House Price Crash Forum

Irish Ferries Fire Irish Employees

HOLA441

This is headline news in Ireland at the moment - Irish Ferries have decided to fire 550 Irish staff and replace them with E European agency workers to cut costs. When I was doing some work for an Irish company last year, I discovered 90% of the several hundred manual workers had been shipped in from E Europe. You'll even find this kind of thing in economically depressed areas.

Just think of the impact on the local economy-housing market - loads more jobs paying below minimum wage salaries (after expenses for caravan / portakabin bunk-bed, etc, have been deducted - not offically).

G

HOLA442
This is headline news in Ireland at the moment - Irish Ferries have decided to fire 550 Irish staff and replace them with E European agency workers to cut costs. When I was doing some work for an Irish company last year, I discovered 90% of the several hundred manual workers had been shipped in from E Europe. You'll even find this kind of thing in economically depressed areas.

Just think of the impact on the local economy-housing market - loads more jobs paying below minimum wage salaries (after expenses for caravan / portakabin bunk-bed, etc, have been deducted - not offically).

G

Ireland is in for a thumping great crash. I hope the sacked staff get up off their **** and do something. However , if they complain too much the owners and politicians will accuse them of racism.

The bosses and politicians have learned to appropriate the ideas and language of the left to keep people in their place and prevent dissent.

HOLA443

Tight fisted bears often bragg how cheaply they managed to obtain a flight, travel, hotel etc.

If you want cheap, you need cheap workers.

HOLA444
Tight fisted bears often bragg how cheaply they managed to obtain a flight, travel, hotel etc.

If you want cheap, you need cheap workers.

i watched roger and me yesterday by Michael Moore and although it was made about 15 years ago its still very relevant.

They closed down all the General Motors factories in Flint , Michigan laying off 30,000 workers.

The politics of wether or not GM should or should not have laif off the workers is irrelevant now.

What wasnt irrelevant was what happened afterwards in Flint . Michigan.

Thousands of workers were evicted frmo their homes.

Crime went through the roof.

Taco Bell retrained skilled car workers to flip burgers . The prison service started recruiting heavily and they built a massive 5 storey jailhouse to cater for all the new inmates.

In short the place went to the dogs and the rich snapped up lots of cheap properties.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

They had a 'share the wealth' campaign a few years back and now they've got this 'rip-off Ireland' media led campaign underway. Ireland has 'exported' its more radical elements for many years, so I doubt much will be done. There a strong words coming through from the politicians on the Irish Ferries story though.

One thing I have noticed in the Republic of Ireland is that there is mounting racial tension - on a recent visit, I heard people having racist abuse screamed at them in the street on several separate occasions - never seen that before.

HOLA448
Ireland is in for a thumping great crash. I hope the sacked staff get up off their **** and do something. However , if they complain too much the owners and politicians will accuse them of racism.

Well said that man !

This is what i get on here when i warn of the danger from all them left-wing thugs that think they know better

Edited by Justice

HOLA449
now they've got this 'rip-off Ireland' media led campaign underway.

This drives me mad.

For years we had Anne Robinson telling us all to shop - around and beat prices down (whilst she took massive amounts from Tax payers in BBC wages).

Tight fisted UK consumers then demanded lower prices, hey presto jobs go abroad or to migrant workers. WHAT DID YOU ALL EXPECT?

Lots of u on this forum brag how cheapely u sourced a DVD and bypassed Dixons / Currys. It is you that drives employers to seek cheap labour.

HOLA4410
Well said that man !

This is what i get on here when i warn of the danger from all them left-wing thugs that think they know better

The bosses and politicians have learned to appropriate the ideas and language of the left to keep people in their place and prevent dissent.

Labour are fantastic at this sort of garbage.

This country no longer wants or needs me. That is clear.

I am a troublemaker. Always have been. I ranted and raved against every single one of Blairs wars.

Got stitched up by Barclays bank over my big mouth and my refusal to observe a 2 minutes silence (Labour have these every other week now),

What Labour and the CBI both want are compliant foreigners who will work cheaply without ever complaining and will also vote Labour at the next election.

why wouldnt they vote Labour ? why would the complain at working for 4 or 5 pounds an hour ?

HOLA4411
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Tight fisted UK consumers then demanded lower prices, hey presto jobs go abroad or to migrant workers. WHAT DID YOU ALL EXPECT?

Well I`ve just bought a British made vacuum cleaner at a fair price, made by British workers and what first class workmanship.

Better than that expensive popular one made abroad which is renowned for its breakdowns.

Made the chest stick out with pride.

<_<

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
This drives me mad.

For years we had Anne Robinson telling us all to shop - around and beat prices down (whilst she took massive amounts from Tax payers in BBC wages).

Lots of u on this forum brag how cheapely u sourced a DVD and bypassed Dixons / Currys. It is you that drives employers to seek cheap labour.

some fair points but it was more the desire of corporations to make huge profits and the desire of shareholders to get huge dividends that caused corporations to offshore.

if you are a shareholder and you only care bout what levelthe FTSE is at then you have no moral right to complain at anything that big business do to make a profit.

ditch all your shares that are not in ethical companies that treat their employees well and invest at home rather than in sweat shops abroad.

learn to ignore the FTSE

then you will have won the right to complain at the actions of big business..

not before.

