House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Denmark Bans Marmite

And any product with added vitamins:

Horlicks, Ovaltine and Farley's Rusks

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/24/denmark-bans-marmite

This seems mad, or do any of our nutritionists approve?

I did however like their way of dealing with press enquiries:

A spokesman for the DVFA said he was too busy to talk about it on Tuesday.

http://www.guardian....rk-bans-marmite

Apparently, they've also banned some Kellogg's breakfast cereals for the same reason.

Far as I'm concerned, all Marmite could disappear from the face of the earth and I wouldn't notice.

Hmmm....never thought of myself as a Diane Abbott Clone.huh.gif

slap some marmite all over your face then look in the mirror. You might be pleasantly suprised

Any country that bans Marmite is doing something right. You may well argue that that's too much state interference but Marmite has no right to exist and nothing at all is too Draconian if it moves an inch towards eradicating it from the face of the Earth.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/24/denmark-bans-marmite

Ridiculous and for once not an EU edict. As long as the product is clearly labelled as being fortified whats the problem?

Ridiculous and for once not an EU edict. As long as the product is clearly labelled as being fortified whats the problem?

Well, there's a question. Perhaps they know something we don't.

Any country that bans Marmite is doing something right. You may well argue that that's too much state interference but Marmite has no right to exist and nothing at all is too Draconian if it moves an inch towards eradicating it from the face of the Earth.

Yup considering Marmite is made from the scum which floats to the top of various yeast fermenting processes, and it is close to 100% MSG its a good move....

Marketting men know their stuff though!

Yup considering Marmite is made from the scum which floats to the top of various yeast fermenting processes, and it is close to 100% MSG its a good move....

What a load of rubbish. I worked for a large brewery and the yeast extract is simply a byproduct formed from the fermentation of barley. We supplied that extract to Unilever who made - Marmite

I'm not bothered about all of that stuff. The problem I have with it is that it is simply vile. It's true that it's either a love it or hate it thing which IMO just goes to show that half the world are mad (or have their tongues wired backwards :) )

Well, there's a question. Perhaps they know something we don't.

Given that most of us are well depleted of most vitamins and minerals without supplementation fortification is one way to address that. However I beleive where food is fortified consumers should have a clear choice.

Marmite however is fairly natural but for the addition of B12 to make it complete.

Lyndsay Jensen, a Yorkshire-born graphic designer in Copenhagen, despaired of the move.

"They don't like it because it's foreign," she said, adding that she already planned to send off for supplies from abroad. "But if they want to take my Marmite off me they'll have to wrench it from my cold dead hands."

Lyndsay Loves it !!

What about banning beer then, is not marmite made from the waste yeast from the beer brewing industry. ;)

The key is the word 'waste', so it's analagous to other sorts of waste that end up in the sewers - a very apt analogy, I feel.

What a load of rubbish. I worked for a large brewery and the yeast extract is simply a byproduct formed from the fermentation of barley. We supplied that extract to Unilever who made - Marmite

Looks like we work (or you did) for the same brewery.

We supply the yeast free of charge now AFAIK

So many haters and ladyboys !

I love the stuff

pet fave ...mushrooms fried in butter and marmite (50/50)....on toast with the juices poured over the top ...for added pleasure add a few chopped shallots and ground black pepper

theres tasty for you !

So many haters and ladyboys !

I love the stuff

pet fave ...mushrooms fried in butter and marmite (50/50)....on toast with the juices poured over the top ...for added pleasure add a few chopped shallots and ground black pepper

theres tasty for you !

Hell Yeah !!

Marmite & Dairylea slice spread on toast or if possible, in a Brevill... Great after a skinfull at the pub....

Marmite, Worcestershire Sauce or Barbecue Sauce make toast a lot more fun.

If you return to the UK after a long while living in SE Asia what strikes you about British cookery is the absence of simple or natural, strong flavours.

Lime, coconut, lemon grass, chilli, sambal, soy, rendang, teriyaki, fish sauce all super flavours broadly absent from traditional standard British fare.

I'm sure those genuinely concerned about nutrition wouldn't touch marmite with a bargepole.

The problem appears to be with the fortification, so I guess if they remove it, then it would not be banned. Can't see it changing the taste very much.