House Price Crash Forum

Bournemouth Student Accomodation

HOLA441

There appears to be loads of custom student accomodation under construction in Bournemouth.

On the ex B&Q site opposite Central Station halls of residence are being built, I believe to be run as a private as opposed to a Bournemouth University concern. Also on the triangular plot next to the new police station there is a large building in progress wich looks like more student accomodation but I don't know.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who knows how many units are coming on-stream and how this is affecting the student let landlords of Winton and Charminster.

HOLA442
HOLA443

i used to live around there about 15 years ago, always was horrible mind you the old rocker night club on the corner used to be fun.

always was a student digs area.

Yes, that's still going in some form, but the Gander is long gone sadly.

The "trendy for six months" bars that followed it were a disaster, but now it's a Wetherspoons and on a sound footing.

HOLA444

I keep an eye on the area. Rents have pretty much stayed flat for 7 years in a row now. Bedsits start from £65p/w, studios £350p/m. No problems finding a place to rent. Capital values have fallen of course.

Yet another new competitor in the rental market? These landlords will be eating each other next.

HOLA445

Hi, this is my first post although I have been reading the site for 3 years. I have been living in Bmth for many years and although I have got a good job (secure and pays well over the national average) I have never had the intention to buy property here because it is so expensive. although renting can be annoying, financially it makes so much more sense. Someone that I know has recently bought 2 hourses as student lets, using a mortgage. I advised this person not to do it and explained my reasons (veru much what's going on this forum). surprise, surprise, houses can only go up and this friend went ahead. Yes, these are two new student halls of resident, adding over 700 places. This is on top of two brand new halls of residence which opened in the last 3 years (around 500 beds each). Once these new ones are finished, all together in the last 3 years around 1700 beds would have been built. This, coupled with an expected fall in student numbers due to the increased fees (the impact won't probably be immediate, but there will be a reduction) will cause a lot of problems to private landlords in the future. I can see them trying to cut each other at a time where demand is low, but interest rates are higher... it is not going to be nice (for them)! The cherry on the top of the cake would be JP morgan leaving Bournemouth... then it will be MAYHEM in the housing market (ÃŽ think they employ 5000 people).

HOLA446

Hi, this is my first post although I have been reading the site for 3 years. I have been living in Bmth for many years and although I have got a good job (secure and pays well over the national average) I have never had the intention to buy property here because it is so expensive. although renting can be annoying, financially it makes so much more sense. Someone that I know has recently bought 2 hourses as student lets, using a mortgage. I advised this person not to do it and explained my reasons (veru much what's going on this forum). surprise, surprise, houses can only go up and this friend went ahead. Yes, these are two new student halls of resident, adding over 700 places. This is on top of two brand new halls of residence which opened in the last 3 years (around 500 beds each). Once these new ones are finished, all together in the last 3 years around 1700 beds would have been built. This, coupled with an expected fall in student numbers due to the increased fees (the impact won't probably be immediate, but there will be a reduction) will cause a lot of problems to private landlords in the future. I can see them trying to cut each other at a time where demand is low, but interest rates are higher... it is not going to be nice (for them)! The cherry on the top of the cake would be JP morgan leaving Bournemouth... then it will be MAYHEM in the housing market (ÃŽ think they employ 5000 people).

Thanks for posting, good information.

I think BU has some Halls of Residence in Poole near Baiter Park too. They know where the real money is and it's not in the shoddy "education".

Looks like your friend is screwed. Couldn't just have got the one BTL to see how it goes? Oh dear.

And yes, cherry on the cake! Lovely expression. They have been shifting functions to India for many years now, and pleasingly the sort of jobs occupied by smug complacent fools who enjoy seeing the labouring classes feked over by migrants. Yes, JP Morgan closing would be like christmas and all my birthdays at once.

Edit too add: Great first post!

