House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Hear Anything About Royal Mail

HOLA441
HOLA442

I heard London is going on strike and the union are going to call for a UK wide strike which is 160,000 employees according to Google.

Does this mean our first class post won't arrive next day?

If so, how will we know when the strike ends?

HOLA443
HOLA444

I heard London is going on strike and the union are going to call for a UK wide strike which is 160,000 employees according to Google.

If only we could devise some electronic form of mail then we wouldn't have these problems and postie would be out of a job.

Can anyone suggest a name for this new technology: mail-e perhaps?

HOLA445

If only we could devise some electronic form of mail then we wouldn't have these problems and postie would be out of a job.

They'll be needed to deliver their own P45s to each other.

We moved everything possible to private couriers after their last bout of job suicide.

Unfortunately, for the very small/light stuff RM are still the most cost-effective option but, I don't think this will last forever. Private firms do compete in standard sized letters that can be machine-sorted but' they still tip it back into the RM system for the final mile delivery.

As with snow, it gives the Great British public another opportunity to display their f*cktardedness with regards to delayed delivery of online shopping.

Common complaint during the snow 'My presents I bought haven't arrived yet and I only ordered them from you online cos it was snowing here and I couldn't get to the shops - wish I hadn't bothered now'

HOLA446

Bah, ordered a dvd off play the other day... guess that aint gonna arrive in time for the hols.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest eight

All the postman ever brings these days is bills and junk mail , both of which i don't mind living without :lol:

Funnily enough, was just thinking yesterday that I've only sent one letter in the whole of 2011 - and that was only because somebody insisted on being paid by cheque.

eight

HOLA449

Funnily enough, was just thinking yesterday that I've only sent one letter in the whole of 2011 - and that was only because somebody insisted on being paid by cheque.

eight

A bit off topic, but the recent EU ruling is now making RM put 20% Vat on international mail & special delivery.

This must be hurting export sales for the micro business (non vat registered, under £70K turnover) especially the little online sellers who are getting squeezed from Uk recession, so hoping for more sales abroad.

Vat will soon be applied to some business post like Packetpost & others.

HOLA4410

They'll be needed to deliver their own P45s to each other.

We moved everything possible to private couriers after their last bout of job suicide.

Unfortunately, for the very small/light stuff RM are still the most cost-effective option but, I don't think this will last forever. Private firms do compete in standard sized letters that can be machine-sorted but' they still tip it back into the RM system for the final mile delivery.

As with snow, it gives the Great British public another opportunity to display their f*cktardedness with regards to delayed delivery of online shopping.

Common complaint during the snow 'My presents I bought haven't arrived yet and I only ordered them from you online cos it was snowing here and I couldn't get to the shops - wish I hadn't bothered now'

The trouble is that private companies would only concentrate on the larger conurbations, and not smaller settlements, such as villages & hamlets..

HOLA4411

The trouble is that private companies would only concentrate on the larger conurbations, and not smaller settlements, such as villages & hamlets..

What u on about? The free market will sort all those trifling matters out, donchaknow? ;)

HOLA4412

What u on about? The free market will sort all those trifling matters out, donchaknow? ;)

Indeed. People who decide to live in areas that are expensive to service would pay proportionately, as opposed to being subsidised.

I guess whether that is a good thing or not depends on which side of the equation you fall.

HOLA4413

I'm not sure the universal service obligation for Royal Mail was devised so people in the Outer Hebrides could have a fake designer handbag off ebay delivered for the same price as someone in Central London though.

The private couriers deliver to the UK mainland even inc IOW for a flat rate. It's only really highlands and islands and NI there's a substantial extra cost on and really you wouldn't expect them to deliver to France for the same cost.

Pallet delivery networks do split the country into far more zones and price accordingly but they're the only service I can think of where such regional variation occurs.

HOLA4414

Archived