House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shaunandelly

Turn Out The Lights

The phrase "would the last person out please turn off the lights" seems to be in effect now. Noticed the other week down the M1 below Leicester a sign saying "no lights between midnight and 5.00am". Also sections of the M65 and M6 up nr Wigan the same. Get yer night vision goggles out.

Wish they'd turn the ******* things off here. I hate, loath, despise that murky orange colour the sky is most nights now...

Seems a good idea. Car's have decent lighting these days. Do we really need all night street lighting. Must be costing a fortune!

Seems a good idea. Car's have decent lighting these days. Do we really need all night street lighting. Must be costing a fortune!

I think it just uses up excess capacity. They should use it to produce hydrogen or something instead of light pollution

I think it just uses up excess capacity. They should use it to produce hydrogen or something instead of light pollution

Yeh I'm sure there is a limit to how many power stations you can switch off. But I'm sure there is a better alternative to lighting up the sky's.

Not seen the Milky Way since my last trip to France!

All vehicles are fitted with a magical device called a Headlight. It can be used on full beam or dipped.

Driving since 1960 in the early days street lights were only seen in busy residential areas.

GGMS today they have to have their hands held to stop the bogeyman of the night snatching them. :D

Yes, you can use your car's headlights to see the road, but it will fatigue the driver quicker, the field of vision is much smaller and the cost of just one serious accident easily wipes out years of saving, not to mention the problems the emergency services have dealing with a situation in the pitch dark.

Besides that, as another poster said: at night, there is lots of space capacity, so if people are serious about 'energy saving' this is when to run the dw and wm, or to roast that piece of cold meat you want for pickings next week.

There really is too much street lighting nowadays. I think it should be restricted to town centres! :huh:

I'm not sure how some people would survive if they took a trip into the country where there are no street lamps. Whats wrong with using headlights on the motorway?

They should turn the street lights off everywhere where there aren't pedestrians at, say, midnight.

There really is too much street lighting nowadays. I think it should be restricted to town centres!

Would that include any residential areas?

I'm sure that when I was a young kid in the '50's, that they turned the street lights off, in residential areas too, at midnight. Why we need bright light all the time is a mystery to me.:unsure:

The good news is that if you're into stargazing, all this turning off of street lights will make it so much more satisfying.:)

I'm sure that when I was a young kid in the '50's, that they turned the street lights off, in residential areas too, at midnight. Why we need bright light all the time is a mystery to me.:unsure:

The good news is that if you're into stargazing, all this turning off of street lights will make it so much more satisfying.:)

I'll bet a man used to come round with a pole and switch the gas lights off! :lol:

Because without those lights, many more accidents will happen, that's why.

Think about the mental effort drivers have to make when they are just using their headlights just to understand the terrain they are in, and how small the area is that is illuminated by their car lights.

Moreover, driving is tedious and repetetive and people's concentration is already belaboured as is, and problems don't build up slowly, but accidents happen when there is s split second of inattention, or perhaps something on the road etc etc.

When your car goes into accident spin, having extra lights on the road really really helps to make the best (and often lifesaving) decision in a split second of where you're going to steer to[1], and after your car has stopped, streetlights help others not to run you over, and also, they help you orient yourself on how to climb out of the wreckage and help others.

(can you tell I've been in some nasty motorway accidents? I survived 4 so far(2 major pile-ups, 2 'minor' prangs), and I live to tell the tale (and write the flame) because there was light on the m-way. And I was able to save other people's lives, because the light meant I could see what I was doing and what needed to be done, and I could communicate much easier with other helpers too.

[1] For example, you would not trivally see a ditch or other obstacles on the side of the road if you just rely on headlights and think that veering onto the verge is a good move. And so on.

Because without those lights, many more accidents will happen, that's why.

Think about the mental effort drivers have to make when they are just using their headlights just to understand the terrain they are in, and how small the area is that is illuminated by their car lights.

Moreover, driving is tedious and repetetive and people's concentration is already belaboured as is, and problems don't build up slowly, but accidents happen when there is s split second of inattention, or perhaps something on the road etc etc.

When your car goes into accident spin, having extra lights on the road really really helps to make the best (and often lifesaving) decision in a split second of where you're going to steer to[1], and after your car has stopped, streetlights help others not to run you over, and also, they help you orient yourself on how to climb out of the wreckage and help others.

(can you tell I've been in some nasty motorway accidents? I survived 4 so far(2 major pile-ups, 2 'minor' prangs), and I live to tell the tale (and write the flame) because there was light on the m-way. And I was able to save other people's lives, because the light meant I could see what I was doing and what needed to be done, and I could communicate much easier with other helpers too.

