House Price Crash Forum

How To Haggle On Rents

j.z

HOLA441

hello everyone

I'm moving house for the first time and have no idea how to haggle over the rent. i like this house in Wokingham. The asking rent is £1200...how much can I haggle on this I would personally like to pay between 1000 and 1100. how should I deal with the agent on our first viewing and what questions should I be asking him.

advice needed asap!

HOLA442

There is a pinned topic at the top of the page about haggling about rent.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=36056

hey thanks for the reply. i have already read the topic in detail. it only tells you haggle or not to haggle. but it doesnt tell you how to haggle as in what sort of questions to ask how to be tactful things to notice about the house when you go for a viewing etc

HOLA443

hey thanks for the reply. i have already read the topic in detail. it only tells you haggle or not to haggle. but it doesnt tell you how to haggle as in what sort of questions to ask how to be tactful things to notice about the house when you go for a viewing etc

We didn't bother picking holes during the viewing but discussed it privately afterwards. The main points were decor being a bit tatty, old carpets etc still very liveable in and we liked the size of the place. All we did then was call the lettings agent up and told them we were interested in the place but could only offer them £750\month (advertised at £875\month) due to the condition. We just calmly pointed out the negatives and put our offer in based on lower than what we thought it was worth. The saying is very true though, if you don't feel uncomfortable with your initial offer you aren't low enough. Agent put it to the landlord who accepted the offer straight away. It turns out they were desperate to get it occupied as they had just remortaged the flat.

It wasn't much of a haggle but that was my experience.

HOLA444

thank you so much everyone all of this was very helpful one last question what to do when the agent straight away states that the landlord is not at all flexable....is that for real are they bluffing or is it possiable

HOLA445

thank you so much everyone all of this was very helpful one last question what to do when the agent straight away states that the landlord is not at all flexable....is that for real are they bluffing or is it possiable

IME in the SE, unless the rent is an obvious try-on, or the property one that is hard to shift, negotiating more than a nominal 25 quid off gets you nowhere.

tim