House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

What Spending Cuts? Pm Splashes Out £680K Of Your Money On Downing Street

Have you been on the dizzy water tonight..?! :lol:

Haha, no I wasn't. There's a distinction between normal people who happen to be conservative supporters and Tory-boy bigots of which there seem to be a preponderance on here.

I know it's difficult but do try to use a bit of brain power.

I think he needs sleep.

I'm not even pro-Tory. I just get annoyed with people who tend to vote Labour ignoring the complete and utter mess that they cause every time they get near power as long as they keep the 'evil Tories' out.

No party has effectively managed the economy for the last 30-40 years. Not Labour. Not the Conservatives. And now the Libs are having a bash at being shyte at it too.

No party has effectively managed the economy for the last 30-40 years. Not Labour. Not the Conservatives. And now the Libs are having a bash at being shyte at it too.

That is probably because one lot have to spend their first term sorting out the mess of the last lot. Apart from one Gordon Brown, who inherited a fairly decent legacy from Kenneth Clark

That is probably because one lot have to spend their first term sorting out the mess of the last lot. Apart from one Gordon Brown, who inherited a fairly decent legacy from Kenneth Clark

You are joking. Fiscally the last Tory government were doing ok off the back of a natural upswing in the economic cycle. But they left the country with decaying infrastructure, schools and hospitals. They wasted billions on the futile attempt to keep us in the ERM. They presided over a series of cack-handed privatisations that have cost the country billions. They introduced the PFI framework to this country. They grew the state. They failed to regulate the finance sector. They were interventionist in the industrial economy but in a way that added no value. They presided over boom and bust, a housing and credit bubble. They were at the centre of sleaze and corruption scandals.

In short they made every fecking mistake in the book. Just like Labour did last time. This country has been broken for decades, since the 70s. And we can argue toill the cows come home but the fact is no government has done anything to fix that. It's got worse with every parliament and at the core of it is all is sustained industrial failure which no government has tackled.

Edited by needsleep

There's a distinction between normal people who happen to be conservative supporters and Tory-boy bigots.

Indeed there is, and I'm glad you recognise that. I do love how 'normal' people are Conservatives and bigots are apparently Tories though.. that's really quite cute.

Do you have a special name for Labour bigots too?

You are joking. Fiscally the last Tory government were doing ok off the back of a natural upswing in the economic cycle. But they left the country with decaying infrastructure, schools and hospitals. They wasted billions on the futile attempt to keep us in the ERM. They presided over a series of cack-handed privatisations that have cost the country billions. They introduced the PFI framework to this country. They grew the state.

Let me stop you there.. :lol:

ukgs_line.jpg

As a bit of homework would you care to line up the periods where the public sector grew against the political party in power at the time?

Edited by libspero

Indeed there is, and I'm glad you recognise that. I do love how 'normal' people are Conservatives and bigots are apparently Tories though.. that's really quite cute.

Do you have a special name for Labour bigots too?

Let me stop you there.. :lol:

ukgs_line.jpg

As a bit of homework would you care to line up the periods where the public sector grew against the political party in power at the time?

Your graph shows combined local and central expenditure. Nice try but no banana.

Labour bigots? Do you mean like Gillian Duffy? What do I call her? Your girlfriend.

You are joking. Fiscally the last Tory government were doing ok off the back of a natural upswing in the economic cycle. But they left the country with decaying infrastructure, schools and hospitals. They wasted billions on the futile attempt to keep us in the ERM. They presided over a series of cack-handed privatisations that have cost the country billions. They introduced the PFI framework to this country. They grew the state. They failed to regulate the finance sector. They were interventionist in the industrial economy but in a way that added no value. They presided over boom and bust, a housing and credit bubble. They were at the centre of sleaze and corruption scandals.

In short they made every fecking mistake in the book. Just like Labour did last time. This country has been broken for decades, since the 70s. And we can argue toill the cows come home but the fact is no government has done anything to fix that. It's got worse with every parliament and at the core of it is all is sustained industrial failure which no government has tackled.

Probably the most sensible, agreeable post I have seen on here in a long time.

Probably the most sensible, agreeable post I have seen on here in a long time.

Your graph shows combined local and central expenditure. Nice try but no banana.

Labour bigots? Do you mean like Gillian Duffy? What do I call her? Your girlfriend.

Very evasive.. but ok.

If there's no sensible argument to be had here it's probably best we both call it a day. A "your mum's a poo-poo head" debate could get a bit tedious.

Edited by libspero

Tbh, when you have important dignateries visiting there all the time, it needs to be in good nick!

There are worse ways to spend the money, like a million on a employment tribunial for a council leader who ed balls sacked!

And he was completely right when he did. It's only one set of Judges that think different. The previous lot upheld his decision.

That woman is a typical high ranking official who would have taken most of the credit if her department had been praised but when the SHTF she tries to wash her hands of not just part but all of the responsibility.

Her comments in the press tell you all you need to know about her.

