House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Errol

Government Orders You Tube To Censor Protest Videos

In a frightening example of how the state is tightening its grip around the free Internet, it has emerged that You Tube is complying with thousands of requests from governments to censor and remove videos that show protests and other examples of citizens simply asserting their rights, while also deleting search terms by government mandate.

Full article - http://www.infowars.com/government-orders-you-tube-to-censor-protest-videos/

The latest example is You Tube’s compliance with a request from the British government to censor footage of the British Constitution Group’s Lawful Rebellion protest, during which they attempted to civilly arrest Judge Michael Peake at Birkenhead county court.

When viewers in the UK attempt to watch videos of the protest, they are met with the message, “This content is not available in your country due to a government removal request.” -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esGqizRDo6w&feature=player_embedded

Hopefully one of the Newspapers will request the name of the government department, and individual Minister responsible.

Under the Freedom of Information Act

Is there a right honorable 'Minister for the destruction of civil liberties and Fascism'?

When viewers in the UK attempt to watch videos of the protest, they are met with the message, "This content is not available in your country due to a government removal request." -

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

How come I can see it then?

When viewers in the UK attempt to watch videos of the protest, they are met with the message, "This content is not available in your country due to a government removal request." -

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

This is ridiculous, in China Google was playing hardball and refusing to bent to their censorship but in the west Google censors without hesitation.

So much for Google being pro-liberties, to me they have always seemed like a helper of the global elite (mostly collecting data about everyone for the benefit of any official agency that needs it).

I have just watched the above video, I'm not currently in the UK so I can confirn it's only blocked for UK viewers.

I don't see on what legal basis the UK government can demand that video to be censored.

Woops!

Just realised I can see it cause I have HideMy Ip Running.

Which is what will happen. As Anti-Democratic Governments become more despotic. Showing their true fascist colours.

People will be pushed underground.

Here are a couple of easy freeware programmes which will help hide your identity [as you surf annonymously they give you a USA IP address]

http://www.free-hideip.com/

http://www.peerblock.com/

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJDIw-5clOxUHC7glYnejQsZi4Zfm6BY1GrqmGg0-oH8n8jR-OEQ

Be careful with those IP blockers and anonymizers, some of them spy on you more than the government.

NEVER EVER USE THEM when you do your online-banking, in fact don't even use the same PC for that, even if you disable these programs or plugins they could still be spying on you.

I don't see on what legal basis the UK government can demand that video to be censored.

Filming within a Court of Law I believe.

The footage from outside the venue wasn't censored.

Filming within a Court of Law I believe.

The footage from outside the venue wasn't censored.

Nope, given that the judge refused to provide his oath the court was illegal, therefore it's not technically filming within a Court of Law.

In a frightening example of how the state is tightening its grip around the free Internet, it has emerged that You Tube is complying with thousands of requests from governments to censor and remove videos that show protests and other examples of citizens simply asserting their rights, while also deleting search terms by government mandate.

Full article - http://www.infowars.com/government-orders-you-tube-to-censor-protest-videos/

The latest example is You Tube’s compliance with a request from the British government to censor footage of the British Constitution Group’s Lawful Rebellion protest, during which they attempted to civilly arrest Judge Michael Peake at Birkenhead county court.

When viewers in the UK attempt to watch videos of the protest, they are met with the message, “This content is not available in your country due to a government removal request.” -

We are moving towards - if not already there - a police state. Video surveillance under the guise of combatting crime will/is be used against protesters. Fortunately - it occasionally backfires - as the recent charge of manslaughter against a London policeman has shown. But this is a rarity. As far as UK news media is concerned - forget it - they support the government line. Often a better perspective on what really is going on in the UK can be seen on the foreign news agencies - Euronews, Al Jazeera, PressTV and RT - these will of course also have inherent biases - but at least they provide a much needed balance. On the financial front a 'must see' is Max Keiser on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the 'Kesier Report' on RT (Russia today news) - also 'on the edge' with Max Keiser is available on PressTV.

Notice the UK's news coverage on perceived 'bogeymen' of democracy - Yemen, Libya and Syria - but nothing on the brutality going on against protestors and medical personnel in Bahrain - a Khalifa was actually invited to the royal wedding - astonishingly - the UK masses seem unaware or do not care about what is going on. Pensions raided - or deferred in order to support the scum running the financial sector. Bernie Madoff ripped off his rich and it seems equally corrupt clients and got substantial jail time - the major banks and others devastated whole populations already living close to the wire with no redress.

The UK authorities are mindful of the Greek and Spanish protests and also of the uprisings in the middle east - IMO they will attempt to crush any uprising here with a similar dictatorial ruthlessness. Armed troops were once used to crush a miners rebellion in South Wales. The powerful will survive - the poor crushed - make no mistake. The UK is thoroughly corrupt - with the poor financing the excesses of the fraudsters in finance and elsewhere.

We are moving towards - if not already there - a police state. ire with no redress.

Im afraid I agree with that.

