House Price Crash Forum

April Mortgage A P P R O V A L S Hit Record All-Time Low

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8551029/UK-mortgage-approvals-hit-record-low-in-April.html

UK mortgage approvals hit record low in April
Mortgage approvals fell in April to their lowest level for the month since records began in 1993, amid warnings sliding house prices are likely to start hurting the country's biggest banks within months.

This is bad, really bad.

Or good, depending on where you are.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442

From the article

The biggest rise in credit card borrowing in 14 months - an increase of £347m - may have been tied to people hitting the shops over the month's run of bank holidays.

Nah. It because the Great British public have run out of money.

HOLA443
Mortgage approvals fell in April to their lowest level for the month since records began in 1993, amid warnings sliding house prices are likely to start hurting the country's biggest banks within months.

That can't be correct.

BBC Business presenter Simon Jack (the one who looks like Clark Kent) said only this morning on BBC News that the housing market was improving slightly :rolleyes:.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Talking to an EA yesterday about a property, the first thing he asked, almost blurting it out, was "are you in a position to proceed?".

The relief in his voice when I said funding was no problem was palpable.

HOLA448

Talking to an EA yesterday about a property, the first thing he asked, almost blurting it out, was "are you in a position to proceed?".

Gosh, what reply did he expect? Would anyone say anything different?

HOLA449

What happened to house prices will rise 16%, or is everyone gonna pay cash :unsure:

I think the article suggested that prices would fall a little this year then rise by 4% per year for the next 4 years ....... subtlety suggesting to BUY NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE BUY NOW

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'm in the same position, and wish to buy a house! Estate agents love me, but I'm not seeing anything on their books that I like, for the right money. :huh:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

They'll blame it on cucumber panic next....

Actually I'm looking for a house with a lounge big enough to get a cucumber in! :blink:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

You will, be patient :).

So frustrating Bruce! I have a healthy deposit, and can get finance, but I really think the prices are still 15% too high, and that money takes a long time to save, and an even longer time to pay back! :huh::huh:

HOLA4418

So frustrating Bruce! I have a healthy deposit, and can get finance, but I really think the prices are still 15% too high, and that money takes a long time to save, and an even longer time to pay back! :huh::huh:

I'd say they're 30% or 40% too high. Why not go house hunting for a nice rental, negotiate a two year contract on favourable terms and sit back and watch the market implode.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I'll be a FTB when I buy a house, with a good deposit.

I'm worried about going into EAs for fear that they might try and bite my hands off! :lol:

Well maybe if the EA is a fit birdie - you could ask for a gummy to be thrown in as a 'special' offer ?

I know - degrading and all and whatever. However they are estate agents. So seems reasonable to me. :D

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I'd say they're 30% or 40% too high. Why not go house hunting for a nice rental, negotiate a two year contract on favourable terms and sit back and watch the market implode.

I'm in a tidy rented bungalow Mr Bruce! I sold up in 2007 when I thought prices could get no higher! They didn't!

Not sure I share your optimism!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I am a 100% cash buyer and I can assure you that estate agents are not biting my hand off by any stretch of the imagination. As I live abroad I have even been offering a year of *free rent* to the vendors so they can find their next house in their own time-frame. My offers have been in the region of 85% asking price and I'm being virtually ignored.

On the flip side, I seem to have my pick of new builds. Only problem is, I don't want any of the ones on offer.