Edited by Laughing Gnome

HOLA447

I posted this on the South-West forum, but in case you aren't following that here's my take

Looks like a fairly substantial block they're building although I would have thought that block will serve the students at the nursing college and other unis at the lansdowne and wont take away from the many btl ers in Winton/Wallisdown.... unless of course they do actually start to build the massive block they keep taking about at the wallisdown campus, that will really screw landlords over!

You are making a couple of assumtions here.

Firstly, many students emphatically don't want to live in Uni accommodation after the first year, especially if it's a big hall of residence - too many pettifogging regulations and the drunken-idiot-setting-off-the-fire-alarm-at-3.00am factor (all jolly good fun the first time it happens in October; less so when you get to February!). Slightly older students (20+, say) may not even want it in the first year.

Secondly, the Uni has massive overheads and has to charge a LOT for accommodation (I know whereof I speak; my daughter was there!) AND can't change fees suddenly. A landlord who has only filled 3 out of 5 rooms, say, can always do a price reduction at the last minute on the grounds that the rooms were smaller / not as as well furnished or whatever.

Wallisdown is, surprisingly, not that popular - students want Winton/ Charminster, even though they're further away; or the town centre if they are real party animals.

Added - I am watching with detached mild interest - was in student BTLin Bournemouth from 1999 till last year - none of the previous fee hikes seemed to make any difference. Place has a a lot of students whose Mummies & Daddies would have liked them to go to Exeter but they didn't get the grades....

HOLA448

I posted this on the South-West forum, but in case you aren't following that here's my take

Looks like a fairly substantial block they're building although I would have thought that block will serve the students at the nursing college and other unis at the lansdowne and wont take away from the many btl ers in Winton/Wallisdown.... unless of course they do actually start to build the massive block they keep taking about at the wallisdown campus, that will really screw landlords over!

You are making a couple of assumtions here.

Firstly, many students emphatically don't want to live in Uni accommodation after the first year, especially if it's a big hall of residence - too many pettifogging regulations and the drunken-idiot-setting-off-the-fire-alarm-at-3.00am factor (all jolly good fun the first time it happens in October; less so when you get to February!). Slightly older students (20+, say) may not even want it in the first year.

Secondly, the Uni has massive overheads and has to charge a LOT for accommodation (I know whereof I speak; my daughter was there!) AND can't change fees suddenly. A landlord who has only filled 3 out of 5 rooms, say, can always do a price reduction at the last minute on the grounds that the rooms were smaller / not as as well furnished or whatever.

Wallisdown is, surprisingly, not that popular - students want Winton/ Charminster, even though they're further away; or the town centre if they are real party animals.

Added - I am watching with detached mild interest - was in student BTLin Bournemouth from 1999 till last year - none of the previous fee hikes seemed to make any difference. Place has a a lot of students whose Mummies & Daddies would have liked them to go to Exeter but they didn't get the grades....

Thanks for posting.

That Wallisdown's unpopular is no surprise at all!

I take your point about the higher cost and the zoo-like atmosphere. However, I think at least one of the new halls is to be privately

run so I would expect the overheads to be substantially reduced. Good information re fee hikes. I can see how if Bournemouth is the prefered location for the retarded hoorah! it will make no difference.

Edited by Laughing Gnome

HOLA449

Welcome to the forum FMW and thanks for those figures.

I'm Charminster-based and was wondering just how many the new student blocks cater / will be catering for. If those numbers are ballpark-accurate (and I can believe it, it's a hell of a lot of floor space) they'll wreak havoc on the local BTL scene. Bring it on.

JP Morgan leaving Bournemouth would indeed be a house price apocalypse, though I'm not holding my breath. Littledown would turn from Smugville into a scum estate in about a fortnight.

HOLA4410

Welcome.

JPMC - can't see why they'd leave, can you? AFAIK they pay local wages - which is a damn sight south of London prices, so I'd guess it's in their short term interests to remain.

HOLA4411

Welcome.

JPMC - can't see why they'd leave, can you? AFAIK they pay local wages - which is a damn sight south of London prices, so I'd guess it's in their short term interests to remain.

