House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Britain Gloomiest Nation And Wracked With Pessimism

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8550952/Britons-economic-gloom-among-worst-in-world.html

Britons' economic gloom among worst in world
Britain is among the world's gloomiest nations, with just one in ten people rating the economy as 'good', according to a new poll.../
Bobby Duffy, managing director of Ipsos MORI which carried out the survey, said British gloom was understandable: "
House prices are absurd
and the cost of living is increasing rapidly in comparison to earnings. There is rightly a lot of pessimism out there, which will have an impact on growth."

Meldrew's syndrome is everywhere IMO. This country needs some serious self-examination and a 180 degree change in direction. We have a government (s) that no longer represents the aspirations of the people and a power elite that is making a mockery of austerity with ever increasing bonuses and ostentatious wealth.

Its time for change in the sense of change.

Edited by Realistbear

I blame anyone with more than 10'000 posts on here.

Seriously, when the political and media discourse is dominated by self-and-nation-hating lefties, is there any wonder we feel down?

A bit of ribald honesty returning to everyday conversation would not go amiss.

I blame anyone with more than 10'000 posts on here.

Seriously, when the political and media discourse is dominated by self-and-nation-hating lefties, is there any wonder we feel down?

A bit of ribald honesty returning to everyday conversation would not go amiss.

+1.75

This is nonsense, how can we possibly be a nation of pessimists when the vast majority believe houses only ever go up?

I'll believe in this pessimism when capitulation kicks in...

Britain is among the world's gloomiest nations, with just one in ten people rating the economy as 'good', according to a new poll.../

But then you read on

citizens of bail-out recipients Ireland, Greece and Portugal were not polled.

Oh right, so if you leave out the countries in REAL trouble, Britain seems bad! :blink::lol:

Yes house prices are too high, but as I walk from my rented house to work (renting just up the road) through glorious sunshine again, the UK doesn't seem all bad.

This is nonsense, how can we possibly be a nation of pessimists when the vast majority believe houses only ever go up?

I'll believe in this pessimism when capitulation kicks in...

I think the worm may have turned and the vast majority of people no longer see HPI as a positive. Even those who have enriched themselves with it must know by now that HPI was the biggest factor behind the collapse of the economies where HPI was rampant.

The Mirror is possibly the only source of positive spin for HPI that continues on--in the sense that they actually believe what they are writing. The BBC etc. may ramp HPI but I do not think they really believe it is a positive anymore.

Edited by Realistbear

Britain Gloomiest Nation And Wracked With Pessimism

GOOD. Muahaha- someone elses misery is another's joy!

Seek your own opportunities in life. A house won't boil when watched or something like that...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8551443/Worlds-top-five-happiest-economies.html?image=1

World's top five happiest economies:

5) Australia

Satisfied with the economy: 70pc

4) China

Satisfied with the economy: 75pc

3) India

Satisfied with the economy: 76pc

2) Sweden

Satisfied with the economy: 78pc

1) Saudi Arabia

Satisfied with the economy: 87pc

Nuff said.

+1.75

Is that the prescription for your monocle? :blink:

Is that the prescription for your monocle? :blink:

No, its inflation. We used to be satisfied with a +1 when we agreed with a post and now it seems to have gone up to 1.75.

Lets hope we get back below 1.25, at the least, soon. :(

I would have thought that the British public were very happy, as most got on the property ladder just in time............. :blink:

Long live "House prices only ever go up"......... :lol:

Edited by Wait & See

Meldrew's syndrome is everywhere IMO. This country needs some serious self-examination and a 180 degree change in direction. We have a government (s) that no longer represents the aspirations of the people and a power elite that is making a mockery of austerity with ever increasing bonuses and ostentatious wealth.

VOTE REALISTBEAR, VOTE FOR CHANGE!

No, its inflation. We used to be satisfied with a +1 when we agreed with a post and now it seems to have gone up to 1.75.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think there are a number of factors.

