House Price Crash Forum

Sepp Blatter Fifa Implodes

geezer466

HOLA441

All very strange this man is very much in denial...... How much longer can he last?

Calls the Journalists children.

Derides 'the people I am given' for his executive committee.

Walks off when he cannot handle any more.

If he doesn't step down is it time for a breakaway organisation

HOLA442

All very strange this man is very much in denial...... How much longer can he last?

Calls the Journalists children.

Derides 'the people I am given' for his executive committee.

Walks off when he cannot handle any more.

If he doesn't step down is it time for a breakaway organisation

What else can you expect from 'trash got on'?rolleyes.gif

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Is this idiot still opposing goal line technology? It is standard in rugby , tennis etc He says; ' that mistakes ( I assume by the officials) are part of the game" and he wanted female players to wear more revealing shirts and shorter shorts. Why is he running FIFA?

Perhaps they prefer a bit of ambiguity ? Can't think why ;)

HOLA446

Dear me, how do such incompetent men get such responsible jobs??

I can't give you a simple answer, but I'm come across this syndrome many times when it comes to the heads of trade organisations, unions and professional bodies. A musician friend I was chatting to in the pub last night told me that pretty much the same thing happened to the Royal College of Organists (strictly of the keyboard and pedal variety, I hasten to add!) a few years ago: a president who had been there forever and had been returned unopposed several times decided to ram through some controversial and nonsensical changes, including giving up their prime central London location. Turns out he had a sideline in property development that was somewhat more lucrative than playing at weddings, and the rest was history. A while back the Society of American Archivists went through a similar moment, with an autocratic leader who tried to rewrite the bylaws to suit his whims, and didn't really care who he trampled over in order to do so. When the University and College Union was formed as the result of a merger between two other unions in 2006, allegations flew around that the two presential candidates (who were formerly the leaders of the predecessor unions) engaged in all sorts of dirty tricks to secure election. Admittedly these are all tiny and obscure outfits compared to FIFA, but this sort of representative / regulatory organisation does tend to attract unsavoury characters, right the way up to the biggest and highest profile ones (Max Mosley, anyone?).

HOLA447

Seems the games the games two biggest sponsors (coca cola and adidas) are making their displeasure known this morning.

We all know money talks and focuses the mind so maybe the delegates will vote to postpone the election.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I can't give you a simple answer, but I'm come across this syndrome many times when it comes to the heads of trade organisations, unions and professional bodies. A musician friend I was chatting to in the pub last night told me that pretty much the same thing happened to the Royal College of Organists (strictly of the keyboard and pedal variety, I hasten to add!) a few years ago: a president who had been there forever and had been returned unopposed several times decided to ram through some controversial and nonsensical changes, including giving up their prime central London location. Turns out he had a sideline in property development that was somewhat more lucrative than playing at weddings, and the rest was history. A while back the Society of American Archivists went through a similar moment, with an autocratic leader who tried to rewrite the bylaws to suit his whims, and didn't really care who he trampled over in order to do so. When the University and College Union was formed as the result of a merger between two other unions in 2006, allegations flew around that the two presential candidates (who were formerly the leaders of the predecessor unions) engaged in all sorts of dirty tricks to secure election. Admittedly these are all tiny and obscure outfits compared to FIFA, but this sort of representative / regulatory organisation does tend to attract unsavoury characters, right the way up to the biggest and highest profile ones (Max Mosley, anyone?).

Just the old story of scum floating to the top. Positions of power only really attracts people who are out to use them for themselves, which is why they shouldn't be given to anyone who wants them or is able to get into them (Douglas Adams had something rather similar to say).

HOLA4410

FIFA is so bent, as is any organisation with that much money floating around. Peoples surprise at human greed astounds me sometimes. As for Blatter, he's always been a couple of dolly mixtures short of a quarter so the only possible reason he can be there is power backed by money. There's a Scarface quote in there somewhere.

HOLA4411

Seems the games the games two biggest sponsors (coca cola and adidas) are making their displeasure known this morning.

They will have known full well how corrupt FIFA was. They're upset about their brands being linked with bad headlines, not with the corruption itself. FFS, that FIFA is rotten to the core isnt even news to me, and I have zero interest in football.

Corporate cycnicism of the basest kind.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Does Jack Warner enjoy hill walking? :ph34r:

There have been many a rumour and allegation about Warner going back for decades. None of it 'proven' of course.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

One wonders just why 186 nations supported him.

I don't know about other countries but this fifa corruption scandal never made top headlines in Poland.

I imagine it must have been the same in many of those 186 countries. Just shows you how influential and powerful this organisation really is.

On the other hand I don't really care. I don't like watching professional sport. Only amateurs are truly authentic IMO.

HOLA4418

So Blatter's won re-election with 186 votes from the 203 member associations and he will be in charge until 2015.

One wonders just why 186 nations supported him.

Would be interesting to know which associations didn't support him - also I thought there were a signifincant number of abstentions as well.

HOLA4419

Would be interesting to know which associations didn't support him - also I thought there were a signifincant number of abstentions as well.

Can't really be that significant number of abstentions since 186 out of 203 supported him - i.e. only the remaning 16 either voted against or abstained...

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Yeah not sure FIFA is a best practice corporate governance model.

I guess that's why it's ringing alarm bells at the sponsors.

Interesting that they setup this 'ethics committee'. Presumably Directors have free reign to do what they like (not bound by any laws, or voluntary codes).

HOLA4423

While I freely admit that I haven't watched / heard / read as much news in the last week or two than I usually do, I really haven't managed to glean much opnion from the top brass of the 90 odd percent of countries that supported Blatter. Is my cynicism turning to paranioia or did the BBC and Sky just not bother to present their point of view? I did see a Sky reporter get a couple of words out of a Belgian and an Argentinian but they didn't really do anything to develop what they said beyond soundbite level.

Archived