House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
exiges

Council Waste Continues

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/council-spending/8542909/Councils-spend-100m-on-taxpayer-funded-credit-cards.html

Despite being ordered to cut spending by almost 30 per cent, town hall chiefs have continued to lavish hundreds of thousands of pounds on dinners at Michelin-starred restaurants, leisure trips and expensive gifts including iPads and video games while slashing jobs and scrapping front-line services.

An investigation by The Daily Telegraph has uncovered details of apparently questionable spending decisions by councillors and local government officials, with more than £2 million spent on travel over the last three years, including flights to Thailand, Kenya and Bermuda.

Documents obtained by this newspaper show that the councils spent £2m on hotel bills, including stays at the famous Four Seasons in New York, the five-star Pan Pacific in Singapore, and the Athens Hilton.

Edited by exiges

Foi requests needed for number of events where meals are served and the cyst.

Tons of posh dinners going on still from what I hear

they deserve the best dontchaknow.

I've spent the best part of an hour searching this site and google for an excellent comment/information from a poster on here. To no avail.

Basically, it was a phrase or idiom that arose from the name of a senate in the USA last century that deliberately closed the parks in some sort of retaliation for getting less money because of government cuts. Im sure it was on Wikipedia too?

Please! Can someone help me out? Thanks.

I've spent the best part of an hour searching this site and google for an excellent comment/information from a poster on here. To no avail.

Basically, it was a phrase or idiom that arose from the name of a senate in the USA last century that deliberately closed the parks in some sort of retaliation for getting less money because of government cuts. Im sure it was on Wikipedia too?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/13/BAL61JG0QO.DTL#ixzz1MQzkkI6w

http://www.care2.com/causes/environment/blog/california-will-close-up-to-70-state-parks-to-save-money/

Edited by thecrashingisles

Washington Monument?

My local council is basically a sporting/leisure enterprise competing with the likes of Ballantynes and Fitness First, with just a few council duties tacked on. These gyms contain state of the art equipment that would put many that I had used in London, to shame.The local park renovation was financed by the lottery, after the council let if fall into total disrepair.

I stopped using them (Subscription £33 per month) as was constantly being told by staff that they didn't know how long they would keep the pools opening due to "evil Tory cuts." You don't get that with a private gym.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/council-spending/8542909/Councils-spend-100m-on-taxpayer-funded-credit-cards.html

Despite being ordered to cut spending by almost 30 per cent, town hall chiefs have continued to lavish hundreds of thousands of pounds on dinners at Michelin-starred restaurants, leisure trips and expensive gifts including iPads and video games while slashing jobs and scrapping front-line services.

An investigation by The Daily Telegraph has uncovered details of apparently questionable spending decisions by councillors and local government officials, with more than £2 million spent on travel over the last three years, including flights to Thailand, Kenya and Bermuda.

Documents obtained by this newspaper show that the councils spent £2m on hotel bills, including stays at the famous Four Seasons in New York, the five-star Pan Pacific in Singapore, and the Athens Hilton.

Article says that they don't reveal cc expenditure under £500 and that 'many more millions' may be involved.

Anyone would think £500 was an insignificant amount. To councils, maybe it is.

When they're spending other people's money they should be accountable for every last penny.

Guest eight

Article says that they don't reveal cc expenditure under £500 and that 'many more millions' may be involved.

Anyone would think £500 was an insignificant amount. To councils, maybe it is.

When they're spending other people's money they should be accountable for every last penny.

Try rounding your council tax bill to the nearest £500 and see how far you get.

eight

Thanks to everyone that responded and extra thanks to 'the shaping machine', that was the link I was after! My sanity is restored, I thought I imagined it all.