House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Birmingham City Council Start "off Shoring Jobs"

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/x/Article/201106116004158?DCMP=News-search-sslc&lid=ARTICLE_16004158_x&lpos=searchresults

Unions are warning that thousands of public sector jobs could be at risk after Birmingham City Council became the first in the UK to transfer work overseas.

55 posts will be moved to Pune in India by the end of the summer, with consultation underway to transfer a further 45 by the end of the year. Service Birmingham, a joint venture between Birmingham City Council and Capita, is transferring the back office roles.

However it insists no posts dealing directly with the public will be effected. The company says 18 jobs being transferred are unfilled posts leaving 37 people facing redundancy. In total it’s thought 75 people will be made redundant when the process is completed. The Unite union is calling for an immediate halt to the move.

Unite's national officer Peter Allenson said: “It beggars belief that council workers will be forced to train workers from overseas to do their jobs."

He said: "This is a major betrayal of the people of Birmingham and the loyal staff who serve this city."

Another 55 people onto the dole/housing benefits pile. Total money actually saved? Nothing. Probably costs more over-all if you include the benefits payout.

Off-shoring government jobs only works if the people have other private sector jobs to go to.

The same applies to government redunancies in general. Any pay saving are lost in benfits payments.

The same applies to government retirements. Any pay saving are lost in benfits and pension payments.

NO WAY OUT.

Edited by RufflesTheGuineaPig

Another 55 people onto the dole/housing benefits pile. Total money actually saved? Nothing. Probably costs more over-all if you include the benefits payout.

I dunno, simply nixing their pensions will have saved us all a fortune.

Ha, Unite did the sq rt of f all when the exact same thing was done at my place of work.

One reason among many l cancelled my membership.

Never mind offshoring. Simply eliminate positions - starting with any job title including "diversity", "outreach", "minorities", "lesbian and gay", "...

Never mind offshoring. Simply eliminate positions - starting with any job title including "diversity", "outreach", "minorities", "lesbian and gay", "...

Exactly. 'How much of this stuff needs to be done at all?' is the question that ought to be asked.

Pretty daft to offshore local jobs, hardly the sort of thing that engenders a sense of civic pride, part of the reason for working for a council I would have thught, and the lever by which lower wages are offered. Now it's just another job on the subcontinent competing for 'the best people' with the telecoms etc etc.

When they retire, they still need to be housed, clothes and fed.

All the gov are doing is shuffling numbers between different debt piles. The problem hasn't gone away, it's just gone into someone elses pile.

It's a very corporate mentality.

All the gov are doing is shuffling numbers between different debt piles. The problem hasn't gone away, it's just gone into someone elses pile.

But should retired PS people be be housed, clothes and fed better than the people who pay for them?

I long for the day all jobs are off shored and we can all live a life of riley on benefits , I see no reason how this couldn't work

I long for the day all jobs are off shored and we can all live a life of riley on benefits , I see no reason how this couldn't work

Actually it can work. You just need to have "slaves" who aren't treated as equals.

Have african and eastern european migrants do all the jobs but make them live in government owned sheds paying 90% of their wages as rent.

Substitute "migrants" for "people" and "government" for "landlords" and you can see that it already works, and has done for centurys.

Balls to 'itl'll be cheaper'. There'll be work-fare in place by the end of this year.

They have to be housed + fed - OK shared house + porridge + beans.

Has a massive knock-on effect on economy ie none of their wages are spent back in UK to support local shops resturants pubs clubs cinema etc which reduces Govt tax income too.(Lost NI contributions?)

All this exercise is done for is for the semi-hidden NWO organisation Capita's benefit - not the UK populations benefit

Over £6 Billion a year was being saved and sent back by the canny Poles alone (ie money withdrawn each year from local economies & generally from the Blitish economy with no tax receipts back on that due to non-spending in UK shops) plus they buy clothing and bring back supplies from Poland cos it's even cheaper.

