bahar has issued a memo to affected staff in which he states there is "a need to reduce headcount in a number of areas of the business."

This story has a very involved history, RB, so I think it says little about the climate in general terms.

The 'Lotus Guy' . . . Dany Bahar . . . has based his entire business plan on loans and Government handouts. The business plan for Lotus cars looks shaky and unconvincing, to say the least.

He is already fleecing the Malaysian Government. The plan for Norfolk - and jobs there - was dependent upon regional aid. When it wasn't forthcoming, he axed jobs.

Lotus never had any intention to safeguard local jobs without taxpayer support.

And if I was in charge of distributing regional aid, I'd have denied him money too. His bizplan is bananas.

99 people working in the back office seems rather a lot when you consider Ford only have 234 back office workers globally. :(

There's a price to be paid for not putting a decent sized engine in the car.

I'm am truly surprised lotus is still in existence. How do they sell any cars the way things are? You have the war on motorists that has been going since time immemorial, you have a government that believes in global warming bullcrap, you have silly fuel prices, you have loads of people running about in uninsured unregistered cars playing banger racing, you have the bloody unions, you have inflation on imported consumables, you have people that move close to track day events complaining about noise, I can keep going and going.

When I was young the only car I dreamed about owning was a tvr, now their gone :( Wish lotus well for the future - if I could afford a lotus evora I'd buy one in a flash.

the car industry is a mirror of the housing one.

both pathetic if looking in at the human psyche.

There's a price to be paid for not putting a decent sized engine in the car.

The Lotus Elise doesn't need a V8.

It out accelerates everything except supercars already.

And costs like what.... £30k?

The Lotus Elise doesn't need a V8.

It out accelerates everything except supercars already.

And costs like what.... £30k?

A second hand 1990s CBR600 or a CBR1000 huricane again from the 1990s can be bought for less than £500 and can outperform ANY car under £250K much to their chagrin. I remember way way back when a smug guy tried to race me in something flash and pointy. I was riding a £120 piece of scrap at the time. He wasn't so smug when he ate my dust and it was only 400cc as well :D

A second hand 1990s CBR600 or a CBR1000 huricane again from the 1990s can be bought for less than £500 and can outperform ANY car under £250K much to their chagrin. I remember way way back when a smug guy tried to race me in something flash and pointy. I was riding a £120 piece of scrap at the time. He wasn't so smug when he ate my dust and it was only 400cc as well :D

You can't fall off a Lotus Elise.

Also, it has roof.

0-60 sub 4 seconds.

I always 'race' bikes away from traffic lights knowing full well ill get hammered , its more for my enjoyment when the biker bites than the crazy illusion I might have a chance of winning

Only today I've been getting job alerts for an automotive company in East Anglia, wonder who that could be?

I'm not exactly sure what they mean by 'Back room staff' though, hopefully its the malignant cancer that has spread through industry called the Human Resources department, A law unto themselves nowadays. (when I was an apprentice, the company of nearly 1000 employees had a personnel manager, a personnel officer and a secretary!)

Bahars business plan is that of all dreamers who buy into the industry, they're going to make £100,000+ cars and sell them all as fast as they can make them........... :lol: I've worked at a few places like that. Jensen and Spectre to name two.

You can't fall off a Lotus Elise.

Also, it has roof.

0-60 sub 4 seconds.

ZX9R (which is a 1998 bike)

0-60 mph: 2.84 sec

0-100 mph: 5.22 sec

0-150 mph: 10.00 sec

0-180 mph: 17.21 sec

100-150 mph: 4.78 sec

100-180 mph: 11.99 sec

Cost £900 for a good condition one, £500 for a beater. Add in £25 for a sprocket change and lean over the front as you accelate and you can get to 60 in less than 2 seconds at a cost of top end.

I always 'race' bikes away from traffic lights knowing full well ill get hammered , its more for my enjoyment when the biker bites than the crazy illusion I might have a chance of winning

:lol:

I do the same, often, rev up the engine, turn my baseball cap backwards and drop the clutch letting the engine stall..well, it amuses me.

Edited by Flatdog

ZX9R (which is a 1998 bike)

0-60 mph: 2.84 sec

0-100 mph: 5.22 sec

0-150 mph: 10.00 sec

0-180 mph: 17.21 sec

100-150 mph: 4.78 sec

100-180 mph: 11.99 sec

Cost £900 for a good condition one, £500 for a beater. Add in £25 for a sprocket change and lean over the front as you accelate and you can get to 60 in less than 2 seconds at a cost of top end.

You can still fall off it and it still doesn't have a roof.

Only today I've been getting job alerts for an automotive company in East Anglia, wonder who that could be?

I'm not exactly sure what they mean by 'Back room staff' though, hopefully its the malignant cancer that has spread through industry called the Human Resources department, A law unto themselves nowadays. (when I was an apprentice, the company of nearly 1000 employees had a personnel manager, a personnel officer and a secretary!)

Bahars business plan is that of all dreamers who buy into the industry, they're going to make £100,000+ cars and sell them all as fast as they can make them........... :lol: I've worked at a few places like that. Jensen and Spectre to name two.

If this firm exists soley on Government handout, I would bet my last dollar backroom consists of Diversity department, compliance officers, race liaison and Health and safety crew, so that they can prove to the lenders that they are indeed following Government policy to the letter.

This story has a very involved history, RB, so I think it says little about the climate in general terms.

The 'Lotus Guy' . . . Dany Bahar . . . has based his entire business plan on loans and Government handouts. The business plan for Lotus cars looks shaky and unconvincing, to say the least.

He is already fleecing the Malaysian Government. The plan for Norfolk - and jobs there - was dependent upon regional aid. When it wasn't forthcoming, he axed jobs.

Lotus never had any intention to safeguard local jobs without taxpayer support.

And if I was in charge of distributing regional aid, I'd have denied him money too. His bizplan is bananas.

I agree totally. the Bahar plan to turn Louts in a posh flash cars manufacturers, with a plethora of models which all looked the same (Audi anyone), priced way too high for the intrinsic quality was always going to go wrong.

Lotus was based on lightness, clever engineering and driving pleasure.

Not on the **** extensions showcased recently

I wouldn't buy a Lotus without a young Diana Rigg attached! :huh:

There is a reason I have not purchased one of these pre2000 bikes (my ideal is the old R1).

They mostly have been destroyed by nutters and you have no idea what you're paying for.

OK for a trackbasher bike but not really good if you want to have some (reliable) fun on the open roads.

Edit: And yes, with age, I am beginning to learn that not falling off and having a roof, aircon, boot and a radio is quite nice, really.

p.s. What is a definition of a back office worker anyway?

Edited by Cash with Nowhere to Go