House Price Crash Forum

- HPC SALARY SURVEY -

1. Basic Salary - about 37k

2. Other Income - minimal

3. Income from Divs - None

4. Rental Income - None

5. Investment Income - None

6. Capital currently in property - None

7. Capital in shares - £250, started yesterday.

8. Capital in commodities - None

9. Other investments - None

10. Cash in Bank/ISA/Savings etc - about £5k

11. Annual Gross interest - not sure, about £150

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Basic Salary - £34k. Miss Llamashak went from £36k to £0k yesterday as was made redundant yesterday :(

2. Other Income - around £500 pa

3. Income from Divs - None

4. Rental Income - None

5. Investment Income - None

6. Capital currently in property - None

7. Capital in shares - None

8. Capital in commodities - None

9. Other investments - None

10. Cash in Bank/ISA/Savings etc - about £18k

11. Annual Gross interest - don't know, maybe £500

12. Pension - £4400

13. Age - 24

Llamashak, what job was she in? was she an estate agent?

She was in the technical consultancy and systems architecture side of event management...so unfortunately not an estate agent.

She only had the job 7 weeks as well, moved from a really good job as a Revenue Manager because she wanted a change and has been proper shafted by this new company.

They told her to clear her desk and didn't even give her a reason as to why they are making her "redundant" which should probably read "termination of contract"

Still, not the end of the world.

Adding me and hubby together:

1. Basic Salary - (0,0)

2. Non-regular/other annual income (Bonuses, Commission,etc) - (0,0)

3. Income from Dividends - (0,0)

4. Annual Rental Income (if landlord) - (0,0)

5. Income from other investments - (0,0)

6. Capital currently in property - 0

7. Capital currently in shares - 42,000

8. Capital currently in commodities - 0

9. Capital currently in other investments - 0

10. Cash in bank, savings, ISA, etc - 495,000

11. Annual gross interest earned on savings (if significant, e.g. STR's)

- Dunno, STR'd so recently, currently approx. 4.75-5.00% gross.

1. Basic Salary - 26K + 10K WIFE=36K

2. Non-regular/other annual income (Bonuses, Commission,etc) -

3. Income from Dividends -

4. Annual Rental Income (if landlord) -

5. Income from other investments -

6. Capital currently in property -

7. Capital currently in shares -

8. Capital currently in commodities -

9. Capital currently in other investments -

10. Cash in bank, savings, ISA, etc -

11.But only paying 450pcm rent :)

1. Basic salary - £6k

2. Non regular/other annual income - £20k

3. Income from dividends - £200

4. Annual rental income - £20k

5. Income from other investments 0

6. Capital currently in property - £735k

7. Capital currently in shares - £30k

8. Capital currently in commodities 0

9. Capital currently in other investments 0

10.Cash in bank, savings, ISAs etc - £190k

11. Annual gross interest earned on savings - about £6k

Seriously guys, why are you on here if you earn that much? How can you really be worried about price crashes when it looks like your set up pretty nicely.

Think about us poor folk who really ARE stretched to buy anything. I won't even lower myself to put on here how much I earn and how much I have in savings. I really do need a price crash, but I don't think you guys really do.

Sorry.

:huh:

@Jokes on Me : depends where you live, im sure the higher earners here could buy a small place or a flat but most have decided against it because of there salarys. The higher earners are expecting to buy bigger places. They are deciding not to buy because they dont want a small place. With the higher earners abstaining from buying smaller properties, this frees up smaller properties for the lower earners out there....

Seriously guys, why are you on here if you earn that much?  How can you really be worried about price crashes when it looks like your set up pretty nicely.

Think about us poor folk who really ARE stretched to buy anything.  I won't even lower myself to put on here how much I earn and how much I have in savings.  I really do need a price crash, but I don't think you guys really do.

Sorry.

:huh:

But that's the point. Many of the HPC regulars are '20-something' to '30-somethings', earning top 5-10% incomes, have well paid professional jobs and are highly qualified, many with desirable post-grad qualifications.

We're the only people left pretty much who could keep this Greater-fool bubble going a little bit longer. I.e., my £50-60k income will, in this area, allow me to buy an ex-council flat or terrace house, and at a bit of a stretch. Which would push the price of these least desirable properties up a little further for a little while longer.

But we choose not to. I believe that a top 10% income should give you purchasing power to buy a top 10% property, so I want a 4-5 bedroom house, with a big garden and probably a swimming pool. Does it not strike you as odd that only the highest paid people can afford the lowest quality housing, and the rest of the population (the majority) will have to do without. We're just as priced out as someone earning £15,000 a year.

