House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

paulm

How To Find The Cheapest Petrol

Hi Guys,

I know this is a little off topic (well maybe it's not - seems we're always talking about petrol and oil on this board!)

Anyway, we built www.ourproperty.co.uk at the beginning of the year to show people what's happening with house prices, and now we felt it was about time we did something with petrol prices.

So, I am proud to announce the (beta) launch of www.petrolprices.com

We have over 11,000 stations listed, with prices at over 8000 of them updated every working day.

It's quite interesting to see the differences in what stations charge who are located just a few miles from each other. The most expensive in my area was 8p a litre more than the cheapest (on unleaded).

Anyway, you guys are the first to be told about the site, so I would be interested to hear your comments and suggestions.

Paul Maunders

Co-Founder & Director

OurProperty.co.uk / Petrolprices.com

Great!

I have been waiting for a site like this ever since the AA closed PetrolBusters.

Do we have to create new logins or can we use our OurProperty.co.uk names?

Hi Guys,

I know this is a little off topic (well maybe it's not - seems we're always talking about petrol and oil on this board!)

Anyway, we built www.ourproperty.co.uk at the beginning of the year to show people what's happening with house prices, and now we felt it was about time we did something with petrol prices.

So, I am proud to announce the (beta) launch of www.petrolprices.com

We have over 11,000 stations listed, with prices at over 8000 of them updated every working day.

It's quite interesting to see the differences in what stations charge who are located just a few miles from each other. The most expensive in my area was 8p a litre more than the cheapest (on unleaded).

Anyway, you guys are the first to be told about the site, so I would be interested to hear your comments and suggestions.

Paul Maunders

Co-Founder & Director

OurProperty.co.uk / Petrolprices.com

I don't really get this....if you fill up a 60 litre tank once a week, you might save about £1 if you get petrol 2p cheaper. That's about £50 a year.

Would you shop around and maybe even travel further to save £1 a week on beer, wine, electricity, clothes?

Probably not.

Do we have to create new logins or can we use our OurProperty.co.uk names?

Hehe, funny you ask that, as we have given it much debate in the office.

Originally we planned to allow people to use their OurProperty.co.uk logins on the site, and in fact up until yesterday you could. However we realised that a lot of people will not remember their password, and because we don't store them in plaintext, we aren't able to send them out to people who have forgotten... rather we have to reset them. We thought if this happens, e.g. people start resetting their password on petrolprices.com, then their logins will stop working on ourproperty.co.uk, and this will cause some people no end of confusing.

So, although we thought it would be a good idea and a lot of people would have found it useful, we decided in the end that it would cause some people too much confusion, and just decided to make a completely seperate user database.

Also, their are some implications, although petrolprices.com, strictly speaking, is not a 3rd party, since we run both sites, we thought that some people would have a problem with us sharing their details accross the sites.

So, the short answer is that you have to create a new login for petrolprices.com.

Sorry if that is an inconvenience, but I hope you understand our reasoning!

Paul

Hehe, funny you ask that, as we have given it much debate in the office.

So, the short answer is that you have to create a new login for petrolprices.com.

Sorry if that is an inconvenience, but I hope you understand our reasoning!

Thanks, it is no real problem - I was just checking before I signed-up.

I don't really get this....if you fill up a 60 litre tank once a week, you might save about £1 if you get petrol 2p cheaper. That's about £50 a year.

Would you shop around and maybe even travel further to save £1 a week on beer, wine, electricity, clothes?

Probably not.

I have a 60 litre tank on my car, and I fill it about once per week.

Looking within just 5 miles of my home:

If i fill it at the most expensive station near me it would cost £58.74 (97.9p a litre)

If i fill it at an average average priced station nearby it would cost £56.94 (94.9p a litre)

If i fill it at the cheapest station near me it would cost £54.54 (90.9p a litre)

So I could be saving potentially up to £4.20 a week (or every time a fill up) which is over £200 a year, just by going to a station which is 2 miles north of my house rather than 2 miles south.

In my opinion people should be trying to be frugal wherever they can in life, so if they can shave even a hundred pounds off their annual fuel bill that is definitely worth doing.

I have a 60 litre tank on my car, and I fill it about once per week.

Looking within just 5 miles of my home:

If i fill it at the most expensive station near me it would cost £58.74 (97.9p a litre)

If i fill it at an average average priced station nearby it would cost £56.94 (94.9p a litre)

If i fill it at the cheapest station near me it would cost £54.54 (90.9p a litre)

So I could be saving potentially up to £4.20 a week (or every time a fill up) which is over £200 a year, just by going to a station which is 2 miles north of my house rather than 2 miles south.

In my opinion people should be trying to be frugal wherever they can in life, so if they can shave even a hundred pounds off their annual fuel bill that is definitely worth doing.

Too right its worth it, you can buy over 6 more pints of beer (from lidl) a week for that. Good job!