Edited by erranta

Off-shoring government jobs only works if the people have other private sector jobs to go to.

The same applies to government redunancies in general. Any pay saving are lost in benfits payments.

The same applies to government retirements. Any pay saving are lost in benfits and pension payments.

NO WAY OUT.

Yup, idiot proposal. indianwage+benefits+socialcosts>current wage.

However the social costs and most of the benefit costs are externalised, and not paid for by the outsourcing council. Thus for the UK as a whole its the above but for the council only its -

indianwage+somebenefitcosts<currentwage.

But the council is part of the government apparatus and thus (should) look out for the whole, rather that short-termist self-costs only. Of course with the cretins who run most things in the uk its obvious which way they will go....

Theres alot of knocking this on here but you should be careful what you wish for, you dont miss it until its gone, where we reside we have none of the above and i have to say the quality and breadth of public service is simply shocking (not to mention most documentation only comes in German/French and Italian). We had to make huge cultural adjustments moving here with everything public orientated working, being to budget and cost effective.

Anecdote: Recently it was the liluns bday and we organised a party and such like as you do, in hiring out a bouncy castle we were absolutely horrified to discover the lack of Bouncy castle coordinators meant that we had to organise supervision among the adults.

As i say be very careful what you wish for

Rights and wrongs aside and I'm in favour of low housing costs so that UK workers can compete but as things are it's a surprise they didn't think of doing this years ago.

If it's possible now it was possible then and it sounds like they've been protecting those jobs for years.

However the social costs and most of the benefit costs are externalised, and not paid for by the outsourcing council. Thus for the UK as a whole its the above but for the council only its -

indianwage+somebenefitcosts<currentwage.

Which reduces pressure to get rid of managers! Makes perfect sense if you think about it from a management perspective.

It's their IT that's being offshored hence it's going to India. Now that we've offshored virtually our entire manufacturing base and are now busy doing the same to our service sector it does beg the question how people are expected to make a living in the future. But hey what do you expect when ALL our politicians are in the pay of big business who simply want to maximise their profit margins.

It's their IT that's being offshored hence it's going to India. Now that we've offshored virtually our entire manufacturing base and are now busy doing the same to our service sector it does beg the question how people are expected to make a living in the future. But hey what do you expect when ALL our politicians are in the pay of big business who simply want to maximise their profit margins.

Taking into account the extra hours they get to do as they please, people on benefits are better off than those who work.

Therefore, we should be welcoming this opportunity to better everyone's quality of life by putting everyone on benefits.

Theres alot of knocking this on here but you should be careful what you wish for, you dont miss it until its gone, where we reside we have none of the above and i have to say the quality and breadth of public service is simply shocking (not to mention most documentation only comes in German/French and Italian). We had to make huge cultural adjustments moving here with everything public orientated working, being to budget and cost effective.

Anecdote: Recently it was the liluns bday and we organised a party and such like as you do, in hiring out a bouncy castle we were absolutely horrified to discover the lack of Bouncy castle coordinators meant that we had to organise supervision among the adults.

As i say be very careful what you wish for

:lol:

I think we should offshore Vince Cable. As he is such a big fan of it I'm sure there are many graduates of Bangalore University with years of Politics experience who could do just as good a job. Why stop with him, as we are embracing globalisation let's lead by example and offshore the MP's to India, they are only administrators after all.

But the council is part of the government apparatus and thus (should) look out for the whole, rather that short-termist self-costs only. Of course with the cretins who run most things in the uk its obvious which way they will go....

"Doesn't anyone thing to look at the bigger picture..."

"...I don't know Dave, that's not my department!"

We have an Indian businessman helping to form our economic policy

David Cameron has unveiled his panel of leading industry bosses who he says will help to shape the Government's economic policy.

The Prime Minister said the 19-person Business Advisory Group would meet every three months to "argue and debate".

He said the group, which follows a similar body which sought to advice Gordon Brown, offers a "real interchange with us about the priorities for growth, the priorities for the economy".