If I was to panic and buy an ex-council flat, what then? I would have to live there for the rest of my life. There would be no property ladder, my income won't rise much above current levels in real terms at any time in the future, inflation won't erode my debt in any meaningful way? What then, I wait for the next level of greater fool to buy my little council flat for even more than I paid for it, for someone who is in the top 0.1% income bracket earning £1m+ a year to come along and buy my little council flat because now they are the only income bracket who can afford it, and they had better buy before THEY get priced-out too. Nope, it's all going to correct, and oil prices and interest rates can't really effect it, only tilt the timing slightly.

The only economically sustainable way this market will end up, is to correct to a point where the wealthiest people can afford the best houses, average people can buy an average house, and the poorest people will be able to afford the lowest tier of housing. A situation where only the richest people can afford the absolute poorest housing is obviously unsustainable.

I'll be taking possession of my 5 bedroom house with swimming pool in 3 years or so, thanks.

Jokes on me: believe me I'm quite happy for there to be a price crash. Remember age makes a huge difference. I'm 43 - therefore was the right age to build value in property. I'm on here because for the last couple of years I've been thinking of buying another property, but have withheld because I just couldn't see these prices being sustained. I always do loads of research before investing - ended up finding this site. Unfortunately it's quite addictive!

Just as this stage of the housing cycle has come to an end - there'll always be another bubble building somewhere else and in something else. Unfortuantely we need a crystal ball to see it...

There certainly does seem to be some big earners here. It makes me wonder if the average income is actually higher than figures suggest, its certainly much higher on this board.

It does seem odd that these forums have attracted so many high-earners, makes me feel a little inadequete tbh :P Where are all the ppl earning less than 15k so I can feel better about myself <_<

wtc, internet users on the whole are skewed towards the ABC1 male end of the social spectrum, so as such the distribution of incomes is exactly what you would expect to see. If anything the average wage is actually distorted upwards by the inclusions of City whizzkids making multi-million pound bonuses etc so in reality is probably much lower. I wouldn't let it get to you: but still try to get rich!

I guess thats true. I'm just used to posting on online gaming forums where the average income of ppl posting there is nothing like it is on this board :) Though I've never seen a poll about it on any of those board so it is all guess work ;)

But that's the point.  Many of the HPC regulars are '20-something' to '30-somethings', earning top 5-10% incomes, have well paid professional jobs and are highly qualified, many with desirable post-grad qualifications. 

We're the only people left pretty much who could keep this Greater-fool bubble going a little bit longer.  I.e., my £50-60k income will, in this area, allow me to buy an ex-council flat or terrace house, and at a bit of a stretch.  Which would push the price of these least desirable properties up a little further for a little while longer.

But we choose not to.  I believe that a top 10% income should give you purchasing power to buy a top 10% property, so I want a 4-5 bedroom house, with a big garden and probably a swimming pool.  Does it not strike you as odd that only the highest paid people can afford the lowest quality housing, and the rest of the population (the majority) will have to do without.  We're just as priced out as someone earning £15,000 a year.

I'll be taking possession of my 5 bedroom house with swimming pool in 3 years or so, thanks.

your only problem here RJG18 will be the 1000's of people who earn say 75k who want a 5 bed house with a pool as well. the problem is they will be able to afford the house before it comes down to your wishful thinking figure. the people on 75k P.A will have the same problem with the people on 100k and so on.........

why not set your sights lower. you're only 25. buy a cheaper car, make some sacrifices. rent somewhere cheaper. go back to your mams/rent a room somwhere, until you have a better deposit. if you pay your mamrent a room for £300 pcm you should be able to save up 5ok dipper in no time at all. you can't tell me you can't buy a decent property in london for 250k? come on be honest? a 2 bed apt in a reasonable location.

i'm surprised at your post, as you've always struck me as a level headed eloquent guy, and yet there you are in black and white in front of me, thinking you are going to get a £ million+++ pad just land on your lap. it does'nt happen. i can assure you. you have to work for it.aim for it. wishing for it just doesnt cut the mustard. its about time you came back down to earth with a big bump.

BBB you clearly don't know anything about the London market at all. To answer your question, NO, you cannot buy a decent property for £250K in London. That will probably buy you a 1-bed in Peckham. Why doesn't he lower his sights to a cardboard box BBB? Would that be REASONABLE enough for you? Stop trying to tell people what to do.

well BUBBLE PRICKER said he sold his house, yes house for 280k. so surely you can buy a 2 bed apt for 250k? sorry i'll rephrase that, i know you can buy a 2 bed apt for 250k. (i've seen them at the back of the times ''homes section'')