House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Democorruptcy

Record-Breaking Year For Jaguar Land Rover

Rich people getting richer and splashing out a bit of cash.

No wonder Jaguar workers are getting pay rises above RPI.

Jaguar Land Rover has posted record annual profits, according to owner Tata Motors.

The all-new Jaguar XJ

Jaguar has seen sales grow strongly in China

In the year to March 31, the firm had a turnover of £9.9bn, with a profit after tax of £1.04bn.

It is a dramatic turnaround for a company which only two years ago was seeking the Government's help to put a survival package together.

The company was considering closing one of its three UK manufacturing centres.

It is understood that JLR has plans to build a £750m engine plant somewhere in Britain, possibly in Wolverhampton, with the creation of 1,000 jobs.

A change in fortunes has been driven by emerging markets in China and India, where sales have been growing rapidly.

Heavy investment by owners Tata Motors has seen the development of new models such as the Range Rover Evoque and the Jaguar XJ.

Victoria Beckham

New models, like the Range Rover Evoque, are boosting sales

With the backing of Tata, JLR has a five-year plan to develop what it calls 40 new product actions.

These will include new models, new engines and other business developments.

It is a mark of their new-found confidence in the light of a rise in worldwide sales.

The British-built cars are seen as status symbols in places like China and India, where March 2011 sales were up 33% and 61% respectively.

In the UK, more Land Rovers were sold in March this year than any other month in the company's 63-year history.

Impressive sales figures have also been returned from Russia and Germany.

A spokesman for Jaguar Land Rover said that a billion pounds a year is being spent on product creation, with British-based research and development.

The company's success is also having a beneficial knock-on effect in the car component industry.

Sertec Engineering in Birmingham has been awarded an extra £10m of work a year by JLR to produce a number of parts for the new Range Rover Evoque.

As a result, Sertec has recruited 40 extra staff to cope with the workload.

Sertec managing director Grant Adams said: "We are so pleased to be associated with such a successful company. We all remember the bad times but the change has been so dramatic.

"In all, we now have £40m a year of work from Jaguar Land Rover alone. Tata have done a phenomenal job."

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/Jaguar-Land-Rover-Posts-Record-Profits-Following-Strong-Growth-in-China-Owner-Tata-Motors-Revealed/Article/201105416000068?lpos=Business_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_4&lid=ARTICLE_16000068_Jaguar_Land_Rover_Posts_Record_Profits_Following_Strong_Growth_in_China%2C_Owner_Tata_Motors_Revealed.

Edited by Redhat Sly

Don't forget you all benefited them when they needed it with cash for clunkers. Any chance we can go to them now and get our money back?

Nice to hear.

IMHO Jaguars current range is quite breathtaking. The only car I'd be tempted to replace my current (14 year old) motor with is a Jaguar XJ.

Nice to hear.

IMHO Jaguars current range is quite breathtaking. The only car I'd be tempted to replace my current (14 year old) motor with is a Jaguar XJ.

Naaah, I wouldn't swap my current old rust bucket for anything less than this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_SLS_AMG

Mercedes-SLS-AMG-4.jpg

Edited by wise_eagle

What ******ing austerity? These cars cost 40-50 thousand pounds.

Tales of squeezed consumers ring hollow in the face of such news.

The car I just posted above costs three times as much...

It was more a comment on the supposed fragility of the British consumer. More 40-50k cars in march than ever before. 8 years agoish 50k was half a decent house.

I like landrovers but where are these sales coming from? I'd suggest the squeezed middle is a myth.

It was more a comment on the supposed fragility of the British consumer. More 40-50k cars in march than ever before. 8 years agoish 50k was half a decent house.

As long as it's possible to pay a deposit of 5K (on credit card) and then monthly lease payments (probably also on credit card) to 'own' a 50 grand car, those cars will sell. It's all about maxing out credit cards to live it up in the short term, isn't it?

