House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cashinmattress

Police Use Helicopter To Find A Schoolboy Who Kicked A Football Through A Window

link

Police have defended themselves amid claims of heavy-handedness after using a helicopter and two officers to find a schoolboy who kicked a football through a greenhouse.

Tom Clarke, 15, was playing in a pub garden in Chalgrove, Oxfordshire, when a miss-kick sent the ball over a fence and into a glass pane next door.

Moments later a police helicopter which was flying in the area was spotted by an officer on the ground and asked to help find the culprit after the incident was reported by the greenhouse owner.

Tom apologised to the owner and will pay for the damage, according to Thames Valley Police, who said the case was treated as criminal damage. No arrests were made and no caution was issued but police said that any crime recorded could be used in an enhanced Criminal Records Bureau check if relevant to the job applied for.

Tom's father, Darrin Clarke, 42, accused officers of being heavy-handed, telling reporters that his son's "future work life is at risk because of a stupid accident playing football".

The TaxPayers' Alliance also questioned the appropriateness of the resources used.

Campaign director Emma Boon said: "With huge pressures on the police budgets there must be a more proportionate response to incidents like this. A kid accidentally kicking a football through a window should be a matter that neighbours can quietly resolve between them. It's sad that this was not the case in this instance."

Police said they would not scramble their helicopter for low-level crimes but that it may be asked to help by officers on the ground if already airborne nearby.

A police spokesman said: "Thames Valley Police works with limited resources and must ensure these are used appropriately. On this occasion, the crime had just occurred, therefore two officers were sent to deal with it.

"Thames Valley Police would not deploy the force helicopter for low-level crimes such as criminal damage. However, if the helicopter is already airborne and in the area they may be asked to assist by officers on the ground, as happened in this case."

Yes, we all know how boys love their toys. Even big boys in uniform. But this is taking the p1ss.

We're talking many thousands of pounds, over a few squids of broken glass, and what should be a smacked bottom.

Ridiculous.

Yes, we all know how boys love their toys. Even big boys in uniform. But this is taking the p1ss.

We're talking many thousands of pounds, over a few squids of broken glass, and what should be a smacked bottom.

Ridiculous.

Must of been the window of somebody with influence, as for mere peasants such things are not done!

Ridiculous.

the answer's in the question.. ;)

"Thames Valley Police would not deploy the force helicopter for low-level crimes such as criminal damage. However, if the helicopter is already airborne and in the area they may be asked to assist by officers on the ground, as happened in this case."

So, no money wasted. Bit of a non-story.

Eh, how so?

This is a summary offence at best, involving a minor.

And yes, helicopters are neither cheap to pilot and operate, and this is a waste of money.

But if you are keen on the police state, bravo.

But if you are keen on the police state, bravo.

That's quite a leap of faith.. but ok.

When your house gets burgled or your property gets nicked don't come looking for sympathy because the "police state" didn't do anything :P

Must of been the window of somebody with influence, as for mere peasants such things are not done!

+1

Yeah, a copper or someone with some local clout.

Riiiiiight, because police helicopters fuel is free and once they've taken off it's all coasting from there. :rolleyes:

That's quite a leap of faith.. but ok.

When your house gets burgled or your property gets nicked don't come looking for sympathy because the "police state" didn't do anything :P

A neighbours kid makes an errant kick with his football, busts a pane out of my greenhouse.

A junkie breaks into your house and knicks your laptop.

I see now why I failed to discriminate, they are exactly the same thing....

Riiiiiight, because police helicopters fuel is free and once they've taken off it's all coasting from there.

Say £200 per hour. 15 minutes work.. (probably less).

They'd probably waste more money just flying home "the scenic route".

A neighbours kid makes an errant kick with his football, busts a pane out of my greenhouse.

A junkie breaks into your house and knicks your laptop.

I see now why I failed to discriminate, they are exactly the same thing....

Well, you should have said.

If I had known it was just an innocent kid making an errant kick, and that all theft was by drug crazed junkies I expect that we would have reached the same conclusion.

Of course, we don't know either of these things because we don't have access to the police report and the above is a purely fictional account of events that we have concocted between us in our own little fantasy.

Fun though..

I'm a bit out of date, but I'd guess that something like a 'Twin Squirrel' would be more like £700 per hour than £200, based on a self fly hire rate.

Indeed. Since someone important moved in at the new build developement the police have been told to chase off the off road bikers that tarnish the area.

(Of course the way to solve the problem of off road bikes is to stop petrol stations selling to them)

Don't think £200 per hour is going to go far towards a twin turbine helicopter.

I'm a bit out of date, but I'd guess that something like a 'Twin Squirrel' would be more like £700 per hour than £200, based on a self fly hire rate.

That's about the money Bruce ;)

Playing devils advocate here i'm certain that those hours will be accounted for in the helicopter lease. Use them or lose them.

Don't think £200 per hour is going to go far towards a twin turbine helicopter.

Meh.. I guess that's what you get for trusting Yahoo answers Linky