House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtomsilver

Refreshed Imac 21.5, Should I?

I've been without a computer for a few months now and have seen that the Apple iMac has had quite a significant hardware update.

As an iCore3 it seemed pretty poor value for the base model at £1k now they have slotted in a i5 i'm keen. Is there any reason why I shouldn't. The competitors (PC) are looking expensive in comparison no?

Quad core 2400M 2.5ghz

I've always found Macs absurdly slow compared to a similarly priced PC. Considering the stranglehold Apple have on hardware design this is p*ss poor.

I remember demonstrating to my then boss that my 486SX 25Mhz could run the same Photoshop filter on an identical image in half the time of his Mac (Quadra I think), which at the time was going for about twice the price. The Mac also had more RAM.

The dismay and denial was amusing to witness.

Performance wise, iMacs seem pretty good. Shame about the price though.

Just bought a Macbook Pro myself and I have to say, I'm very impressed. Been a PC user all my life, so this is quite a departure. Looks like a good decision so far though.

I've always found Macs absurdly slow compared to a similarly priced PC. Considering the stranglehold Apple have on hardware design this is p*ss poor.

They certainly were when I used to use them at work (System 7 days). No separate graphics card, no separate sound card, poor memory management etc. which meant that the poor processor had to do an awful lot more work than the equivalent PC.

Build quality was a bit variable as well. I had one of the first G3 Macs (the last of the beige Macs) and if you took the lid off to fit more RAM, it never fitted back on properly ever again. The four G3's we had at work were the same.

And there was some crappy piece of "monkey metal" in front of the CD drive that we could never quite figure out what it was for. When one day we couldn't fit the lid on one machine with it in place, we binned it. Never seemed to make any difference.

The subsequent translucent tower cases were far better IMO, built like a rock.