[1] For example, you would not trivally see a ditch or other obstacles on the side of the road if you just rely on headlights and think that veering onto the verge is a good move. And so on.

Perhaps the headlights on my car are partlcularly good. I drive around on the Isle of Wight, most of which doesn't have streetlights except in the towns. I can see the verges, ditches, etc. As to motorway driving at night without street lights - how difficult can it be?:rolleyes:

I'll bet a man used to come round with a pole and switch the gas lights off! :lol:

:lol::lol:

I believe they still do in some parts of the City of London.:o

All vehicles are fitted with a magical device called a Headlight. It can be used on full beam or dipped.

Driving since 1960 in the early days street lights were only seen in busy residential areas.

GGMS today they have to have their hands held to stop the bogeyman of the night snatching them. :D

There are things called daylight MOTs which are common for banger racing and motorbike racing.

Also lights CAN and do fail! I remember New Years day 3am riding home on the M62, the bike sounded funny. I then noticed the headlamp starting to get weak. I realised the bike was running total loss. So turned off the headlamps and rode under motorway lights and got within 200 metres of home when it conked out.

I have had personal experience of whacking road debris on an unlit motorway and so did the half a dozen other vehicles pulled up with punctures etc. I was lucky.no damage. Others varied from punctures to radiators spewing out coolant. A roadworks signage van had dropped a few of those big metal triangle signs in the carriageway. Even at sub 70mph speeds headlights were not enough to pick up and avoid that nasty little present.

one of the reasons they give for leaving streetlights on in residential areas is it may deter criminals more if the area is illuminated rather than pitch black.That is probably true but if everyone just had a basic alarm installed that issue would not arise.

Yes, you can use your car's headlights to see the road, but it will fatigue the driver quicker...

I agree with this completely and utterly. During the winter I drive probably three or four times up and down the M1 in the dark visiting relatives in south London. The section from the North Circular to Leicester-ish (lit all the way) is always less stressful than the stretch from Leicester to the A64 junction. Streetlit roads also lessen the eyestrain caused by wänkers in BMWs with xenon headlights.

I suppose there is a benchmark level of traffic density below which it's not worth keeping streetlights on in the middle of the night, but IMO it should be pretty low.

I agree with this completely and utterly. During the winter I drive probably three or four times up and down the M1 in the dark visiting relatives in south London. The section from the North Circular to Leicester-ish (lit all the way) is always less stressful than the stretch from Leicester to the A64 junction. Streetlit roads also lessen the eyestrain caused by wänkers in BMWs with xenon headlights.

I suppose there is a benchmark level of traffic density below which it's not worth keeping streetlights on in the middle of the night, but IMO it should be pretty low.

I too make this journey at night, or very early morning but from further up the M1, from Yorkshire, which is even more unlit.

One solution is to drive slower! Also, after a while you get used to it.

There is an incredibly brightly lit stretch on the newly widened bit between Derbyshire and Nottingham, coming out of that, going North becomes a bit of a shock. Shame they can't taper the luminance off more.

Of course as you get to London and M25 outskirts its like daylight.

So I think people are wanting more illumination so they can drive like bats out of hell. But some drivers, drive like that in heavy rain, snow and even ice. Motorists are generally a selfish idiotic group of individuals, with an overbearing sense of entitlement.

There really is too much street lighting nowadays. I think it should be restricted to town centres! :huh:

I agree, what is wrong with wearing a reflective jacket when out walking at night....offers protection in more ways than one. ;)

Maybe they should just switch off every other light or switch off 2 out of 3 or whatever is considered best for any particular route. Or reduce the brightness or a combination.

Then there'd still be a reasonable level of lighting along with vehicle headlights and it would also make allowance for reduced traffic density very late at night and it would also save a good amount of energy.

Motorways haven't always been lit. Apparently the first significant stretch of lighting was London to Luton in about 1971 - about 30 miles in length and the motorway system was already hundreds of miles long even then.

Don't tell me - they've designed and wired all the different sections of lighting on a one off all off basis or something.

What about replacing the sodium lamps with super bright LEDs?

Sodium lights are usually highly energy efficient.

Also LED lights seem to produce a lot of glare. Look at the new traffic lights or the advertisements in Picadilly Circuse. Brighter than the sun at midnight!

Came back on a particular bit of bad unlit motorway tonight and reckoned that my dipped beam pattern was about 6/8 yards out. We are talking fields either side and no lights in the vicinity. Moon is gonna make the difference here. Picking up white lines at the side to 20/25 yards. apparently the safe stopping distance is the thick end of 100 yards at 70 mph. So......in these days of elf 'n safety how does that 'appen ? B4 any body suggests it, I reckon you'd have to be doing sub 20 mph to get down to 6/8 yards.Which creates another problem entirely.