It's a shame HPC is so tory and doesn't concentrate on what it's supposed to be about - simple home ownership for all. Not 'I'm all right Jack - once I get my hands on a house... and then wait for it to go up in value so I can change my tune'. This very thread shows how tunes have been changed.

As I started to read that paragraph I almost thought you had fallen for the lie that this site is about unfair and inflated house prices.

Then I realised that you were not fooled, or at least not any more. This site is largely a home for cash rich speculators making or trying to make a killing on the housing market "when the time is right".

Some of them have been waiting, so far in vain, for rather a long time. <_<

Yes, when John Major became PM he had to, with Clark's help, sort out the dreadful mess left by the previous PM. :lol:

The last Tory government presided over two recessions the first of which was intentionally started. Who was to blame for the second? Lawson would be my answer. Certainly not the Labour party.

ukgs_line.jpg

Ok. What's that bit from around 1988 to around 1997? Sorry, but you did ask. :lol:

Ok. What's that bit from around 1988 to around 1997? Sorry, but you did ask. :lol:

I'm very glad you asked.. ;)

As you may know there was a speculative stock market bubble half way through Thatcher's term in office (more info here)

Yes, public spending was increased (from a low base level as seen in the previous graph). What is interesting to note, is look at how well prepared we were as a country then, look how much we had to increase our public debt by at that time..

UK-Government-Debt-1980-20161.png

Then compare that with the deficit spending we are having to do now to try to achieve the same thing after 12 years of Labour.

I'm not saying the Tories are perfect.. far from it. But to say that (as a rule) they spend more on public services or that they are more fiscally irresponsible than Labour is ridiculous (IMHO) .

I'm happy to be corrected if someone can present a compelling argument to the contrary :)

Edited by libspero

You lot on here make me laugh.

If Brown or Blair had had this work done, you'd have gone up the wall knocking them. Instead, as it's Cameron, it's 'OK' because it needed it, or it's reasonable, or whatever you like.

Truth is, you've all been suckered in by the media drip-feeding how bad our finances have been because of a bloated public sector, whilst forgetting it was the banks at fault, and siding with the same pair of Cameron and Osbourne who are back-slipping fat notes to the very bankers that got us into this mess.

It's a shame HPC is so tory and doesn't concentrate on what it's supposed to be about - simple home ownership for all. Not 'I'm all right Jack - once I get my hands on a house... and then wait for it to go up in value so I can change my tune'. This very thread shows how tunes have been changed.

That has occurred to me several times.I have been in business since 1977 and overall I have done ok - apart from 1980 and now.On both occasions that business has suffered catestrophic collapse we have had Tories in charge.Fortunately for me I have had 30 years to build up a war chest but now I am drawing stumps.I will be 60 next year and enough is enough.But I can't think that it can be good for the economy in general,certainly not for the two employees I have been forced to let go.

What is that huge peak around 1975 and that almost as huge peak around 2008?

That has occurred to me several times.I have been in business since 1977 and overall I have done ok - apart from 1980 and now.On both occasions that business has suffered catestrophic collapse we have had Tories in charge.Fortunately for me I have had 30 years to build up a war chest but now I am drawing stumps.I will be 60 next year and enough is enough.But I can't think that it can be good for the economy in general,certainly not for the two employees I have been forced to let go.

1980 and now, both followed catestrophic Labour governments.

I'm very glad you asked.. ;)

As you may know there was a speculative stock market bubble half way through Thatcher's term in office (more info here)

Yes, public spending was increased (from a low base level as seen in the previous graph). What is interesting to note, is look at how well prepared we were as a country then, look how much we had to increase our public debt by at that time..

Then compare that with the deficit spending we are having to do now to try to achieve the same thing after 12 years of Labour.

I'm not saying the Tories are perfect.. far from it. But to say that (as a rule) they spend more on public services or that they are more fiscally irresponsible than Labour is ridiculous (IMHO) .

I'm happy to be corrected if someone can present a compelling argument to the contrary :)

I don't you'll be corrected, good post.

The Camerons themselves spent tens of thousands of pounds on their apartment. The kitchen from design company Roundhouse cost at least £25,000 while the sofaworkshop ‘Fancy Nancy’ sofa was more than £1,400.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391631/PM-splashes-680k-YOUR-money-Downing-Street.html#ixzz1Ns1w3swN

It seems the apartment bit was their own money. Strange to spend all that money and end up with what looks like cheap tat from Ikea!

It seems to me that this graph shows a pretty steady up and down pattern a bit like the tide coming in and going out until the credit crunch hit. It is without doubt to me that general public expenditure was broadly the same for both the Tories and Labour up till that point.

The last part of the graph is caused by the way the government reacted to the crunch....the massive bank bailout. That's the reason whether anyone likes it or not and the same applies to the fact that it was a worldwide crisis.

It's up to you how you divide up the blame for the crunch and how you view the response that came from not just our government but all leading governments. The one thing that is not proven by that graph is that there is any major difference between different government's ability to balance the books over anything more than a few years at a time. Certainly not a big enough difference to either save or destroy this country's economy.

Edited by Nickolarge