1. Money, the cost just to live in the UK (legally) is very high now, and some would say always has been, when you look at Council tax, the price of food etc, generally our costs seem higher, this is partly due to selling utilities to commercial companies especially foreign companies who just want to please shareholders, we have followed the American model of anyone can buy anything, some countries still have these under state control or just legislate so costs can't become whatever the CEO of the supplying company feels like, trains are a prime example the UK's fares must be among the most expensive in the world.

2. Since the two World wars Britain has always been pushed economically, I remember watching "The Rock and Roll Years" series and it hit's you that you could splice the news of the past 50 years together with the news of today and no one would notice much. Remember the Carry on Films and some of the lines eg "It's alright dear the British are used to cuts!", and that was from the 60's

3. British management, not just with the people at the top but generally management in the UK in particular is simply appalling compared with the rest of the World, over the last few years I've worked for Americans and a number of different European managers (including Italians and Portuguese) and the thing that marks them out is they treat you entirely as an equal, and they know the area involved in detail and work proactively with you to get things done which is as it should be. May be the size of the companies I've worked for, or I have just been lucky, but then again I've worked for many large UK companies where British mangers think they need to keep a barrier between you and frequently their business knowledge is appallingly bad. I have seen more projects ruined by clueless management in the UK than anything else.

4. The class system. When I was younger I thought this had disappeared in the 60's however this quickly disappeared when I worked for a UK bank where many of the staff had come from schools like Eaton and other public schools (This was in the 90's before you ask!). I think there is a certain strand of elitism which runs through UK society which places you from birth (Ridiculed in the Fawlty Towers sketch with the Con Man pretending to be a Lord), I once worked with someone who had a title (otherwise behaved normally) who when we had trouble with an order would ring up a supplier and say in a superior sounding voice "this is Lord xxxxx, I just wanted to check on the progress of my order", which invariably produced fawning "Yes your Lordship it'll be with you immediately" type responses.

The old John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Corbett class sketch is still very relevant, and permeates British society still. One thing that always amuses me in particular of this attitude in Government, letters from the HMRC in the UK invariably contain a warning that they will come round and kick you're door in and take what they want if you don't pay them, and all Government forms seem to contain the warning that making a false declaration leaves you liable for punishment up to hanging drawing and quartering, I just don't to see this elsewhere, we are still very much treated as serfs in the minds of the people that rule us.

5. Working conditions. The British work longer hours than many in Europe as standard, mainly due to our Government and businesses admiration of all things American, since moving to Europe I've never had so many days off (I'm off today) and companies are largely empty by 5:00 (Even in mighty economic powerhouse Germany), added to that in UK commuting is horrendous particularly if you work in London, I've spent large parts of my adult life on dingy trains between London and where I can afford to live, paying large amounts of my wages in fares (in the Low countries travel costs are largely paid for by your company or they provide a car, if your company doesn't do this like mine you can claim cost of travel back in your end of year tax return). Add to this the dingy "hasn't been redecorated in 30 years" appearance of the average UK office and I think you have another reason people get fed up.

Edited by madpenguin

I think there are a number of factors.

1. Money, the cost just to live in the UK (legally) is very high now, and some would say always has been, when you look at Council tax, the price of food etc, generally our costs seem higher, this is partly due to selling utilities to commercial companies especially foreign companies who just want to please shareholders, we have followed the American model of anyone can buy anything, some countries still have these under state control or just legislate so costs can't become whatever the CEO of the supplying company feels like, trains are a prime example the UK's fares must be among the most expensive in the world.

2. Since the two World wars Britain has always been pushed economically, I remember watching "The Rock and Roll Years" series and it hit's you that you could splice the news of the past 50 years together with the news of today and no one would notice much. Remember the Carry on Films and some of the lines in their eg "It's alright dear the British are used to cuts!", and that was from the 60's

3. British management, not just with the people at the top but generally, management in the UK in particular is simply appalling compared with the rest of the World, over the last few years I've worked for Americans and a number of different European managers (including Italians and Portuguese) and the thing that marks them out is they treat you entirely as an equal, and they know the area involved in detail and work proactively with you to get things done which is as it should be. May be the size of the companies I've worked for but then again I've worked for many large UK companies where British mangers think they need to keep a barrier between you and frequently their business knowledge is appallingly bad. I have seen more projects ruined by clueless management in the UK than anything else.