I think you're right, I have a friend who works JP Morgan and it seems likely they will remain

shame though, I hate Littledown, lived there for a while and it was the worst part of Bournemouth... full of smug middle management who thought they were a lot more important than they actually were

I live in Southbourne and while I went to Bournemouth University never had to rent.

HOLA4412

I'm Charminster-based and was wondering just how many the new student blocks cater / will be catering for. If those numbers are ballpark-accurate (and I can believe it, it's a hell of a lot of floor space) they'll wreak havoc on the local BTL scene. Bring it on.

JP Morgan leaving Bournemouth would indeed be a house price apocalypse, though I'm not holding my breath. Littledown would turn from Smugville into a scum estate in about a fortnight.

Littledown is more likely to simply refill with another wave of folk desperate to get out of London or Birmingham...

HOLA4413

:lol:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

shame though, I hate Littledown, lived there for a while and it was the worst part of Bournemouth...

My uncle was engaged to the heiress who owned LIttledown, Edith Cooper-Dean. It was a rather bizarre brick house in nice grounds back then. My cousin lived in the gate house which is still there until Edith died. Bournemouth Council were not supposed to build housing on the land.

HOLA4416

My uncle was engaged to the heiress who owned LIttledown, Edith Cooper-Dean. It was a rather bizarre brick house in nice grounds back then. My cousin lived in the gate house which is still there until Edith died. Bournemouth Council were not supposed to build housing on the land.

Going off topic here but so what, oddly I find that interesting.

Obviously as a local I am aware of the Cooper Dean thing but I have necer somehow imagined a flesh and blood human being. I suppose I thought of the place as some sort of mausoleum.

HOLA4417

Welcome.

If I remember correctly Chase - as it then was - used to run huge "COME AND WORK BY THE SEASIDE! IT'S GREAT!" adverts, complete with pictures of the beach, in IT job-hunting rag Computer Weekly back in the nineties. They were aggressively pushing the location as an employment perk. Do they still bother doing that?

(Is Computer Weekly even still going now everyone can conduct futile searches for new work by internet?)

HOLA4418

Great story,

Bournemouth Council shouldnt have done a lot of this, IMAX, surf reef, etc.

When I was at Wally Poly I used to delivery Chinkies and the littledown was full of the most arrogant types I had the misfortune of meeting in the whole town

HOLA4419

Great story,

Bournemouth Council shouldnt have done a lot of this, IMAX, surf reef, etc.

When I was at Wally Poly I used to delivery Chinkies and the littledown was full of the most arrogant types I had the misfortune of meeting in the whole town

If it makes you feel any better the houses on that estate are absolute cr@p. I've lodged or house-shared in three different houses there over the years and the build quality is consistently awful.

HOLA4420

Going off topic here but so what, oddly I find that interesting.

Obviously as a local I am aware of the Cooper Dean thing but I have necer somehow imagined a flesh and blood human being. I suppose I thought of the place as some sort of mausoleum.

Mausoleum is a good word, my uncle finally married an aussie. Cooper-Dean senior told him that he would never have Edith until he was earning 1000 guineas a year and when he did he had gone off the whole thing. Edith ended up a bit like Miss Haversham in Great Expectations, mice living in the wedding cake and all that.

Anyway that's enough memory lane, time for my cocoa while the housekeeper turns the beds down.

HOLA4421

If it makes you feel any better the houses on that estate are absolute cr@p. I've lodged or house-shared in three different houses there over the years and the build quality is consistently awful.

So have I, it is also a bad crime area, my son plays footy at the sports place, I really like the area, it is just the people.

When I lived there, if you parked in the wrong place you'd get a written note on the windscreen telling you to move the car from the house owners..... pure arrogance

All in all though I do like Bournemouth, don't get into town as I am far too old and unfashionable but there is something for everyone

HOLA4422

I know of the Cooper-dean roundabout, that is about it.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424