House Price Crash Forum
Bruce Banner

How Long Is Your Rental Contract.

I've been in my current flat for coming up to eleven years. The pattern seems to be a one-year AST, then 2-3 years on rolling periodic, then the rent goes up more or less in line with inflation at which point I get another one-year AST to sign, that lapses after a year, rinse and repeat.

Mine's up for renewal soon, and I have been on a sweet deal for two years.

If they jack up a lot do I have any recourse?

Leave?

None of the above. It's been a rolling periodic tenancy since the initial six months AST expired.

+1

Plus I had to sign a sword of Damocles (section 21) so technically I have no tenancy rights at all despite having lived here for 4 years.

Edited by libspero

Periodic tenancy, happy to be able to give one months notice or be served two.

A friend of mine had been renting for 5 years kept getting a renewal notice every 6 months, paid the estate agent commission and stayed for another 6 months...never ever had heard of a periodic tenancy after the AST. He's switch to periodic now, if nothing else, it saves the estate agent fees. Also, he's not had a rent incrrease in 5 years :lol:

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

POLL IS BROKEN - question should be:

"How much notice from TODAY are you legally entitled to if your landlord wants you to leave"

Rolling after inital 6 month AST, now coming up to 4 years of tenancy.

Great landlord but hit and miss letting agents.

Negotiated 125 quid off when we first moved in, and only gone up 25 quid since then.

I am sure the Landlord could get more, but why would they risk it for the potential of voids and dodgy tenants.

Hope you realise that whatever the result, you best buddy from the other thread will just say your sample of renters is not representative of the norm ;)

I think tallguy had a very valid point. Brucie is clearly not representative of the country at large.

Last tenancy ended after a year as plastic landlords needed to sell up. Current tenancy is not likley to go very far beyond the initial 12 months as the house is not great but ****** it its cheap and renting is all about flexibility, after all.

I think tallguy had a very valid point. Brucie is clearly not representative of the country at large.

Last tenancy ended after a year as plastic landlords needed to sell up. Current tenancy is not likley to go very far beyond the initial 12 months as the house is not great but ****** it its cheap and renting is all about flexibility, after all.

Perhaps so, but it does not seem that "the vast majority" on this forum are on six month contracts. I might have taken him more seriously if he wasn't such a patronising prat.

I am renting from friends, month to month--really nice annexe in a big house for the statutory maximum rent before the landlord has to declare it for tax purposes. Very sweet deal.

Waiting to exchange on a house in the full realisation that the market has another 20% to drop on top of the 20% drop I have seen so far.

Tired of waiting but I do feel the desperation in the marketplace is manifesting itself--today's news confirms it (banks cover up in relation to arrears, builders subsidizing buyers etc).

My 1 yr AST ran out several years ago and LL did nothing and I guess I'm statutory periodic now. He's a do nothing type of LL with a small BTL portfolio. No rent rises for at least 10 years. He bought the house for £400K and it's now worth £350K tops. It's in very poor nick and I doubt he'd get a new tenant if I left without spending £50K on refurbs, which he hasn't got.

Nice chap, between a rock and a hard place. :(

Perhaps so, but it does not seem that "the vast majority" on this forum are on six month contracts. I might have taken him more seriously if he wasn't such a patronising prat.

I assume renters are as a group no more savvy than homeowners. If you rent under an agency, pressure to renew and stick to a series of fixed ASTs is a given for fee churn if nothing else. Many will go along with it, not unlike mortgage churn fee generation for OOs.

For my family's sake I wouldn't take less than a year at the moment. We tried asking for longer on nicer houses in the area but only succeeded in flushing out the plastic landlords in the market. Not willing to commit in case of a better offer or they wanted to sell but were being greedy.

None of the above. It's been a rolling periodic tenancy since the initial six months AST expired.

Legally all ASTs are rolling following the expiry of the initial period. Landlords and agencies insistince that you renew at the end of the initial period is a scam to raise money. The only advantage in renewing is that it increases the notice period back up to six months.