4. The class system. When I was younger I thought this had disappeared in the 60's however this quickly disappeared when I worked for a UK bank where many of the staff had come from schools like Eaton and other public schools (This was in the 90's before you ask!). I think there is a certain strand of elitism which runs through UK society which places you from birth (Ridiculed in the Fawlty Towers sketch with the Con Man pretending to be a Lord), I once worked with someone who had a title (otherwise behaved normally) who when we had trouble with an order would ring up a supplier and say in a superior sounding voice "this is Lord xxxxx, I just wanted to check on the progress of my order", which invariably produced fawning "Yes your Lordship it'll be with you immediately" type responses.

The old John Cleese, Ronnie Barker and Corbett class sketch is still very relevant, and permeates British society still. One thing that always amuses me in particular of this attitude in Government, letters from the HMRC in the UK invariably contain a warning that they will come round and kick you're door in and take what they want if you don't pay them, and all Government forms seem to contain the warning that making a false declaration leaves you liable for punishment up to hanging drawing and quartering, I just don't to see this elsewhere, we are still very much treated as serfs in the minds of the people that rule us.

5. Working conditions. The British work longer hours than many in Europe as standard, mainly due to our Government and businesses admiration of all things American, since moving to Europe I've never had so many days off (I'm off today) and companies are largely empty by 5:00 (Even in mighty economic powerhouse Germany), added to that in UK commuting is horrendous particularly if you work in London, I've spent large parts of my adult life on dingy trains between London and where I can afford to live paying large amounts of my wages in fares (in the Low countries travel costs are largely paid for by your company or they provide a car, if your company doesn't do this like mine you can claim cost of travel back in your end of year tax return). Add to this the dingy "hasn't been redecorated in 30 years" appearance of the average UK office and I think you have another reason people get fed up.

Summed us beautifully. One of the best posts I have seen in a long time. Spot on.

We do try to emulate America but we overlook the fact that the majority of European immigration to the States was German. It was from Germany that most European migrants came from. The Americans are a Germanic "can-do" nation. Their level of customer service is first rate. They still have the Protestant work ethic going and they believe in unity and do not know what multiculturalism is. "Class" is there but it is based on success and not biology.

Edited by Realistbear

I'd say the problem with the attitude of British management and politicians is that they are quintessential amateurs, there seems to be a sort of unspoken attitude that being efficient and professional is some dirty foreign thing.

I once worked for a large American Bank in the UK on an important project reporting directly to the American CEO, where they posted the qualifications of the directors in charge, the 2 Americans both had MBA's from Harvard, the British director had a degree in sociology from a minor UK university

How many of our politicians have education which fit's them to the Ministries they manage?, many people criticize Mervyn King but at least he trained as an economist.

You could say they have advisors to help with the technicalities, but if so why not put the advisor in charge?

Edited by madpenguin

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8550952/Britons-economic-gloom-among-worst-in-world.html

Britons' economic gloom among worst in world
Bobby Duffy, managing director of Ipsos MORI which carried out the survey, said British gloom was understandable: "
House prices are absurd
and the cost of living is increasing rapidly in comparison to earnings. There is rightly a lot of pessimism out there, which will have an impact on growth."

Every silver lining has a cloud!

Edited by Shotoflight

"Britain is among the world's gloomiest nations, with just one in ten people rating the economy as 'good', according to a new poll."

Wrong interpreation. The survey simply reveals 10% of the population are stupid or mad.

Love Britain, hate most of the people in it and what they do to it. Most of them either seem to be greedy back-stabbing thieves or lazy scroungers. Is there another country where stupidity is worshipped so highly and any attempt at taking an interest in anything is ridiculed?

+ 0.63

Hey, deflation really has kicked in!

generally management in the UK in particular is simply appalling compared with the rest of the World, over the last few years I've worked for Americans and a number of different European managers (including Italians and Portuguese) and the thing that marks them out is they treat you entirely as an equal, and they know the area involved in detail and work proactively with you to get things done which is as it should be.

