House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

R4 News At 1Pm Shapps On Housing Coming Up.

I have no desire to listen to that prat talking about price stability. He's shown his cards, and he's has sided with the banks and mortgage lenders.

I have no desire to listen to that prat talking about price stability. He's shown his cards, and he's has sided with the banks and mortgage lenders.

ask yourself this - who do you want to win the next GE?

You should have a listen. He was just on Sky news and when asked what the problem was he said price! He said that under labour house prices tripled and the next generation being priced out is the obvious result. Then he did talk about stability, but said the solution is house building. Was better than past form IMHO. Didn't mention lending as a problem once.

Could be that he knows some falls are unaviodable and now wants to make it seem more deliberate.

S

I think you are right, but I am not 100% sure yet.

First, I don't think a policy this important would be decided by Shapps. And the higher levels know we are in a bubble

13:12 - it's starting now.

Edit: It is on-line now:

12min 20sec in : http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011jzmp/World_at_One_31_05_2011/

Edited by Tired of Waiting

You should have a listen. He was just on Sky news and when asked what the problem was he said price! He said that under labour house prices tripled and the next generation being priced out is the obvious result. Then he did talk about stability, but said the solution is house building. Was better than past form IMHO. Didn't mention lending as a problem once.

Could be that he knows some falls are unaviodable and now wants to make it seem more deliberate.

S

I have a guess that nominal terms price falls will be deliberately cushioned where possible, as this has 2 good results - increased house building, and less fear-induced NIMBYISM. Monetary inflation it has to be.

"Prices are too high"

Too few new built, too much credit! :o

But now he wnts more mortgages!!! What a moron!!!

Guest is right on limiting credit.

But wrong by ignoring supply.

I think you are right, but I am not 100% sure yet.

First, I don't think a policy this important would be decided by Shapps. And the higher levels know we are in a bubble

13:12 - it starting now.

Like Osbourne? I wrote to my MP earlier this year regarding FTB issues and stating my strong opposition to the new first time buyer scheme launched by this government. In his reply (or that of one of his assistants anyway) his solution was the very same scheme that I had just wrote to him complaining about!

My MP also very kindly forwarded my letter to George Osbourne too. Well at least his office actually read my letter, but in it he disagree with most of what I said and insisted that the first time buyer scheme was a good idea.

I prefer these idiots over the last lot but they are not on our side. At least not openly.

"Prices are too high"

I don't see what option the government have, politically - they need a soft landing, the taxpayer cannto afford it, so they have to get a porportion of the population to voluntarily pay for this, which is what he is suggesting; they will probably vote tory too thanking the tories for getting them on the mortgage ladder with a grand long term yield of 3%, this is politically clever

"Prices are too high"

Is he suggesting that people borrow long-term against depreciating assets?

That's novel.

p-o-p

I guess they only had a few minutes on the topic and the interviewer had to keep interrupting, but basically Shapps said "Yep, houses are too expensive and I think anything over 100% mortgages are naughty, but other than that, lets keep things as they are"

I don't see what option the government have, politically - they need a soft landing, the taxpayer cannto afford it, so they have to get a porportion of the population to voluntarily pay for this, which is what he is suggesting; they will probably vote tory too thanking the tories for getting them on the mortgage ladder with a grand long term yield of 3%, this is politically clever

I doubt they'll vote tory in gratitude for being stuck fast in a tiny one-bedroom box. See thread entitled "Tragedy of Trapped Homeowners".

I doubt they'll vote tory in gratitude for being stuck fast in a tiny one-bedroom box. See thread entitled "Tragedy of Trapped Homeowners".

beg to disagree, I think they will bve hugely grateful, psychology is a funny thing. And Labour will get tarred with the boom and bust label, be much less electable than the pro-stability tories.

Schapps could do very very well politically out of this, could be a work of genius.

Edited by Si1

Yes, I know... people buying cash, or with large deposits, are actually saving the banks, the tax-payers, and the country!

Most annoying, from our personal and short-term perspective, as it delays the price correction. But it may be the less damaging way out of this mess, in the macro and long-term perspective... Arrr

I'm so fecking tired of waiting!!!

Couldn't we have at least some 10% fall until the end of the year??!! I think the banks have cushioned themselves enough for that, no??!!! They must! IIRC Those stress tests last year estimated that the banks could take a 15% fall, back then. Even more now.

Yes, I know... people buying cash, or with large deposits, are actually saving the banks, the tax-payers, and the country!

Most annoying, from our personal and short-term perspective, as it delays the price correction. But it may be the less damaging way out of this mess, in the macro and long-term perspective... Arrr

Couldn't we have at least some 10% fall until the end of the year??!! I think the banks have cushioned themselves enough for that, no??!!! They must! IIRC Those stress tests last year estimated that the banks could take a 15% fall, back then. Even more now.

Depends how realistic the stress tests were.

sh*t f*ck sh*t I know

I hate it but it is what I see

total sh*t

sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t sh*t

So, did he mention more innovative ways to burden the young with huge mortgage debt?

yep, he's found a plan to make them vote Tory whilst at the same time being debt slaves, seriously innovative, sheer f*cking genius