House Price Crash Forum

Fatty Tellytubby Lardeks "given A Rest"

'Bart'

HOLA441

The Daleks are to be rested after appearing about five times more often since they were "totally wiped out" and "time locked" than they ever did before.

"They have been defeated by the Doctor about 400 times. Surely they see the Tardis approaching, say, 'Oh. It's him again' - and trudge away."

Executive producer Moffat told Radio Times the Doctor, played by Matt Smith, was unlikely to battle the Daleks any time soon. He added: "They aren't going to make an appearance for a while. We thought it was about time to give them a rest."

LINK

Personally I think it's a good idea, especially after the godawful Power Rangers redesign, although I suspect many a BBC accountant and toy manufacture will disagree with me.

(Having seen the new-look Daleks in action I can confirm that they look ever fatter in real life than on TV.)

HOLA442

The Daleks are to be rested after appearing about five times more often since they were "totally wiped out" and "time locked" than they ever did before.

LINK

Personally I think it's a good idea, especially after the godawful Power Rangers redesign, although I suspect many a BBC accountant and toy manufacture will disagree with me.

(Having seen the new-look Daleks in action I can confirm that they look ever fatter in real life than on TV.)

Thank goodness for that, and I think the last good Dalek story, was Dalek Master Plan, or perhaps Genises. Having said that Remembrance of the Daleks wasn't too bad even though it was a McCoy adventure.

Perhaps the BBC hasn't been able to conclude a licencing deal with the Terry Nation estate?

HOLA443

Perhaps the BBC hasn't been able to conclude a licencing deal with the Terry Nation estate?

Although the Nation estate were a stumbling block in 2005, I would imagine that their share of the cash from umpteen bits of Dalek merchandise would soothe any "artistic" qualms. Nation's agent, the later Roger Hancock (brother of Tony) always seemed fixated on the cash from what I've heard from those who've had dealings with him.

One fanzine was repeatedly pestered by him for a "retroactive settlement" regarding their use of Dalek photographs. It was only when it was pointed out that all the images were from news agencies, not BBC stills and that all fees for their use had already been paid that he shut up.

Overall I'm enjoying season 6 so far, especially the reduced reliance on old enemies. Moffat does seem to have the knack of creating memorable new enemies, specifically the Weeping Angles and The Silence.

HOLA444

Overall I'm enjoying season 6 so far, especially the reduced reliance on old enemies. Moffat does seem to have the knack of creating memorable new enemies, specifically the Weeping Angles and The Silence.

Yup and I think quantum locked aliens and those that wipe themselves from memory tend to make Daleks and Cybermen look distinctly beyond their sell by date.

Also this weeks ending, where a plastic Pond gets melted and the real Pond is having a baby was a genuine surprise and shock.

Matt Smith is an excellent Doctor, entertaining with a Hartnellian "something of the night" about him.

HOLA445

I'm pretty sure Daleks lost their cool, when they started to appear in pastel "designer colours"! :huh:

HOLA446

Matt Smith is an excellent Doctor, entertaining with a Hartnellian "something of the night" about him.

I do like him an awful lot. That bit where he said "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" and other old Doctor quotes this week was brilliant. And the two Doctors, with their mutual appreciation fan club made for great TV.

Moffat has been getting some stick for making things "too complicated". I can see why people might think that, but I rather like all the twisty turny stuff of late. The ending of Saturday's episode was a cracker.

HOLA447

I'm pretty sure Daleks lost their cool, when they started to appear in pastel "designer colours"! :huh:

You can have credible brightly coloured Daleks, as the Peter Cushing films showed

dalek_movie.jpg

but when they look like they need to go to Weight Watchers....

4c5f2cf5d263fbaafaac26cccd8eb018.image.170x200.jpg

"Who ate all the Thals? Who ate all the Thals?"

YOU ate all the Thals!

HOLA448

In a sense it's always a problem when you defeat something and then it keeps coming back.

Although as it's a time travel series it's always possible to go back in a time to a point where they still exist. Unless of course you've stopped them from existing ever, although that could lead to all sorts of complications with timelines.

HOLA449

The "junk in the trunk" daleks always put me in mind of this:

EU collision regulations, I guess! :huh:

HOLA4410

LINK

I'm old enough to have seen many Dr's, but stopped with Tom Baker after seeing Petey undo all the eclectic nuttiness created by his predecessors.

I haven't watched the series in a long time outside of the odd vintage Who dvd score in a boot sale or charity shop and the various internet channels, but FFS, what's happened?

Yes, I know your clip is taken out of context with the silly kids song, but even with the sound off, just how is this supposed to scare children?

I think this illustrates the inverse proportionality of a writers creative talent versus salary, perfectly.

But hope there is, says on the net that J.Depp may play the character. JD has the same camp factor as another favourite of mine, Peter Cushing, who was also a great doctor.

HOLA4411

But hope there is, says on the net that J.Depp may play the character. JD has the same camp factor as another favourite of mine, Peter Cushing, who was also a great doctor.

The Johnny Depp Doctor Who thing is not going to happen. RTD was supposedly behind it, but he's publicly said he is "done" with Doctor Who.

Hmm Peter Cushing a great Doctor? Not sure. Many fans don't think the 60's films are part of the "canon." He isn't even a time lord in those films but an English eccentric inventor. Not sure I liked his portrayal. Too doddery. Hartnell was darker, but suspect his BBC contract prevented him being cast for the big screen versions.

HOLA4412

The Johnny Depp Doctor Who thing is not going to happen. RTD was supposedly behind it, but he's publicly said he is "done" with Doctor Who.

