House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Milton

What Interesting Things Can I Learn?

As Above.

Another Language? [spanish, French, Swedish, Italian, or something more obscure? Anglo Saxon, Gaelic, Latin?] [Rosetta Stone]

Do a short Open University course on Planetary Science and Astronomy?

Learn to play a Musical Instrument?

Digital Photography.

Just looking for interesting subjects to learn. Does not have to be a hobby.

[*Im not looking for a new career.]

What are yours?

Good question. But I'd probably start with: why do you want to learn something new? or I did in my case. That then gives you the motivation to take something on and see it through. I'm learning French because its one of the official languages of the UN.

I do ancient history of the cosmos, the planet, human beings, how we evolved, ancient races and try to track our movements, get my head around our journey.

At the same time I am fascinated by the universes, dark matter, galaxies, black holes, quarks, etc.

I am trying to identify our journey.

So it is a mixed scientific, historical, spirituali quest for learning.

I was, for example, only the other night reading up on the history of Irael, or the many different entities that were Israel and the various different peoples who inhabited those lands. By doing this I went off at numerous tangents into Egyptian history, Persian and Assyrian history.

Failing thatm you could learn how to pleasure a woman.

I'm quite interested in pylons! :blink:

I'm quite interested in pylons! :blink:

Somewhat strange.

I'm learning French. It's very satisfying. Although Rosetta stone is quite expensive.

Glaciology is very interesting. Did it at Uni and rather enjoyed it.

As Above.

Another Language? [spanish, French, Swedish, Italian, or something more obscure? Anglo Saxon, Gaelic, Latin?] [Rosetta Stone]

Digital Photography.

What are yours?

From your list I would love to learn Spanish fluently (I know some) and have always wanted to play the guitar.... Advanced first aid is a good skill to have.

Native tree and plant identification. Hugely satisfying if you walk.

From your list I would love to learn Spanish fluently (I know some) and have always wanted to play the guitar.... Advanced first aid is a good skill to have.

You would have been a great asset in the Spanish Civil War! ;):blink:

I have all those books.

Thats just a myth isnt it?

Although Rosetta stone is quite expensive.

Flog downloaded Torrents ona disc in the market for a fiver. Probably blow up my pc though.

Glaciology is very interesting. Did it at Uni and rather enjoyed it.

One of those Geologists/Archaeologists/Academic type jobs, which take you to obscure barren places like antarctica look pretty damn cool. Past it now though.

Advanced first aid is a good skill to have.

Yes, that would be good. But expensive I guess. Time Consuming also?

More Ideas.........

I do ancient history of the cosmos, the planet, human beings, how we evolved, ancient races and try to track our movements, get my head around our journey.

At the same time I am fascinated by the universes, dark matter, galaxies, black holes, quarks, etc.

I am trying to identify our journey.

So it is a mixed scientific, historical, spirituali quest for learning.

I was, for example, only the other night reading up on the history of Irael, or the many different entities that were Israel and the various different peoples who inhabited those lands. By doing this I went off at numerous tangents into Egyptian history, Persian and Assyrian history.

money.jpg

+

Christian%20Louboutin%20N.%20Prive%20Suede%20calf%20red%20heels%20black.jpg

+

19514596.jpg

+

Dayga-T2-6inch_15cm_Table_top_Tripod.jpg

+

8259055-surprise-present--young-woman-sleeping-in-white-bedroom.jpg

Here endeth the lesson.

Go for music and mathematics.

Those are the only two universal 'languages'.

Maths will keep your brain fresh, and music will invigorate your soul.

Good point. [someone mentioned a few weeks ago some obscure branch of maths, or mathematical problem, you shoud tackle if you had some spare time.]I read Kubrick used to do this.

Go for music and mathematics.

Those are the only two universal 'languages'.

Maths will keep your brain fresh, and music will invigorate your soul.

Music sounds a lot nicer than maths, but even Richard Feynmann played the bongos! :o

Good point. [someone mentioned a few weeks ago some obscure branch of maths, or mathematical problem, you shoud tackle if you had some spare time.]I read Kubrick used to do this.

Probably one of these problems:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems

I think I'd probably try to learn something useful in day to day life like cooking, or something you could do regularly, as anything else you'd likely forget.

As Above.

Digital Photography.

What are yours?

Have you looked at the OU website?

Stacks of options, inc. classical Greek and Latin, if you fancy ancient languages.

The OU can be addictive, mind you, not to mention time-consuming. I'm on about my 6th course, currently the 19th century novel. Not everybody's cup of tea, I know. Have also done several classical studies courses, among others.

Have you looked at the OU website?

Stacks of options, inc. classical Greek and Latin, if you fancy ancient languages.

The OU can be addictive, mind you, not to mention time-consuming. I'm on about my 6th course, currently the 19th century novel. Not everybody's cup of tea, I know. Have also done several classical studies courses, among others.

Tell me about it...I'm currently on my 3rd & 4th short courses...They are bloody addictive...There are at least 30 others I want to do...

As Above.

Digital Photography.

What are yours?

If you like foreign food, check out some English websites about said foreign food. Start up an automatic payment scheme into a holiday account (say, 150 pounds a month), start learning the language, and in a year's time, you'll have the competency to order and the money to take a vacation to the country where you will order your meal.

To get you started, check out http://kyotofoodie.com/ (never mind Osaka, Tokyo and the rest). Stay away from Fukushima, mind you...

+1

The two I keep waiting to come up for evening classes are welding (I have a long term aim of having a classic car) and Tai Chi (I like the idea of a daily set of ritualised movements). And yes I know there are plenty of websites but it's not the same as having a teacher, which is why TBF makes a decent living teaching guitar.

I have done so many knowledge-cramming courses in my time I have no real interest in consuming any more data and the last thing I need is another academic qualification. When people say they want to learn a language I always ask why. Sometimes they have a specific reason (one friend who was marrying a German girl and wanted to converse with the in-laws) but generally it seems a bit pointless.

(I have a long term aim of having a classic car)

Welding is useful!

If you keep your current car long enough, it will become classic, and you will become eccentric! ;)

....how about something creative such as:

Woodwork.

Painting.

Photography.

Cooking.

Pottery.

Gardening.

Taking more of an interest in nature and the world around you by walking, looking, touching, feeling,smelling and tasting....as was said, learning how to identify plants and animals, clouds, weather and the changing seasons...learn how to fish. ;)

Taking more of an interest in nature and the world around you by walking, looking, touching, feeling,smelling and tasting....as was said, learning how to identify plants and animals, clouds, weather and the changing seasons...learn how to fish. ;)

"I see you" Pocahontas! ;):huh:

Sad now that GM have wound down their Pontiac division! :angry: