House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Massive Night Protest In Athens Right Now

How far ahead is Greece to the UK - 3 hours? It is almost midnight here but Sky News is showing hundreds of thousands of people protesting in the centre of Athens against the austerity cuts.

They are 2 hours ahead I think.

Whenever I see protests in other countries, I often wonder if the "British" as a nation/collective would react in the same way. I worry that we would switch X-factor on and have a nice cup of tea. But that is probably an unfair assumption based on "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" or in this case "the riots always seem more violent on the other side of the border"

Easier to shout and waive your arms around than actually face reality I guess. They have lived beyond thier means for too long.

These countries don't come alive till the early hours. Ever been to a decent European nightclub ? - they don't get going till 2-3am...

Most of the UK have been clubbing, eaten a kebab, queued for a taxi (having a fight in the process), and are fast asleep next to a swamp donkey by that time.

Caught the end of a fairly bearish piece on R4 tonight discussing the piigs, it really seems it's now becoming mainstream that it's when not if the euro fails.

Nah... We will just devalue like crazy. The beauty of having kept our own printer.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Nah... We will just devalue like crazy. The beauty of having kept our own currency.

Which will ultimately cause unrest amongst the Sheeple as a loaf of bread starts going up 10p a week.

If they keep playing this printing game at some point the average Joe is going to work out the link between printing and inflation - better get X-Factor back on the box to keep them sedated.

How far ahead is Greece to the UK - 3 hours? It is almost midnight here but Sky News is showing hundreds of thousands of people protesting in the centre of Athens against the austerity cuts.

I just heard something on the news about an outside body being imposed on Greece, to oversee tax collection. Plus a mention that the Greeks wouldn't like it. :P

Given that one of the problems seemed to be that hardly anybody pays any tax, and the system was evidently too endemically corrupt to sort out, I can't help wondering why this hasn't been done before.

A couple of yrs ago I read of a 'typical' case, can't remember precise figures but e.g. someone owes 100,000 euros tax, taxman says, OK, you pay 25,000 and slip me 10,000, that'll sort it.

Though whether this was a Daily Mail type 'typical' I can't say. (Not that I read it in the DM.)

I just heard something on the news about an outside body being imposed on Greece, to oversee tax collection. Plus a mention that the Greeks wouldn't like it. :P

Given that one of the problems seemed to be that hardly anybody pays any tax, and the system was evidently too endemically corrupt to sort out, I can't help wondering why this hasn't been done before.

A couple of yrs ago I read of a 'typical' case, can't remember precise figures but e.g. someone owes 100,000 euros tax, taxman says, OK, you pay 25,000 and slip me 10,000, that'll sort it.

Though whether this was a Daily Mail type 'typical' I can't say. (Not that I read it in the DM.)

Not typical. A Greek tax collector would either try and skim the whole lot or just not bother.

Loads of stories from an ex-greek gf. You go for a public sector job to get the salary andthepension. Then skibe more than 50% of the time and get a cash in hands job in the tourist industry.

I did point out that the system would not last. She was convinced that it go on for another 50 years.

These demos are part of a pan-european movement with massive demos in Athens, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris and smaller ones in cities all over Europe yesterday.

Interesting that the UK press don't seem to mention any of this much - if at all yet it's on the front pages of the main Spanish and French papers - nothing in the German ones though.

Interesting that the UK press don't seem to mention any of this much - if at all yet it's on the front pages of the main Spanish and French papers - nothing in the German ones though.

Yes. 'Interesting'. They don't want to give us any ideas.

Henry Kissinger 1974

“The Greek people are anarchic and difficult to tame. For this reason we must strike deep into their cultural roots: perhaps then we can force them to conform. I mean, of course, to strike at their language, their religion, their cultural and historical reserves, so that we can neutralize their ability to develop, to distinguish themselves, or to prevail; thereby removing them as an obstacle to our strategically vital plans in the Balkans, the Mediterranean, and the Middle East.”

You will struggle to find any reports of these protests on the BBC website.

Strange given the attention given to similar events in the Arab world.

It is now really quite obvious how they spin the news.

Just like the Russians in the Soviet era I am beginning to realise that

'There is no News in Truth and no Truth in the News'

How far ahead is Greece to the UK - 3 hours?

Light Years, in terms of a nations which knows how to express themselves.

[i wonder if they had to ask permission to protest, as we do in the UK?!?!?!]

Excuse me Mr Plod, may I have permission to throw this petrol bomb at your car.......?

Orwell was guite aware of the MSM bias in his time, then it was a pro-Soviet bias - what is it today?

http://ancientliberty.blogspot.com/

Yep, the BBC is the main force for evil in this country. I'm not using hyperbole here, I really believe that. Not just on this issue (although they do) but they distort peoples perceptions on so many levels on so many issues. The big 3 being Israel, membership of the EUSSR and levels of government spending.

Orwell was guite aware of the MSM bias in his time, then it was a pro-Soviet bias - what is it today?

Yep, still soviet bias, only this time its EUSSR rather than USSR.

Not typical. A Greek tax collector would either try and skim the whole lot or just not bother.

Loads of stories from an ex-greek gf. You go for a public sector job to get the salary andthepension. Then skibe more than 50% of the time and get a cash in hands job in the tourist industry.

I did point out that the system would not last. She was convinced that it go on for another 50 years.

Any state needs to finance itself. If it doesn't, it will be replaced by one that can.

You can forget about human rights. If the only way to raise tax is to put a bullet into the brains of non-payers to prompt others to pay, then that is what must happen.

As for austerity, ha. The Greeks are still spending more than they are taking in. Get ready for some real pain Spiro.

Προτρέπω όλους σας καλές Έλληνες πολίτες να κατεβαίνουν στο κοινοβούλιο σας και της κεντρικής τράπεζας, και ισοπεδώνω τους στο έδαφος.

Βάλτε τους πολιτικούς και τους τραπεζίτες σας στη φυλακή, και να αρχίσει ξανά.

Αλλιώς, θα είναι σκλάβοι για το υπόλοιπο της ζωής σας.

Προτρέπω όλους σας καλές Έλληνες πολίτες να κατεβαίνουν στο κοινοβούλιο σας και της κεντρικής τράπεζας, και ισοπεδώνω τους στο έδαφος.

Βάλτε τους πολιτικούς και τους τραπεζίτες σας στη φυλακή, και να αρχίσει ξανά.

Αλλιώς, θα είναι σκλάβοι για το υπόλοιπο της ζωής σας.

It's all Greek to me so translation here:

I urge you all good Greek citizens to come down in your parliament and the Central Bank and flatten the ground.

Put politicians and bankers you in jail, and start again.

Otherwise, we will be slaves for the rest of your life.