Hmm Peter Cushing a great Doctor? Not sure. Many fans don't think the 60's films are part of the "canon." He isn't even a time lord in those films but an English eccentric inventor. Not sure I liked his portrayal. Too doddery. Hartnell was darker, but suspect his BBC contract prevented him being cast for the big screen versions.

Shame. JD would be fun in the role, but, fair enough, no big screen adaptation of a sci-fi television series is, or has ever lived up to the atmosphere created in the parent show, in my opinion.

Notice I used the word 'camp'. Cushing was that, and that's what made him fun to watch, as goes with a lot of the vintage doctors.

Now the entertainment industry seems to demand that if a character is going to be camp, they have to be overtly homosexual, which is what turned me off of torchwood.

Kid's don't need the discriminator, and neither do big kid sci-fi fans. What's wrong with just being plain old eccentric and interesting?

HOLA4413

Shame. JD would be fun in the role, but, fair enough, no big screen adaptation of a sci-fi television series is, or has ever lived up to the atmosphere created in the parent show, in my opinion.

Notice I used the word 'camp'. Cushing was that, and that's what made him fun to watch, as goes with a lot of the vintage doctors.

Now the entertainment industry seems to demand that if a character is going to be camp, they have to be overtly homosexual, which is what turned me off of torchwood.

Kid's don't need the discriminator, and neither do big kid sci-fi fans. What's wrong with just being plain old eccentric and interesting?

Cushing appeared in many Hammer horrors, all of which were "camp" but in a non gay way. I think campness shouldn't be confused with effeminacy.

I also think its the way TV "Tristrams" think and work. Something has a "gay" following whether it be Doctor Who or Eurovision, so they camp it up with a gay presenter and so on. It spoils the shows really. I quite liked Captain Jack at first but he then just got embarrassing.

HOLA4414

Not sure I liked his portrayal. Too doddery. Hartnell was darker

He lightens up a lot after the first few stories. Until the advent of DVD the early stories were pretty much my only exposure to the first Doctor. Get to the likes of "The Space Museum" and he really is a lovable, silly old duffer at times.

space_museum_hartnell.jpg?w=480&h=359

Cushing isn't bad as long as you divorce him from the TV series. Both films are still very watchable today IMO, not bad for relatively low budget British films of that era.

I'm hoping they'll make it to Blu-ray one day, but that may be a long wait.

HOLA4415

Cushing appeared in many Hammer horrors, all of which were "camp" but in a non gay way. I think campness shouldn't be confused with effeminacy.

I also think its the way TV "Tristrams" think and work. Something has a "gay" following whether it be Doctor Who or Eurovision, so they camp it up with a gay presenter and so on. It spoils the shows really. I quite liked Captain Jack at first but he then just got embarrassing.

I scored a really cool box set of 21 hammer films a while back for a song.

I miss the good old days...

HOLA4416

He lightens up a lot after the first few stories. Until the advent of DVD the early stories were pretty much my only exposure to the first Doctor. Get to the likes of "The Space Museum" and he really is a lovable, silly old duffer at times.

space_museum_hartnell.jpg?w=480&h=359

Cushing isn't bad as long as you divorce him from the TV series. Both films are still very watchable today IMO, not bad for relatively low budget British films of that era.

I'm hoping they'll make it to Blu-ray one day, but that may be a long wait.

Hartnell became typecast for playing grumpy old gits (though he wasn't that old, and aged up to play the Doctor..)

http://www.whofix.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/hartnell_nz.jpg

hartnell_daleks.jpg

I thought you and Bill got on well Bart?

two.jpg

post-8947-0-57642300-1306888005_thumb.jpg

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I thought you and Bill got on well Bart?

two.jpg

That's a great picture, I've never seen that one before.

Oddly enough I did once get the chance to see Hartnell's wife Heather Hartnell and Bill's daughter Heather Anne at the BBC's 20th anniversary celebration at Longleat. They were part of a "Hartnell Years" panel which also featured Carol Ann Ford and Nicholas Courtney.

aod0032.JPG

HOLA4419

It looks like it's from a film or television show. Does anyone recognise it?

Yup its a 1953 British movie. "Will Any Gentleman" Also stars George Cole (Arthur Daley, St Trinians etc..).

Also I think I might have seen this in the days when the showed a B movie before the main film).

http://www.dvdoutsider.co.uk/dvd/reviews/w/will_any_gentlemen.html

HOLA4420

Also I think I might have seen this in the days when the showed a B movie before the main film.

I remember when they used to show short films before the main one (70s). Could be a drama or sometimes a documentary. I particularly remember one called "The Queen's Ships", narrated by Gordon Jackson.

What with the mini-movie, adverts, trailers, the inevitable break for the usherette and her ice creams, it was a real endurance test to see a movie in those days.

HOLA4421

I remember when they used to show short films before the main one (70s). Could be a drama or sometimes a documentary. I particularly remember one called "The Queen's Ships", narrated by Gordon Jackson.

What with the mini-movie, adverts, trailers, the inevitable break for the usherette and her ice creams, it was a real endurance test to see a movie in those days.

I remember going to see a James Bond marathon a long time back. All the Bond's shown back to back up to "You Only Live Twice." We were in there for days I think.

After that it was some time before I wanted to see another Bond.

Another endurance session involved sitting through the Flintstones movie (the original cartoon full length feature) and also the Disney classic "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoe's." (1969 starring an unknown Kurt Russell, and Cesar Romero otherwise known at The Joker).

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

P.S. amazing to think that Kurt Russell has been acting since the '60s!

Just had a look on IMDB and it seems he started in 1958!

LINK

I loved "The Barefoot Executive", a TVM about a chimp who could pick which TV shows would succeed and which wouldn't. I believe there *may* have been a satirical angle in there about the quality of 70s American TV shows. :)

Archived