House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ad_Ceng

Twitter And Facebook Help

Evening Gents

I have spent the last few months developing a website to use twitter and social networking to help the police appeal for information and recovered lost and stolen goods, items people etc.

Its live at www.tweetathief.com. I could really do with some help getting followers of both on twitter and likes on facebook. Is this something you guys might be able to help me out with, we have a meeting with our members of parliament and he is really behind the idea so it would be great if we could have get more people following us.

links are

Facebook

twitter

Cheers Gents

Ad

Yes we have heard of crimestoppers we are operating in a different area to that as they do not do lost and stolen things typically.

There are a few sites like this none of which have the social network integration we have or the idea of creating user interaction.

Guest eight

Evening Gents

I have spent the last few months developing a website to use twitter and social networking to help the police appeal for information and recovered lost and stolen goods, items people etc.

Its live at www.tweetathief.com. I could really do with some help getting followers of both on twitter and likes on facebook. Is this something you guys might be able to help me out with, we have a meeting with our members of parliament and he is really behind the idea so it would be great if we could have get more people following us.

links are

Facebook

twitter

Cheers Gents

Ad

I think you'll find the police don't give a toss about lost or stolen goods.

eight

Why dont you get the Herts & Essex to run a story on your site, they have for me for one of my programs back in 2002.

Looking at your website just doesnt fill me with any curiousity what so ever. What exactly are you aiming to do?

I dont think its clear enough to be honest, are you more of a tweetathief message service like this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1331714/Twitter-crime-buster-Alex-Wilson-10-helps-convict-thief-snapping-red-handed.html or a lost and found database? Things you need to look at is how to relay essential info as quickly and efficiently as possible so this means your followers dont get loads of messages for something that has a limited geographical coverage not related to where they live. For example, if I live in Scotland then would I be interested in a lost pet from Southend? Likewise would I want to be search a database reguarly? This action could be automated by knowing someones geolocation.

I think you would also find that when you display the TM sign you also need to include your registration number so people can verify it. http://www.ipo.gov.uk/domestic?domesticnum=2573298

Likewise as you are collecting peoples names and addresses in the UK you also need to get an ICO registration. More info here. http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection.aspx

ICO is easier to do than the TM BTW. I dont know how much you have done and what you have outsourced by its a good first effort but I think you need to refine your website, tweak it in places but also clarify what exactly you are aiming to do. :)

PS One other thing as you are storing the data in a sql database, are you sure its secure? Do you know what SQL injection is or what the company you outsourced it to is for example? Do they know how easy it is to hack PHP admins? Some info on the subject. http://php.net/manual/en/security.database.sql-injection.php

All the attempted hack attempts on my webserver is php admin attacks run by script kiddies who have hacked other servers and use them as gateways, so its worth making sure the data is secure.

Thanks for the feedback it is a little different to what I normally do (vhdl, highspeed digital design etc) it was written entirely by myself and my business partner.

We do have a trademark so I will add the number and register with the ICO.

As for the PHP hacks that is one of the things that has worried me the most so I do a lot of checking of text being entered to prevent SQL injection and special characters being used. I do no want o go into to much detail as to how I do it but I do follow most of the ideas suggested on your link and then a few more to be honest.

This is the first time I have done anything web related and it probably shows, the back end coding is not diffiicult but the graphical design and content can be tricky so thanks again for your comments

Tip #1

The image files on your page are huge:

http://www.tweetathief.com/images/tweetathief.jpg

^ The title image for instance is 3829 pixels wide by 867 pixels high and weighs 124kB, but on the homepage it is scaled down to 990px in width.

If you resized it to be 990px wide in your preferred photo editor, the file size would drop to ~30kB or less.

If you do this with all images you would shave nearly 1MB off, and the pages would load much faster (Nicer to your visitors).

(Currently Google Page Speed gives your site a score of 0/100 :o)

-------

Tip #2

Check your pages for HTML errors:

http://validator.w3.org/

Validation isn't essential, but valid code is easier to maintain and is less likely to break, and it's a good way to learn.

------

Tip #3

There's a horizontal scrollbar on the page. Easy fix in your CSS file:

#image a {    color: #0000FF;    font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;    font-size: 30px;    /* left: 300px; */ right: 20px;    position: absolute;    text-decoration: none;    top: 100px;    /* width: 100%; */}

More tips...

Enable GZIP file compression on your server to reduce bandwidth usage.

Enable caching on visitors machines (It means your browser doesn't have to redownload every single image every time you visit a page).

All you need to do is create a file called .htaccess containing the following lines, and upload it to the root directory.

# Enable gzip compression

<FilesMatch "\.(css|js|php)$">

SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

</FilesMatch>

# Cache images and scripts for 1 month (2678400 seconds)

<FilesMatch "\.(swf|css|js|png|jpg|gif|ico)$">

Header set Cache-Control "max-age=2678400, public"

</FilesMatch>

# Cache PHP pages for a week (604800 seconds)

<FilesMatch "\.php$">

Header set Cache-Control "max-age=604800, public"

</FilesMatch>

That is all.