The British work longer hours than many in Europe as standard, mainly due to our Government and businesses admiration of all things American

OK so is the American way good or bad then? Or are you saying the UK is bad compared to a cherry-picked comparison of the best of all other countries??

I think what is shows is that the UK has faults - but so does everywhere else...

OK so is the American way good or bad then? Or are you saying the UK is bad compared to a cherry-picked comparison of the best of all other countries??

I think what is shows is that the UK has faults - but so does everywhere else...

In the sense that generalisations are a bad thing you are correct, I guess I should have put "In my experience" somewhere in there, along with "developed 1st world countries", and in answer to your question the Americans I've worked for have been very good.

Bearing in mind Dilbert is an American cartoon maybe it is a universal thing and it's just the novelty of working somewhere new, but I don't think thats the whole story

I can think of very few manager's I've worked for in 34 years in the UK who treat you as an equal, have good experience and knowledge of the field you are in and don't spend excessive time holding meetings or devising documents which make no sense and are full of jargon, but then again maybe I've been unlucky, but I've been unlucky in a wide range of UK corporates (I was a contractor for nearly 20 years and got to work for a wide range of large UK companies in that period). Since working abroad I've also had managers give me documents from our UK offices asking me if I can see what they are getting at, in both cases they were filled with jargon and waffle and told you very little whereas the Americans and the Europeans I've met seem to get straight to the point.

Do you think the way our management and companies operate they are world class?, our exports excluding BAE suggest otherwise

We can laugh at shows like "Fawlty Towers" and "the Office" but sadly they contain a strong current of truth

I have travelled across 3 European countries before with no problem, arrived at Victoria and ....the trains aren't running, or they have ticket machine failures and the queue stretches around the station, no attempt to bring in guys with hand held machines, don't care and clueless

Edited by madpenguin

Love Britain, hate most of the people in it and what they do to it. Most of them either seem to be greedy back-stabbing thieves or lazy scroungers. Is there another country where stupidity is worshipped so highly and any attempt at taking an interest in anything is ridiculed?

I was speaking to a guy (husband of my misses friend) the other day who bought his council house for 26k many years ago and its now worth 385k so he tells me.

I dont know what he does for a living but its some menial work at the council, the guy was harmless but not very bright.

However for me to get what he has i could either work all the hours god sends aswell as getting my partner to do the same and even then i couldnt afford his council house.

The alternative is to go on the sick or get a minimum wage part time job get myself on the council list and hey presto in a few years ive got a 385k council house.

IMHO the latter option is the intelligent one, and wouldnt make one a lazy scrounger ... its just doing what is necessary to survive.

PS Im leaving the country in 4 months so im not playing the system but good luck to anyone who does!

I was speaking to a guy (husband of my misses friend) the other day who bought his council house for 26k many years ago and its now worth 385k so he tells me.

I dont know what he does for a living but its some menial work at the council, the guy was harmless but not very bright.

However for me to get what he has i could either work all the hours god sends aswell as getting my partner to do the same and even then i couldnt afford his council house.

The alternative is to go on the sick or get a minimum wage part time job get myself on the council list and hey presto in a few years ive got a 385k council house.

IMHO the latter option is the intelligent one, and wouldnt make one a lazy scrounger ... its just doing what is necessary to survive.

PS Im leaving the country in 4 months so im not playing the system but good luck to anyone who does!

I don't think people in the UK are fundementally any different from anywhere else I just think the high cost base in the UK means that people either play the house price rise/MEW/BTL game (if they were lucky and bought when it was still affordable) or go on benefits, or both :D

The middle way is to work honestly, claim no benefits, and pay ludicrous bills whilst working long hours, getting rare pay rises or bonuses every few years and getting no thanks for it. Companies and Governments have got used to getting away with charging high prices/taxes because those with property could just get the money via credit and those without don't have to pay anyway or just go bankrupt

Edited by madpenguin