HOLA4414
Well I`ve just bought a British made vacuum cleaner at a fair price, made by British workers and what first class workmanship.

Better than that expensive popular one made abroad which is renowned for its breakdowns.

<_<

Charlie, that's twice you've mentioned this hoover now!

Go on, I can't wait any longer. What kind is it?

Is it that one with a smiley face and a long 'nose' tube that cleaning ladies in offices use?

HOLA4415

It’s not a case of cheap but more a case of inflating profit for Tesco and the like who lobby MP’s to ensure we get more immigrants so they can pay less wages and so make more money whilst Blair get a whole load more labour voters, not to mention the big brown envelopes from industrial leaders.

Must be careful what I say else I’ll get arrested under the terrorist laws

:ph34r:

HOLA4416

<_<

Top man Charles.

The irony of my position as a right winger (not whinger) is that I am and have always been a staunch advocate of buy Brittish. My more left leaning freinds on the other hand always seemed to buy based on price, and considered me an old fashioned protectionist.

Those same lefties now decry offshoring. 20 years ago (6th form) I was saying this was enevitable but no one was interested. I recall my very leftwing economics teacher saying I was zenophophic in my purchasing habits. That same ecomomics teacher expounded on the rights and conditions of workers, arguing ever more regulation was the answer.

It is people like my economics teacher that have been the catalyist for offshoring.

BTW I hate Dysons too - classic case of theory that doesnt work in the real world.

HOLA4417
It’s not a case of cheap but more a case of inflating profit for Tesco and the like who lobby MP’s to ensure we get more immigrants so they can pay less wages and so make more money whilst Blair get a whole load more labour voters, not to mention the big brown envelopes from industrial leaders.

Must be careful what I say else I’ll get arrested under the terrorist laws

:ph34r:

allo allo what ave we ere then

clearly a case of a malcontent stirrin up unrest and pokin 'is nose in where it dont belong,

off to the nick with you.

well decide what to do with you in about 3 months time.

spare a thought for us umble coppers.

runnin a police state aint easy you know .

HOLA4418
ditch all your shares that are not in ethical companies that treat their employees well and invest at home rather than in sweat shops abroad.

I agree with you absolutely.

I support british business whenever I can, do you? Or do you buy French apples, Chinese DVDs & toys, Japanese HI FI.

The 'Which'? organisation is brimming with hairey liberals advising everyone to demand lowest price. How ironic that this feeds the offshoring habit.

I buy local food as much as possible. Do you? Or are you a cost monger?

I find most lefties to be very penny pinching and seek out lowest cost.

I wonder if British union leaders go out of thier way to buy British like I (a right winger) do.

HOLA4419
I agree with you absolutely.

I support british business whenever I can, do you? Or do you buy French apples, Chinese DVDs & toys, Japanese HI FI.

The 'Which'? organisation is brimming with hairey liberals advising everyone to demand lowest price. How ironic that this feeds the offshoring habit.

I buy local food as much as possible. Do you? Or are you a cost monger?

I find most lefties to be very penny pinching and seek out lowest cost.

I wonder if British union leaders go out of thier way to buy British like I (a right winger) do.

why are you ignoring the most obvious factor in offshoring - the desire for corporations to make huge profits and pay their greedy shareholders ?

why are you not mentioning this ?

HOLA4420
why are you ignoring the most obvious factor in offshoring - the desire for corporations to make huge profits and pay their greedy shareholders ?

why are you not mentioning this ?

Shareholders provide capital to create and sustain productive businesses.

They seek the best returns for their capital.

In this way precious capital is allocated automatically in the most efficient way.

It's good for everyone that shareholders are 'greedy'.

HOLA4421
Guest Bart of Darkness

Are you sure you've got the right forum old chap?

We mostly talk about houses and gold here.

Or do you buy French apples, Chinese DVDs & toys, Japanese HI FI.

With apples you do at least get the option of buying British. Most electronic stuff just isn't made here anymore.

BTW, as a British business myself, I welcome any support I can get.

HOLA4422
What Labour and the CBI both want are compliant foreigners who will work cheaply without ever complaining and will also vote Labour at the next election.

why wouldnt they vote Labour ? why would the complain at working for 4 or 5 pounds an hour ?

1. because they have no right to vote unless they are UK citizens

2. because 99.999% of them don't give a **** about British politics

3. because 99.999% of them came to the UK/Ireland to earn some cash and will go back home after a couple of years in the UK/Ireland

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

If you care about the country you should not buy inferior products just because they were made here. Exposing our businesses to the reality of worldwide competition is the only way to make them competitive. Shielding them from reality by buying British just because of the flag (it has been tried before, many, many times) always leads to failure. It should be a treasonable offence.

There is something deeply complacent and crap in our national makeup. Mediocre is always good enough. Don't encourage it.

HOLA4425