On Thursday he reported Indian businessman Ratan Tata and the boss of Sony, Sir Howard Stringer, were the latest names to join the group.

Mr Tata is the head of Tata Group, India's largest conglomerate which owns Jaguar, Land Rover and Tetley Tea.

Mr Cameron told a meeting of business leaders at Downing Street: "I want to be absolutely clear - this is very much a pro-business, pro-enterprise, pro-competition Government.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/David-Cameron-Unveils-Business-Advisory-Group-With-Ratan-Tata-Sir-Howard-Stringer-Justin-King/Article/201010115749514

Great idea to outsource our MP's. Perhaps we can do a deal with the Australians:

Animal House

So infantile has become the behaviour of politicians in the Australian parliament that onlookers could be forgiven for thinking they had stumbled across the recreation yard at a juvenile correctional facility.

Prime Minister's Question Time is a lowlight of the political week, according to some observers In the House of Representatives the normal protocols of decorum and maturity are regularly turned on their heads. Well-behaved schoolchildren bussed in to observe Australia's high temple of democracy peer down from the galleries in respectful silence while MPs holler and scream from the benches below.

The Senate, of course, is supposed to be more deliberative and grown-up. But this week in a hearing the Liberal Senator David Bushby meowed at the Finance Minister, Penny Wong (this just days after the Economist, in a scolding critique of Australian politics, singled out Ms Wong as one of the few parliamentarians deserving of praise).

Senator Bushby felt sufficiently embarrassed to issue an apology. But his colleague, Senator Mary Jo Fisher, seemed rather proud of her performance in the Senate a few months back, when she performed this version of the Hokey Cokey and The Timewarp.

Some call it the Punch and Judy of politics, but that seems almost slanderous, and especially unfair since the couple have no right of reply.

This week the British conservative blogger Iain Dale was in Australia, and arrived admitting to a sneaking admiration for the robust, adversarial style of the country's politics. "It is very combative," he told ABC's The World Today on Tuesday. "I mean probably more combative than virtually any other Western democracy and I quite like that, I like people to say what they think and Australian politicians by and large, certainly do that."

Then he sat through two Question Times. Afterwards, he told the BBC it was 'an absolutely shameful, horrific spectacle.'

At moments like this, I recall my first visit to Canberra. Over dinner at Parliament House, I found myself sat next to a Labor politician who could hardly contain his delight at being ejected from the chamber for haranguing the prime minister at the time, John Howard. Indeed, throughout dinner, admiring colleagues came up to congratulate him on his mischief. New to Australian politics, I came away thinking he must be a professional parliamentary troublemaker. Every party has one, after all. But a year later, he became the country's defence minister.

The hackneyed line is that a country gets the politics it deserves. But in Australia right now that cliche does not double as a truism. The Australians who I talk to are craving something better.

Membership of the major parties is in decline. At last year's federal election the number of people who voted "informal" - they spoiled their ballot, left it blank or filled it in erroneously - was historically high (at 5.65%, the highest figure in the past six federal elections).

The rise of the Australian Greens, who will soon hold the balance of power in the Senate, suggests Labor voters especially are shopping around for something different. Polls also regularly suggest that voters prefer former Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and former Liberal leader Malcolm Turnbull to Julia Gillard and the opposition leader Tony Abbott, who appear to bring out the worst in each other. Rudd and Turnbull were less combative, and even occasionally bipartisan (this bipartisanship on the Labor government's proposals for an emissions trading scheme cost Turnbull the leadership).

In an otherwise admiring report, The Economist this week noted: "Its current political leaders, with notable exceptions, are perhaps the least impressive feature of today's Australia."

I think we should offshore Vince Cable. As he is such a big fan of it I'm sure there are many graduates of Bangalore University with years of Politics experience who could do just as good a job. Why stop with him, as we are embracing globalisation let's lead by example and offshore the MP's to India, they are only administrators after all.