House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cinnamon

Catching Wasps/flies/hornets

Take a 2 litre pop bottle, cut the top 1/3rd off and stick that as a funnel onto the tube of your hoover, for easy pickup.

Happy hunting!

Unless they are a being a nuisance, leave them. They'll eat up all the spiders and other annoying bugs around your house.

Of course, it depends on the type of flying bug. They mostly become a pain when their primary food sources have gone, around autumn.

Unless they are a being a nuisance, leave them. They'll eat up all the spiders and other annoying bugs around your house.

Of course, it depends on the type of flying bug. They mostly become a pain when their primary food sources have gone, around autumn.

errr... no thank you

Take a 2 litre pop bottle, cut the top 1/3rd off and stick that as a funnel onto the tube of your hoover, for easy pickup.

Happy hunting!

I got a device from Ebay. It's a short tube with a suction fan at the base. Looks like a toy lightsabre actually. You suck em up, and then hurl them out the window.

Humane (no mess!) and effective ;)

errr... no thank you

I got a device from Ebay. It's a short tube with a suction fan at the base. Looks like a toy lightsabre actually. You suck em up, and then hurl them out the window.

Humane (no mess!) and effective ;)

I had one of them, cost me a tenner and it died some time ago, plus, the hoover reaches trivially up to the ceiling (and it's free).

It's not always a good move to release -- a bee that found an open honey jar (or other sugar source it likes) will come back with friends, and a wasp in autumn has been kicked out of the nest and is doomed anyway and will just return to be a nuisance. Also, I once got stung into my cheek by the last wasp of the year that decided to die on my pillow in the early morning hours... so I've a bit of a non-tolerance policy towards them nowadays.

Going to test the device on those fat, evil mossies tonight, wish me hunter's luck =)

I find this technique works well for me.

Take a newspaper, and take of the top sheet. Lie it on the floor/window sill where the beast is.

Roll up the remaining newspaper and gently hit the beast with it. It will drop stunned onto the top sheet. When it does that, hit it with the rolled up paper as hard as possible.

Take the top sheet off the rolled up paper and put it in the bin, along with the remains.

Remaining paper can continue to be read/put in the recycling.

I had one of them, cost me a tenner and it died some time ago, plus, the hoover reaches trivially up to the ceiling (and it's free).

yes, but by the time you'e got the hoover set up, the little bugger will have flown out the window already. And where's the fun in that??

wasps are flickable, when they land go up behind them and flick them with your flinger nail to knock them out, pick em up on a piece of paper and chuck em out of the window. Only works with wasps, flys are too fast. For some reason wasps dont notice you coming up behind them. Its good because of zero setup time, and its very effective.

I spray them with aerosol furniture polish (Pledge or similar), makes them unable to fly

Well here's a handy tip for you, taking your method a logical step further.

When you're aimed and ready to fire, whip out a lighter and hold the flame 1cm in front of the can nozzle. Now press down hard.

Enjoy the fun as you watch that sucker crash and burn.

100% effective. Every time. I call it the "exterminating for complete aerosols" method.

PS-watch out for those flammable curtains!

Well here's a handy tip for you, taking your method a logical step further.

When you're aimed and ready to fire, whip out a lighter and hold the flame 1cm in front of the can nozzle. Now press down hard.

Enjoy the fun as you watch that sucker crash and burn.

100% effective. Every time. I call it the "exterminating for complete aerosols" method.

PS-watch out for those flammable curtains!

Would that work with furniture polish? WD 40 would be the better option.