House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

Dutch Government To Ban Tourists From Cannabis Shops

link

The Dutch government on Friday said it would start banning tourists from buying cannabis from "coffee shops" and impose restrictions on Dutch customers by the end of the year.

The Netherlands is well known for having one of Europe's most liberal soft drug policies that has made its cannabis shops a popular tourist attraction, particularly in Amsterdam.

Backed by the far-right party of anti-immigrant politician Geert Wilders, the coalition government that came into power last year announced plans to curb drug tourism as part of a nationwide program to promote health and fight crime.

"In order to tackle the nuisance and criminality associated with coffee shops and drug trafficking, the open-door policy of coffee shops will end," the Dutch health and justice ministers wrote in a letter to the country's parliament on Friday.

Under the new rules, only Dutch residents will be able to sign up as members of cannabis shops.

Dutch customers will have to sign up for at least a year's membership and each shop would be expected to have only up to 1,500 members, a justice ministry spokesman said.

The policy will roll out in the southern provinces of Limburg, Noord Brabant and Zeeland by the end of the year and the rest of the country next year, the spokesman said.

Amsterdam, home to about 220 coffee shops, is already in the process of closing some in its red light district. Some officials have resisted the measures, saying they will push the soft drug trade underground.

Some Dutch border towns including Maastricht and Terneuzen have already restricted the sale of marijuana to foreigners.

So much for the tolerant Dutch. What next?

Ban on prostitution?

Is it my imagination, or does Paul Whitehouse's 'Dutch' accent sound more South African?

Apart from some very minor grammatical differences (e.g. the present tense of a verb doubling as the infinitive), the two are virtually identical. The difference between the English typically spoken in New York and Newcastle is probably greater than standard Dutch and Afrikaans.

I attend the IBC conference every year in September in Amsterdam. I actually booked 5 rooms for me and collegues just this morning. When IBC (Broadcasters Conference) is on the whole city is booked out.

Even though it`s always gone on, the last couple of years has seen a massive increase in Eastern Europeans and Africans selling cocaine/ecstasy quite openly. Really, really pushy feckers.

The hassle factor is really becoming tiresome and can be intimidating for women and our younger staff.

Part of the fun was getting stoned once a year in a coffee shop :lol: ...

I have been going for the last 19 years and you really can notice the change in atmosphere from a couple of years back. I hear more and more reports of people we know being mugged. Maybe i`m just getting older.

Plenty of great memories though.

There has been talk over the past couple of years that the Conference will be moved to Barcelona. I hope that happens.

It's idiotic nonsense, because no tourist will have to go without wackybacky, and the local dealers will love the new monopoly on hash sales. In fact, this new rule will attract almost as many footpads as there are tourists...

It could be a clever ploy to make people(stoners) think they had best go one last time (and pump some money into the economy) before they can't do it anymore.......only for them to reverse the decision at the end of the year