Be careful with those IP blockers and anonymizers, some of them spy on you more than the government.

NEVER EVER USE THEM when you do your online-banking, in fact don't even use the same PC for that, even if you disable these programs or plugins they could still be spying on you.

Do you have any evidence of that? [im sure some will be harboring trojans]

But the links Ive posted are used by hundreds of thousands if not millions.

And even such simple software does make it a lot more difficult for big brother.

Do you have any evidence of that? [im sure some will be dodgy]

But the links Ive posted are used by hundreds of thousands if not millions.

I have no evidence of any specific software being spyware since I don't use Windows or Windows software at all, but as a techie (working in corporate IT for over 15 years) I have seen plenty of cases where Windows freeware contained spyware and anonymizer tools and proxies are especially ideal for this.

Also the following user comment for Hidemyip is interesting in this respect:

"May Include Malware - Keylogger"

by sgrussell on October 29, 2010

Pros: Seemed to work as advertised when first installed the 3-day trial.

Cons: At some point during the Hide-My-IP trial, I rcvd advisory from anti-keylogger (Zemana), that HMI wanted to do keylogging. Not knowing why HMI would need to log keystrokes, I blocked the request. Later noticed that HMI was no longer working.

Summary: Maybe there's a legitimate reason why Hide-My-IP would need to log keystrokes in order to work. But until I know why that would be the case, I prefer not to trust it. Especially given that other users have posted on cnet about malware related to Hide-My-IP.

Also various open proxies are known to be run by organizations with the purpose of spying on the web traffic of it's users.

http://download.cnet.com/Hide-My-IP/3000-2144_4-75185020.html' rel="external nofollow">

errr I think Dan1 may have just had a heart attack :unsure:

It is fairly easy to hide your true location without using dodgy proxies... DYOR is always best with this sort of thing...

It is more than just TFH territory though. There are some very useful applications of being able to appear from another location, watching censored videos being just one.

Nope, given that the judge refused to provide his oath the court was illegal, therefore it's not technically filming within a Court of Law.

Is it public property?

Just watch this one instead (although obviously watching a bunch of scousers attempting to avoid arrest won't be to everyone's sensibilities)

but as a techie (working in corporate IT for over 15 years) http://download.cnet.com/Hide-My-IP/3000-2144_4-75185020.html' rel="external nofollow">

I think thats a little disingeuos, as There are many more positive comments than negative.

But as a Corporate IT techie, can you suggest a good method of anonymity?

[i use kaspersky, and Malware bytes and other software which has always worked very well in picking up trojans.]

I think thats a little disingeuos, as There are many more positive comments than negative.

Spyware doesn't exactly announce itself as spyware, as long as the apparent functionality of the software is working most people will be happy with it and never notice the spyware bit and therefore give it positive ratings. I'm not saying that I know this software contains spyware, but I do know that it could, therefore I would be careful.

But as a Corpoate IT techie, can you suggest anything positive?

This is a bit off topic but I would be using a virtual machine (VMware or other) to run a separate browser inside the virtual machine with these plugins.

At least that way you completely isolate the suspicious software to the virtual machine, it won't be able to spy on anything else you do on your PC including anything you do in the 'main' browser.

Why not just instal them on a virtual machine sharing the ethernet and use that for surfing blocked pages and the real machine to do the banking etc. No more worries?

Edit: and I just got to the post 2 up :rolleyes:

Sections of the non English speaking side of Al Jazeera might be blocked in this country, my friend from abroad was telling me tonight when I was discussing this so they are going to track down some examples for me so I can investigate.

Well to put an opposing view to the thread, is it not better to avoid giving some people ideas? Afterall nearly every mindless moron wants to be a celebrity and you only have to look at the facebook supporters for Raul Moat as an example of people with questionable common sense.

Now does it serve any purpose to give the public ideas and whip up anger that results in people taking to the streets and the inevitable destruction of property and infrastructure that could occur? Where would it stop if the anger is enough? You should take a look at some of the MOD threat assesments not just from foreign countries but from new technologies and dispersal of information.

We all ultimately share the costs to repair any destruction that takes place in this country, not exactly something we can afford right now*, so would it not be better to be constructive and innovative. I havent renewed unemploymentday.com and unhappyvoter.com for example so maybe setup a support group on these domain names to help channel the negative energy into positive energy thus collectively putting society first instead of oneself. :)

Edit: Not just monetary costs but further or an accelerated lose of civil liberties. Its a very fine line balancing these issues.

No, it's not a fine line.

Your line is government knows best. Mine is that people know best, whoever they are, and government gets to clean up the mess.

It's a running cost of democracy.

How come I can see it then?

Just realised I can see it cause I have HideMy Ip Running.

Had a feeling you might be running something along those lines if you could still see the vid.

I have no evidence of any specific software being spyware since I don't use Windows or Windows software at all

Hopefully you use Linux.

List of Mac spyware

Oh great. Another nutter thread posted by (and commented on) by the usual idiots. You people ruin this forum.