House Price Crash Forum
crash2006

What Spending Cuts? Pm Splashes Out £680K Of Your Money On Downing Street

What spending cuts? PM splashes out £680k of YOUR money on Downing Street

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391631/PM-splashes-680k-YOUR-money-Downing-Street.html#ixzz1Nc7dvutn

Just love it, he spend tax payer money, he gives tax payer money away yet it put up the taxs for the tax payers and doesnt give anything back to them.

We are all in this together !! like fuk we are!!

You too can shop at OKA Direct.

Other prime ministers have also taken advantage of the annual maintenance budget for their personal accommodation, which rose from £25,000 to £30,000 this year.

[...snip...]

The Camerons themselves spent tens of thousands of pounds on their apartment. The kitchen from design company Roundhouse cost at least £25,000 while the sofaworkshop ‘Fancy Nancy’ sofa was more than £1,400.

The minimalist interior acts as a showcase for other furniture from the Prime Minister’s mother-in-law’s store, Okadirect.com.

Good old Maggie never bothered doing up Downing Street:

downingstreet-thatcher1--a.jpg

http://www.hellomaga...cher-cameron/1/

Not so sure about that. They have constant problems with what is a Grade 1 building. I know Prime Ministers have had to move out from time to time for major building work. Might have been Heath or Thatcher (can't remember which).

Also the Downing Street flat is rather poky so PM's with families tend to live at Number 11.

I'm sure the Cameron's would have preferred to have stayed at home, however the security bill and inconvenience for neighbours would have immense.

They paid for the new kitchen themselves.

Number 10 sources hit back, pointing out that the programme of work maintenance on Downing Street had been commissioned by the Labour government.

Labour ministers had complained that Downing Street was dilapidated and that no major works had been carried out since the 1960s.

Seems pretty expensive to me for a refurb, is this normal in central London for a high quality refurb?

Provided it's not obscenely over priced for the work done I can't get that excited. It's where we greet and entertain foreign dignitaries.. It has to be half decent. You don't really want a kitchen from Ikea.

Not to mention I like to imagine they have all sorts of chutes and revolving doors leading to the secret underground priministerial command bunker. All that lead and concrete has to cost a pretty penny :D

Edited by libspero

Every little helps push up closer to our date with bankruptcy and the wealth transfer from the paper mugs to the metal bugs, so more power to them! B)

hope you have the guns too.

Seems pretty expensive to me for a refurb, is this normal in central London for a high quality refurb?

Provided it's not obscenely over priced for the work done I can't get that excited. It's where we greet and entertain foreign dignitaries.. It has to be half decent. You don't really want a kitchen from Ikea.

Not to mention I like to imagine they have all sorts of chutes and revolving doors leading to the secret underground priministerial command bunker. All that lead and concrete has to cost a pretty penny :D

The refurb in 1954 cost £500k! unsure.gif

http://www.number10.gov.uk/history-and-tour/history-of-the-building/1945-to-the-present

There was even a proposal to demolish No 10, 11 and 12 entirely and replace with a new building.

Tbh, when you have important dignateries visiting there all the time, it needs to be in good nick!

There are worse ways to spend the money, like a million on a employment tribunial for a council leader who ed balls sacked!

For a Grade I listed building in London, it seems pretty reasonable, even before you consider the quality of finish required for its diplomatic and state functions.

Heck, there's a bunch of hideous grade I listed council flats in Sheffield, that are expected to cost at least £200k each to refurb - and that's before any 'unexpected' materials cost inflation or work overruns.

Edited by ChumpusRex

You lot on here make me laugh.

If Brown or Blair had had this work done, you'd have gone up the wall knocking them. Instead, as it's Cameron, it's 'OK' because it needed it, or it's reasonable, or whatever you like.

Truth is, you've all been suckered in by the media drip-feeding how bad our finances have been because of a bloated public sector, whilst forgetting it was the banks at fault, and siding with the same pair of Cameron and Osbourne who are back-slipping fat notes to the very bankers that got us into this mess.

It's a shame HPC is so tory and doesn't concentrate on what it's supposed to be about - simple home ownership for all. Not 'I'm all right Jack - once I get my hands on a house... and then wait for it to go up in value so I can change my tune'. This very thread shows how tunes have been changed.

