House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OzzMosiz

High Street Moaners

I notice the high street are moaning yet again. Boots saying that it doesn't expect sales to pick up at Xmas etc. How the hell do they know? All seems to come out a week before Interest Rate decisions.

If the BoE drop rates again, I will be moving my money out of this country.

Guest The_Oldie

Let the spin begin :rolleyes:.

Page 2 of today's Mail carries an article with the following header.

"ONLY A RATE CUT CAN HALT THIS SLIDE TO DISASTER"

By Alex Brummer - City Editor.

If rates are cut I will be gutted.

But I will simply dig my "saver" heels in even more and spend even lesss money than I do on the High Street.

That's my plan. I've decided to cut expenditure to the bone. It's actually good fun if you enjoy a challenge!

That's my plan. I've decided to cut expenditure to the bone. It's actually good fun if you enjoy a challenge!

Wearing your underpants inside out when they're dirty is a good tip to save on washing powder. Also, when showering simply reuse the water from your neighbour's overflow pipe! Additionally, save on shoes by using hollowed-out watermelons, and make your own trousers from discarded newspaper. Top tips!

Exactly, for the few savers left. The more IR are cut and the bank saving rates on offer drop, the less expenditure I plan to make up for the loss of interest.

Ditto. I don't intend to spend any money I don't have to spend in the next eighteen months... and particularly not any of the 20k or so of available credit on my credit cards.

That said, on paper I've made about as much in the few weeks since I moved most of my savings into Canadian dollars as I would have earnt in interest on Sterling in a year. Brown and the BoE's mishandling of the UK economy is pathetic.

Edited by MarkG

Guest Charlie The Tramp

Cutting Interest rates will create a catch 22 situation.

The debtors are maxed out and have nothing left to spend.

The Savers seeing their returns falling will be forced to cut back on their spending.

A friend of mine a Retailer has seen a massive drop in CC spending the past year but a healthy increase in cash spending. <_<

Rates will come down, as sure as xmas is coming soon

Even Gordon's cronies voted unanimously to hold rates last time: I don't see a rate cut any time soon, particularly with Blair out for Brown's blood.

Not sure I see a rise any time soon though :).

:D:P:lol:

Classic!

But I like stilettos, HP ... any good tips there?

Hmm, for a large heel you could nail a frozen sweetcorn to a hollowed-out marrow slipper. Just make sure you're home before it melts.

I really hope you're not a burly rugby-playing bloke. :blink:

it is interesting that people on here are now braced for IR falls whereas there used to be reluctance in recognising that the BoE could and would do something so idiotic!

it is interesting that people on here are now braced for IR falls whereas there used to be reluctance in recognising that the BoE could and would do something so idiotic!

We had some faith in the BoE until they went and cut rates when they should have been steady or rising. However, only one of the BoE voters was idiotic enough to vote for a cut that time... and I'm sure he got his ass kicked for it.

Kind of funny in a sad kind of way that the economic future of the country rests on Gordon's cronies and one idiot.

I was talking to a put landlord the other day, she said people using CC and DC had dropped loads, everybody seems to be using cash!

I use my credit card all the time, cause I get cash back, i'd say its almost better then a savings account. I just love reading the estimated interste report on my statment then paying it off before they can claim it... its sooo satifying, and too think retail gets charged for me to use it too. muhhaahha.

Guest The_Oldie
I use my credit card all the time, cause I get cash back, i'd say its almost better then a savings account. I just love reading the estimated interste report on my statment then paying it off before they can claim it... its sooo satifying, and too think retail gets charged for me to use it too. muhhaahha.

I have mine on monthly Direct Debit for the full balance so there's no danger of forgetting and incurring interest charges ;).

I work for Asda, once a year we have a 'double discount day' just before Xmas. (20% off everything instead of the usual 10%). This year we've been told that booze , music and DVD's are not included anymore as they're watching the pennies.

Bugger about the booze! :(

Edit: Then again I suppose I'd rather keep my job than have a few cheap bottles of Baileys.

Edited by libitina