As long as it's possible to pay a deposit of 5K (on credit card) and then monthly lease payments (probably also on credit card) to 'own' a 50 grand car, those cars will sell. It's all about maxing out credit cards to live it up in the short term, isn't it?

Lass at my old work was telling me about her friend who is a good businessman cos' he just 'bought' an Aston Martin. It was only costing him £1,000 a month lease.

PUNE, India (Reuters) - Jaguar Land Rover, a unit of India's Tata Motors Ltd , will source components from India, its Chief Executive Ralph Speth said on Friday.

Jaguar Land Rover on Friday said it will start assembling Land Rover's Freelander SUV model at the company's plant in India near the western city of Pune.

How long before the whole production is shifted to the cheaper labour markets?

Don't forget you all benefited them when they needed it with cash for clunkers. Any chance we can go to them now and get our money back?

According to the article its emerging markets, China and India that are driving sales and not "cash for clunkers."

PUNE, India (Reuters) - Jaguar Land Rover, a unit of India's Tata Motors Ltd , will source components from India, its Chief Executive Ralph Speth said on Friday.

Jaguar Land Rover on Friday said it will start assembling Land Rover's Freelander SUV model at the company's plant in India near the western city of Pune.

How long before the whole production is shifted to the cheaper labour markets?

There is a risk, but it seems reasonable that if you want to access markets you at least build some manufacturing facility in those markets.

The UK used to insist, hence why Toyota, Nissan and Honda have facilities here. I suppose you could now Chinese owned MG to that mix.

Be nice if they were British owned and controlled however as we saw with MG Rover, they would only be looted, broken up, asset stripped, pumped full of debt and sold by sleazy businessmen and City types, extracting massive salaries at the same time "cos they are talented/worth it."

Best not to have any British involved at all in the senior management side.

Edited by Sir John Steed

The banking sector has increased the numbers of people able to afford high end cars. Demand will continue to increase as the majority in this country grow poorer. Its all a balancing act doncha see? The elites in Victorian times never had it so good and there were not a lot of them compared with the rest of the population. We have simply reverted back to the good old days when the rich are very rich and the rest were very poor. The pie is not infinite and those who have must take from those who are having less.

Nice to hear.

Seeing a lot of new ones out here in Saudi. Largely driven by Arabs. At least the UK is selling something....

Seeing a lot of new ones out here in Saudi. Largely driven by Arabs. At least the UK is selling something....

tata is foreign.

Just closed a UK steel plant IIRC.

I was a bit surprised by this story when I read it first thing this morning but when i was out i did see a fair amount of new land rovers, especially the high end ones such as Range Rovers and the Discovery.

Didnt see any jags though.

tata is foreign.

Rajan Tata is an advisor to Davie Cameron. Mr Tata is the head of Tata Group, India's largest conglomerate which owns Jaguar, Land Rover and Tetley Tea. And of course Tata Steel.

tata is foreign.

As are Ford and Vauxhall! And prior to Tata's acquisition of LRJ, it was owned by Ford.

Rajan Tata is an advisor to Davie Cameron. Mr Tata is the head of Tata Group, India's largest conglomerate which owns Jaguar, Land Rover and Tetley Tea. And of course Tata Steel.

Tetley Tea?

Will new Jags come with little perforations?

There is a risk, but it seems reasonable that if you want to access markets you at least build some manufacturing facility in those markets.

The UK used to insist, hence why Toyota, Nissan and Honda have facilities here. I suppose you could now Chinese owned MG to that mix.

Be nice if they were British owned and controlled however as we saw with MG Rover, they would only be looted, broken up, asset stripped, pumped full of debt and sold by sleazy businessmen and City types, extracting massive salaries at the same time "cos they are talented/worth it."

Best not to have any British involved at all in the senior management side.

Land Rover and Jag have always been seen as fairly prestigious british cars. Although they are now foreign owned they are still made here and still seen as british. I would imagine moving production to another country would have a huge impact on sales here. That doesnt mean to say they wont do it though.