The point is though its spending money, on 680k thats 6 figures of VAT, the rest rest of the money filters through on wages and materials, at each stage there is taxation... money is better spent than not spent.

hope you have the guns too.

Guns? Oooh yes please! Where can I buy some? I want a 45 auto, an Ingram with a silencer and a Colt Assault rifle.

Please.

Ah but don't forget spending money on a house is an investment, maybe it will increase the value of Downing Street.

Kirsty says

1: knock the wall through and put laminate flooring down

2: build a walk in shower room

3: put halogen lights in the kitchen

4: twigs

5: more twigs, people are willing to pay more for a house with twigs

6: paint the walls with some neutral colours

7: extra twigs, I cannot stress the importance of twigs enough in contemporary language

Ah but don't forget spending money on a house is an investment, maybe it will increase the value of Downing Street.

Kirsty says

1: knock the wall through and put laminate flooring down

2: build a walk in shower room

3: put halogen lights in the kitchen

4: twigs

5: more twigs, people are willing to pay more for a house with twigs

6: paint the walls with some neutral colours

7: extra twigs, I cannot stress the importance of twigs enough in contemporary language

Im spending 12K at the moment to do up my through lounge, and i thought i was being extravagant B)

Am using the banks money at the mo, which might be taxpayer money at some stage if i cant repay or rollover and need to BK and banks need another bailout :lol:

CRT being replaced with a 55inch 3D flat panel on 12 months interest free, sofa's on 4 years interest free.

Everything else is being slapped on my New Marks and Spencer credit card which is 15 months interest free.

Still the piper needs to be paid at some point, unless i can keep rolling over the debt or BK one day.

You lot on here make me laugh.

If Brown or Blair had had this work done, you'd have gone up the wall knocking them. Instead, as it's Cameron, it's 'OK' because it needed it, or it's reasonable, or whatever you like.

Truth is, you've all been suckered in by the media drip-feeding how bad our finances have been because of a bloated public sector, whilst forgetting it was the banks at fault, and siding with the same pair of Cameron and Osbourne who are back-slipping fat notes to the very bankers that got us into this mess.

It's a shame HPC is so tory and doesn't concentrate on what it's supposed to be about - simple home ownership for all. Not 'I'm all right Jack - once I get my hands on a house... and then wait for it to go up in value so I can change my tune'. This very thread shows how tunes have been changed.

Yep, nothing more than a Tory-boy love-in at times. It's very strange because the last thing most Tories want is a crash in the price of the very asset class that so defines them. If they're wannabe Tories then they need to take a look at themselves because the real free market loving private sector go-getter wouldn't be moping around a message board - they'd be out there bringing in the money. They'd see that the house price bubble was the closest thing to an unrestrained free market we've had in a long time - the paradox is they'd rather have had the state crawling all over the market like the Stasi, just so they could gain an asset they could use to define themselves as a Tory. You couldn't make it up.

For a Grade I listed building in London, it seems pretty reasonable, even before you consider the quality of finish required for its diplomatic and state functions.

Heck, there's a bunch of hideous grade I listed council flats in Sheffield, that are expected to cost at least £200k each to refurb - and that's before any 'unexpected' materials cost inflation or work overruns.

If you're talking about Park Square in Sheffield then it's a bit different. That is about regenerating a neglected area where thousands of people will live and work. Not really like with like is it.

They'd see that the house price bubble was the closest thing to an unrestrained free market we've had in a long time - the paradox is they'd rather have had the state crawling all over the market like the Stasi, just so they could gain an asset they could use to define themselves as a Tory. You couldn't make it up.

Isnt the point of HPC.co.uk about wanting a good old fashioned 'free market' bust.. 50%+ off UK peak prices, after the biggest ever free market property bubble in history.

The house might have needed some renovation but at £680,000 he's been totally and utterly ripped off. The thing is he likely doesn't even realise that he's been ripped off he's so used to splashing out on the taxpayer's money.

But it's not his money it's just the taxpayer. To him it's an open cheque you know.

Edited by billybong